Fretless bass / acoustic guitar / sonic windows

JMarcomb

Been pretty busy lately... but ill be around this weekend to check out everybodys tunes that are floating around here.

Heres the latest Ive come up with...

I know the drums are monotonous as usual .. so i might fix them up sometime.

I fix the intonation on my fretless... so it feels good to play her again.

Thanks for the listen

Sonic window

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1564/singles

I've gotta say that there's some amazing talent on this board! You are right up there man! Not only was the musicianship superb, but the flow of that mix was excellent! Nice use of the fx, not overdone at all. You have all kinds of subtle stuff goin on there that comes and goes so smoothly...man I really liked it!

bd

This is probably my favorite of yours so far Jeff.You're getting this instrumental thing down.The mix sounds good on my computers speakers.Compared to other light jazz that I listen to on these speakers it's just as good.

Nice melody right out of the gate.When are you gonna have another CD's worth of material ready?

5 stars from me.

JMarcomb said:
Been pretty busy lately... but ill be around this weekend to check out everybodys tunes that are floating around here.

Heres the latest Ive come up with...

I know the drums are monotonous as usual .. so i might fix them up sometime.

I fix the intonation on my fretless... so it feels good to play her again.

Thanks for the listen

Sonic window

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1564/singles

good stuff. the switch around the 2:10 needs to come earlier. also, try doubling the main nylon guitar part with an electric that is not plugged in. put the mic up close to the strings. if you can nail the double you will be surprised by the outcome.

go check out the band acoustic alchemy (http://www.acoustic-alchemy.net/). these guys are amazing!

Man this makes my one way speakers sing!!

Just beautifull, recording, playing, everything!

GT

bdbdbuck

Really appreciate the fine comments you made. I did pay a little more attention to the use of effects... namely-reverb. I actually mixed half of the song at night with headphones... and then rechecked the mix on my monitors (which usually needs some tweaking). Another important thing was having all my acoustic guitar tracks cut on the low end @75Hz 18db/OCT... really helps to keep the clairty and loose the mud.

Again, I really enjoyed your comments

Thanks

Kramer

Thanks alot Kramer. :) Im really trying hard to get a couple good songs tweaked because we have a smooth jazz station in town and the dj told me to bring in some songs for him to check out. So hopefully I can get them to sound good enough for the radio... should be exciting at any rate.

Im getting close to having enough material for another cd, but im starting to get more and more picky... so ive been scraping some stuff unless I think it has potential.

But, I should have a solid cd by the end of the year.

Thanks for you comments and question.

a_super_critic

Thanks for your critique.

I didnt use a nylon guitar in this piece like you mentioned... it must be the way i pick.

I had some strong song structure here and went with the half time feel @ 2:10 ... thats very common to put that after 2 verses and 2 chourses... so im not too sure if it would jiv before that... but i guess you could do anything if you wanted.

Im using a stereo pair of mics on my acoustic.. and capturing a "real" image of it. If i were to put an dry electric guitar overdub against the acoustic I think it would sound unatural... something im not shooting for.

Thanks for your comments!

Guernica

Hey im calling your boss and telling him to let you have the day off...

and im having him put you in for a raise.

:eek:

GT

:) Glad to know the mix sounds good on a mono system.(i think thats what ya meant by one-way :) ) I guess thats a really good way to check a mix.
Im glad everything sounded good on your end and thanks for your ears!

B.SABBATH

great to hear! now if I could just get that Enigma flute in there and maybe I could have simialr success :) haha

ENIGMA CHART POSITIONS

Sadeness MCMXC a.D.
single album

chart positions/sales trophies

Argentina -/- 7/gold
Australia 2/gold 2/gold, platinum
Austria 1/gold 3/gold
Belgium 1/platinum 1/gold, platinum
Brazil 1/- 1/gold
Canada 1/- 7/gold, platinum
Denmark 1/- 7/silver
England 1/gold -/gold
Finland 6/- 3/-
France 1/gold 1/gold, double platinum
Germany 1/gold, platinum 3/gold, platinum
Greece 1/- 1/silver
Hong Kong 1/- -/-
Ireland 1/- -/-
Israel 1/- -/gold
Italy 1/silver -/gold
Japan 13/- 40/-
Korea -/- 1/gold
Malaysia 1/gold -/gold, platinum
Mexico -/- -/gold
Netherlands 1/gold 5/gold, platinum
New Zealand 2/gold 2/gold
Norway 1/- 4/silver
Portugal 1/- 1/gold, platinum
Singapore 1/- 1/gold, double platinum
South Africa 1/- 1/gold, platinum
Spain 1/- 1/gold, platinum
Sweden 1/platinum 3/gold
Switzerland 1/- 2/gold, platinum
Taiwan -/- 3/gold, platinum
Thailand 4/- -/-
Turkey -/- -/gold
USA 5/gold 6/gold, platinum
Venezuela 1/- 1/-

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...................... i love it. I'm a huge fan of yours. Have been for years. Can't wait til your tour gets out West. Seriously though, this is fantastic. I'm really into this genre and your stuff ranks right up there. The only thing I hate about the genre is how the damn dj's are always whispering. WTF!!!??? Speak up, damnit!!!! Anywho, great stuff.

GT

:) Glad to know the mix sounds good on a mono system.(i think thats what ya meant by one-way :) ) I guess thats a really good way to check a mix.
Im glad everything sounded good on your end and thanks for your ears!

JM,

No, I meant stereo full range speakers, not woofers, and tweeters.

Once again, great recording!!

GT

Impeccably played and extremely tasteful. The sound of the guitar is just beatiful.

Cut the above out and use it as my critque for any other mp3 you post. :)

I keep getting this error message when opening the nowhereradio files in my windows media player. It's never happened before. Any ideas? The windows media player help support doesn't say much.

"Cannot open. Please verify that the path and filename are correct and try again."

As I posted in the NWR forums, the Windows Media server is offline for upgrades and maintenance.

Use another player, or download the track!

W.

Man, I'd love to be able to handle bass the way you do, mix-wise - subtle yet definitely *felt*, round, smooth, distinct.... nice. Probably has much to do with the playing.:)

Nice job.

Chris

i like the tone on that bass guitar. very nice. this song is one of the better ones i've heard from you.

only thing that threw me was the occasional disconnect between the bass git and the bass drum pattern.

listening again though, it actually sounds kinda cool. just not what i expect to hear.

nice work jeff.

JR#97

Thanks a bunch JR. Haha.. yeah the Djs do whisper and talk all appropriate on the smoother jazz stations.. it is kinda funny. but that is another talent in itself. :)

Toki987

Yeah... id recommend ya get your old fretless back :) One day I grabbed some pliers and tore the frets out of my yamaha ('79) bass... I had to use wood filler because the fretboard was all chipped up from the pliers... :eek: .. i didnt even have the right tools (fret puller). After finding out that the intonation was was off... I decided to put the bass on Ebay... nobody would buy it for $200... so I had to keep it! Im still making music with it so thats good :)
Fretless basses have a more emotional sound to them apposed to the fretted... I think.

GT

oh... Gotcha! Im gonna have to sign up with a fancy music mag to catch up on all this monitoring lingo :) Thanks gt

Jim Soloway

Hey Jim... Its great to hear the mix is still sounding good across all systems :) It really stinks when you put a mix together and it sounds great on your home system ... then you take it into you car and it sounds like rap music :eek: :)

Really enjoy your jazz style as well!

Thanks!

dachay2tnr

Thanks alot for for that really cool comment!
I wonder when the next time we can hear some liquid smooth vocals tunes from ya!

talk to ya soon!

rpe

Yeah... from reading Waldos post.. he working on his media player application.. but im sure youll be able to use media player soon!

thanks for trying

TheRealWaldo

Appreciate the help waldo!

Im using the new Redhat 8.0 on my webserver now... and it seems to be working great! I think the coolest part is the 40 something cool looking screensavers.. though i dont run 'em.

I know your a command line junkie :) so you dont use the GUI

thanks man

A1A2

Really glad ya enjoyed this a1a... i'll try to keep the same standard throught my next songs
thanks

groucho

Hey chris... yeah i would guess playing has alot to do with the sound because the bass that i used (converted fretless yamaha bb2000) wouldnt even sell for $200 :) . I did run it through my rnp though so that smoothed out the signal a little bit.

thanks chris

erichenryus

Im using a few of passing tones on the bass, but im not sure if you mean im out of sync on a part... i'll have to go back and listen if you can give me a location.

thanks for the listen E!

damn...now you are going to make me want to go out and get a fretless.

too nice for words. I notice YOUR style RIGHT OFF THE BAT. That's the best compliment I can offer I would think... great style too.

Back