Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Naiant omni condensers

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Realistic 1070b dynamic omni

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Sennheiser E609 dynamic cardiod cabinet mic

Votes: 9 20.5%

• Total voters
FWIW Bob Ohlsson is an active poster on www.gearslutz.com and www.prosoundweb.com

IMHO it would be wise to also weigh Michael Joly's opinion on vocal mics at the highest level
also. (I have great respect for Jim Williams also a pro AE/ mic modifier too)

Chris

P.S. I'm saving a spare "non-USA" SM57 for a possible transformer mod-am leaving the other "Unidyne IIIs" SM57 alone as it sounds great as-is.

fifty dollar mics thread

FWIW Bob Ohlsson is an active poster on www.gearslutz.com and www.prosoundweb.com

IMHO it would be wise to also weigh Michael Joly's opinion on vocal mics at the highest level
also. (I have great respect for Jim Williams also a pro AE/ mic modifier too)

Chris

P.S. I'm saving a spare "non-USA" SM57 for a possible transformer mod-am leaving the other "Unidyne IIIs" SM57 alone as it sounds great as-is.

Chris,

Thanks man. I found him on GearSlutz. Maybe I'll get some help from him. (hopefully)

Michael Joly weighed in on the fifty dollar mic thread that is the parent to this thread. I found his reviews to be concise and cogent.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=273636 - fifty dollar mics

In fact it was one of Michael's questions that sent me off on this gonfaloon.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Cool.

BTW I just posted a thread at Gearslutz about "eating" (super close-up) a '57 ala Ian Anderson, then asking how to EQ it. Some helpful info on dealing with the SM57...

Chris

MoDog,

If I were selling mics on commission I wouldn't be talking up a lot of low dollar and used solutions either. That said I have found the Sweetwater reps to be helpful and not too pushy. And they often have good prices.

Fortunately I'm on the homerecording BBS helping people make good recordings without spending a fortune. Cause let's face it. Most of us don't have a fortune. And we can't stop recording.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

I agree with you Larry and I should have used a smile to indicate my wisecrack.
Sweetwater is a good outfit and they will bend over backwards to help you with something you've purchased from them.

I knew it was a joke

I agree with you Larry and I should have used a smile to indicate my wisecrack.
Sweetwater is a good outfit and they will bend over backwards to help you with something you've purchased from them.

MoDog,

I knew it was a joke and I wasn't trying to put you down or even disagree. I never use smilies. Well almost never.

Salesmen sell stuff. The smartest move I ever made in my computer business was getting out of VAR (Value Added Reseller) and moving to just consulting. Whenever you sell and consult their is always an inherent conflict of interest. Still it's good when salepeople know their stuff you just have to remember they're sales first and advice second.

When I started buying mics on the internet and researching them I just wanted to hear one real person say the mic worked good for him or her. And sometimes it's hard to find that buried in all the hype.

So we're all on here helping each other out and who knows how many other people are getting help at the same time.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Does this count?

I just saw an add on craigslist for an audix i5 and an sm57, just went out and bought them both for $100. They were the real deal and look brand new and he threw in two cables and a boom stand! :D

Sorry had to gloat somewhere.. one down side though... ...SMOKER!

-josh

Gloat all you want...I picked up 10 SM58s and 4 SM57s with a Senn MD421 for $125 recently.

I did notice the glaring omition of the SM57 and SM58 from the poll...most of us buy used anyway.

Ehr... Maybe I'm Mr. Stupid question again (what's new)...

But where the h*ll do you get Electrovoice mics for $50?

Links are very welcome.

I think they are talking about the EV CO4 mics...arround $40 at Guitar center...but Im not sure if it is the same where you are.

No, in the $50 poll is the EV 635a. In the extra list Harry post is the RE 10 / 15. In Europe (where I am) and on US Ebay these go for over $100.

There's some more mics in there to which I would very much like to know where they can be bought for $50. If anyone could direct me to an online store that does these prices it would be much apreciated.

If I were one of those internet forum dickheads I would just write

Electro-Voice RE15
/thread

oh, wait, I am one of those internet forum dickheads...

RE15 doesnt count...because I got mine for free...when I was in school the AV department left a stand with one out in the hallway unattended:cool:

SM57 and SM58

I did notice the glaring omition of the SM57 and SM58 from the poll...most of us buy used anyway.

Darrin,

It's actually hard to find an SM57 for $50. $90 new but they hold their value like crazy. Also I worry that the $50 SM57 might be a fake.

I got mine for free but that was one of those special deals.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

EV mics

Ehr... Maybe I'm Mr. Stupid question again (what's new)...

But where the h*ll do you get Electrovoice mics for $50?

Links are very welcome.

Chris,

I've bought many EV mics on ebay under $50. I highly recommend the PL80 which often sells for less than it's worth. I also got my RE11 under $50. These EV dynamics are very reliable.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Just a short list of mics I got for less than $50.00:

AKG D1000E--$5.00 at flea market
Shure 565D--$15.00 at flea market
Shure 588SD--$5.00 at yard sale
Optimus 33-3023--$15.00 as close out
Optimus 33-3032 drum mic--$15.00 as close out
Optimus 33-3030 omni--$2.00 at Salvation Army
BeyerDynamic X1N--found laying on top of a box at the dump, apparently WVU
bought new equipment.
Pair of CAD e70 SDC with case--$40.00 from Craigslist

Granted, these were acquired over several years, it shows you can get usable mics cheap if you keep your eyes and ears open.

Darrin,

It's actually hard to find an SM57 for $50. $90 new but they hold their value like crazy. Also I worry that the $50 SM57 might be a fake.

I got mine for free but that was one of those special deals.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

You have to know the difference between the fake and real ones...its not hard...besides you see old ones all the time...most of mine are scratched up and old but I can say that Ive never paid more than $20 for one.

Back