Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Realistic 1070b dynamic omni

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Sennheiser E609 dynamic cardiod cabinet mic

Votes: 9 20.5%

• Total voters

hairylarry

Hi,

You can choose more than one but you can only vote once.

This is a list of the recommended fifty dollar mics from my fifty dollar mic thread.

Now I know as soon as anyone puts up a poll someone logs on and says but you left off mic X or mic Y. Please do. I'm counting on you.

The rule is used or new the mic can be had for around fifty bucks or less. So the SM57 and SM58 which hold a high used value due to their popularity are not on the list. If you see mics on the list that can't really be found for $50 let me know.

Plus the mic has to be a good studio quality mic that you would use to make recordings. We're not recommending crappy mics just because they're cheap.

It's surprising the number of mics in this poll considering the severely restrained financial criteria.

Please vote and comment here and in the fifty dollar mic thread.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

PS - The poll only allows 12 so here's the whole list. I'm picking the 12 most deserving IMHO for the poll.

AKG D120E dynamic cardiod
AKG D690 dynamic hypercardiod instrument mic
AKG D770 dynamic cardiod vocal mic
AKG Perception 100 cardiod condenser
AKG Perception 200 cardiod condenser
Audio Technica 831b lav mic cardiod condenser
Audio Technica AT2020 cardiod condenser
Audix OM2 dynamic cardiod
Blue Kickball
CAD GXL 3000 cardiod, omni, figure 8 condenser
EV 631 dynamic omni
EV 635a dynamic omni
EV 647a lav mic dynamic omni
EV 649b lav mic dynamic omni
EV CO4 dynamic cardiod
EV PL5 same as EV 635a
EV PL80 dynamic cardiod vocal mic
EV RE 10, 15 dynamic cardiod with reduced proximity effect
EV RE 11, 16, 18 dynamic cardiod with reduced proximity effect and pop filter
GLS ES57 SM57 clone
GLS ES58 SM58 clone
Karma K10 pencil condensers
Karma K Micro
MCA SP-1 cardiod condenser
MXL 990 cardiod condenser
MXL V63M cardiod condenser
Naiant omni condensers
Realistic 1070b dynamic omni
Samson CO2 SDC
Sennheiser E609 dynamic cardiod cabinet mic
Superlux FK-2 kick drum mic
Superlux DRK drum kits
Tascam PE-120 omni and cardiod condenser uses battery

Your thread offers a great service Hairylarry - I'll play, here are my favs and the reasons...

EV 635a / PL5 dynamic omni - classic smooth unhyped sound, rugged, ENG standard

EV RE 10, 15 dynamic cardioid - Very flat frequency response

MCA SP-1, MXL 990, Nady SCM-800 - All have the same wonderful small diaphragm capsule hidding in a large diapragm body and Schoeps-style transformerless circuit.

Naiant omni condensers - When you can't afford Earthworks, there's Naiant.

I voted ES57. Just a fantastic value and solid mic. I also like the AT2020 on the list. Nice SDC hiding in an LDC shell with a crisp response.

Does this count?

I just saw an add on craigslist for an audix i5 and an sm57, just went out and bought them both for $100. They were the real deal and look brand new and he threw in two cables and a boom stand! :D

Sorry had to gloat somewhere.. one down side though... ...SMOKER!

-josh

Great buy on two mics that hold their value

Does this count?

I just saw an add on craigslist for an audix i5 and an sm57, just went out and bought them both for $100. They were the real deal and look brand new and he threw in two cables and a boom stand! :D

Sorry had to gloat somewhere.. one down side though... ...SMOKER!

-josh

Slowjett,

I've looked at the Audix mics and they seem to hold their value even better than the SM57. It's hard to find an SM57 under $70 even though they are $90 new.

So I have to ask. I'm really broke and work hard to get bargains on my mics. But still why pay $70 for a used SM57 when a new one is only $90. Seems like having the mic new with a warranty has got to be worth $20.

I've also been looking at the Really Nice Compressors. You can get one brand new for $175. But it's hard to find a used one under $150. Again, tight as I am I think I'd pay the extra $25 for the peace of mind and a good warranty.

You got a great buy on your mics even without the extras.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

The Naiant mic's are very good.

The EV635a is a pretty cool mic. Watch TV clips of singers in the 60s and more than half will be singing into a 635a. Plus it's probably the most rugged mic ever made.

To be honest I wouldnt even recommend a fifty dollar mic. Theres no point your going to want or need better eventually anyway and you might as well save the fifty dollars you have because your going to be spending that plus more again.

To be honest I wouldnt even recommend a fifty dollar mic. Theres no point your going to want or need better eventually anyway and you might as well save the fifty dollars you have because your going to be spending that plus more again.

Are you just playing instigator or are you really being serious? I have mics that are far more expensive than my om2, or my re11 and I still choose my om2 for snare before all else and get the best rock vocal from my re11.

BTW most of those old re mics sold for alot more than the shure dynamics did back in the day. If you wanna know why dissect a sm57 and any re mic and compare the construction. EV made/makes killer mics.

Done ranting:D probably.
Rusty Z

Slowjett,

So I have to ask. I'm really broke and work hard to get bargains on my mics. But still why pay $70 for a used SM57 when a new one is only $90. Seems like having the mic new with a warranty has got to be worth $20.

I know right? But wheres do you draw the line? 60 dollars? I've never payed more than 50 bucks for a 57 or a 58. The last ones I got before these were 30 bucks from someone down on his luck. One ran off with a sound guy.

The Naiant mics are no joke either. They are a really good mic. I have a pair of XQ's. I use them mostly for room mics, (HH/ride if i mic them at all). Though I feel they are a bit dull at times. I put them in front of a shaker and a tambo once. they sounded way tooo dark for those. On acoustic guitar they are fantastic.

-josh

But what about all the hits

DAS19,

But what about all the hit records recorded using some of these mics? What about the big name vocalists who loved these mics? Motown used the EV mics on many of their big hits. Dolly Parton kept her favorite RE15 in a lock box at the studio. Elvis sang through EV 635a mics and RE series mics. And Frank loved him some PL80.

Are these hits really crappy because they used cheap mics? If you go into any major studio today you are likely to find some of these mics. And they still get used even in the age of sub $100 Chinese condensers.

There are indeed many inexpensive mics that you won't use after you get better ones. That's the reason for the fifty dollar mic thread and the fifty dollar mic poll. So that newbies on a budget buy inexpensive mics that they will continue to find useful even after they get more expensive mics.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

I've looked at the Audix mics and they seem to hold their value even better than the SM57. It's hard to find an SM57 under $70 even though they are $90 new.

It matters where the mic is made. If it's a Chinese Shure then you're probably right. If it's an older U.S. made 57 like a Unidyne III, then it's worth more than a new one in my opinion. Same thing with the 58s. I've A-Bed the Mexican ones with the U.S. made ones, and the old U.S. ones just did something special.

Your kinda right, I love my unidyn IIIs, and think they are much better than the new shure's, but I got them for alot less $$ than a current 57 or 58 would go for even used. .................Wait a minute, (before there is a rush of competitors heading to ebay) what I ment to say is the new shure's are far superior to the vintage one's and anybody that would buy a unidyne III over a modern one is stupid and crazy!!! Vintage one are complete junk......REALLY!:D

Not anything definitive, but...

Some fave live stuff I've seen lately through you-tube was Eric Burdon singing into a RE15 (Spill The Wine), and various 70's videos of Paul Rodgers and Ian Anderson using an SM57.

Would be happy with either even on a "studio release" as they seem to work great with a full voiced baritone singer like myself, or the above rock icons.

Chris

Vintage SM57s

It matters where the mic is made. If it's a Chinese Shure then you're probably right. If it's an older U.S. made 57 like a Unidyne III, then it's worth more than a new one in my opinion. Same thing with the 58s. I've A-Bed the Mexican ones with the U.S. made ones, and the old U.S. ones just did something special.

hungovermorning,

I have one SM57 which was given to me. (Thanks HeyHeyMyMy) I will have to check it out more closely to see if it's a Unidyne and try to figure out it's age/origin. But with only one it's hard to compare.

I do have several Unidyne Shures including an SM56, a 545, and several ball mics. Sorry, I just checked and the ball mics are Unisphere. My guess is they are Unidynes with a spherical pop filter hence Unisphere. The Unisphere A is high impedance. The Unisphere B has XLR connectors. (I think) I'll have to double check all of this when I get to my studio.

The SM56 and 545 mics are in demand and can no longer be found for fifty bucks. (unless you're lucky) Shure still sells the 545s. I do think the Unisphere mics can still be had cheap and they are good vintage Shures too.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Yet another example where vintage mics may be better than new.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

I know we like to think

Your kinda right, I love my unidyn IIIs, and think they are much better than the new shure's, but I got them for alot less $$ than a current 57 or 58 would go for even used. .................Wait a minute, (before there is a rush of competitors heading to ebay) what I ment to say is the new shure's are far superior to the vintage one's and anybody that would buy a unidyne III over a modern one is stupid and crazy!!! Vintage one are complete junk......REALLY!:D

Rust E-Z,

I know we like to think that microphone purchasers all over the world pore over our words of wisdom and make their purchases accordingly. Still the traffic we get here doesn't touch ebay. However much we extol the value of vintage mics there is still a huge buying public that's going to go for the latest Chinese condenser.

I've been recommending the Realistic 1070 series for years but I haven't noticed a big price increase. They must have made a lot of them.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Ev Re15

Not anything definitive, but...

Some fave live stuff I've seen lately through you-tube was Eric Burdon singing into a RE15 (Spill The Wine), and various 70's videos of Paul Rodgers and Ian Anderson using an SM57.

Would be happy with either even on a "studio release" as they seem to work great with a full voiced baritone singer like myself, or the above rock icons.

Chris

Chris,

Since you pointed the way I've done a bit of research on the RE15 and the 635a on hit recordings.

The funny thing about the RE15 is it was the instrument mic with no pop filter. It's the RE11 and RE16 that are designed for vocal mics.

Still you always hear about everyone singing through the RE15. And the RE10, which is the same mic, is always touted as a harp mic. And I have to admit I love my RE10 on Blues harp. (I don't have an RE15 but I do have an RE11 and it's a great vocals mic. I think my RE10 was run over by a garbage truck after it fell out of a dumpster. Still works great though)

Eric Burdon singing through an RE15 is news to me. Dolly Parton and Elvis using the RE15 is well documented. These mics were very popular at Motown and RCA, both hit factories.

Bob Ohlsson is always mentioned when these mics are discussed. I've tried to contact him to get the straight word from the horses mouth. If anyone has an email address for Bob let me know.

As far as the EV 635a goes I'm having trouble tying it to a specific artist or hit as a vocal mic. Everyone agrees that R&B hits were sung through this ubiquitous omni. Some people think some early Elvis hits at RCA were sung through the 635a.

What is well documented is the use of the 635a on the Lawrence Welk TV show. And I know nobody likes that schmaltzy stuff but still these were very talented musicians and they had a huge audience.

So I have to laugh when someone says you can't get a good mic for fifty bucks. There have been many great recordings made with inexpensive equipment.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Last edited:
545 with amphenol 4 pin

I just got a 545 for $50 mon, and there is one I'm watching right now that has a buy it now for just about $50, this one has a four pin connector though ans I cant find that connector for less than $30:(.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290288737666
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120362523519http://cgi.ebay.com/Shure-Model-545...|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:13|294:50

Rust E-Z,

I had one of these and no connector. They are hard to find and expensive.

I stuck wires into the sockets and wired it up from there. Then I taped the hell out of it and treated it gingerly.

Not really the greatest idea but it worked for me.

545 mics for $50 is a good buy and a rare find. The SM56 goes for $200 and up. I like both mics but with the downturn in the economy I may have to reevaluate the 545 and add it to the list of fifty dollar mics.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Selling on commission

Don't tell that to the guys at Sw*******r.

MoDog,

If I were selling mics on commission I wouldn't be talking up a lot of low dollar and used solutions either. That said I have found the Sweetwater reps to be helpful and not too pushy. And they often have good prices.

Fortunately I'm on the homerecording BBS helping people make good recordings without spending a fortune. Cause let's face it. Most of us don't have a fortune. And we can't stop recording.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Back