Fender VG Strat -- WTF???

Can it sound like a Fender Bass VI? I may give it a whirl, one of these days whenever I wander into a store that has one...see if I can't coax a "Bass VI" sound out of it. Otherwise, I'll stick with my collection of guitars and basses (15 total, including the Bass VI that put the total to 15) that all do their own unique thing, and "don't try" to be something they're not.

Matt

BrentDomann said:
If you went used, think about it:

300 for a used Epi Les Paul
225 for a used MIM Strat
225 for a used MIM Tele
450 for a new foreign Gretsch Baritone
250 for a used 12-string acoustic/electric
250 for a used acoustic
......!

AND!!!!!!!!!
with such bunch of 'stinkers' :p you may produce a record which I may actually care to check out.

With a shiny "knob that you just turn and believe" and alikes - forget about "care to check out" part. :D

/respects

I bought my Vax500 two and a half years ago and have been playing it almost every day from that day one while the dozen of so other guitars I own , including a couple of Fenders, have been mainly collecting dust in their cases. I bet most of you wouldn't be able to tell apart a guitar sound in a mix or coming live from stage whether it was originating from a real instrument or one of the models in Variax.

The flexibility of Variax and the sound palette available is unbelievable and juding it by the same standards as an ordinary electric guitar just don't do justice to the great features of Variax. If you just give it a brief spin in a music store you'll probably only notice the not so special build quality but once when, or if, you get over that first dissappointment there will be a new world of possibilities waiting for you. You need to spend a week with it to have some kind of clue what it's all about and if you happen to spend that week in a home studio then you'd really start to appreciate the flexibility and the vast array of sounds that never before have been availble from such an inexpensive instrument.

BTW You don't have to settle for the stock Variax models. Using the Workbench program you can unleash the full potential of Variax and customize the models by swapping pickups and moving them around and by creating custom tunings and stuff like that.

It's so hard for me to understand why all the technology available is focused on trying to create the classics of the past rather than new sounds previously unable to be achieved. And the flip side is why since the early 90's guitarists have been so relunctant to experiment.

What if you could dial up the sound of an acoustic with infinite sustain? Or how about an 18 string guitar? How about layering the sound of a Tele with a Les Paul.

The technology is in it's infancy but I think Line 6 is on the right track by allowing you to custom design a virtual guitar. The key is to look at the variax as a whole new instrument capable of sounds not physically possible otherwise, sorta the evolution of synth guitar.

Zaphod B said:
doesn't require any outboard processing, like a Variax does.

I don't think Variaxs require any outboard processing ..... it's all built into the guitar. A guy brought one into a gig a few weeks back and he just plugged it into the PA ..... nothing else.

Good points you have there,wbcsound.

As I said earlier is just plain stupid to look at Variax just as another electric guitar as it's capable of being much more than just a replacement for a standard strat or lespaul. If you're into new sounds why not dial in the tricone resonator model and drop the tuning to open C or whatever and use a slide and run it thru a roaring stack to create a new brutal metal sound never heard of before or that can never be duplicated with an ordinary guitar. What's even more stupid is to compare it to a ordinary electric guitar as an investment because it's merely a tool, a great tool I'd say when you need a variety of sound on the spot immediately, and not an collectors item.

Lt. Bob said:
I don't think Variaxs require any outboard processing ..... it's all built into the guitar. A guy brought one into a gig a few weeks back and he just plugged it into the PA ..... nothing else.

I think he's referring to the external swicth box you can use to power up the Vax instead of using batteries onboard and to feed the signal either to guitar amp thru the 1/4" connection or to PA thru and XLR output.

But does that mean you can't use external power source instead of batteries with VG strat? Hope not.

If I didn't already have a boatload of equipment already I'd jump on something like this in a heartbeat.I'm no virtuoso I'm just looking for different tones and textures.

Aren't most of those sounds available on other roland equipment like the GR-33,GR30,GR20,GR1 and other VK stuff?? Plus lots of other sounds if you're the adventureous (sp?) kinda guy.

chazba

Back