Fender VG Strat -- WTF???

One difference is that you can select alternate tunings. That's either really cool, or anathema. :confused:

Another is that it uses a standard 1/4 jack and doesn't require any outboard processing, like a Variax does.

And the VG can run in standard passive mode.

lbanks said:
Looks like a Fender version of the Variax.

Exactly. But, why? Has the variax really been such a wonderous product that it's actually stealing market share? I doubt it.

What was it that Douglas Adams said about tea-brewing machines - that they make something that tastes almost, but not entirely, unlike tea?

Variaxes sound like that to me.

I sorta wonder if this thing and the Variax will eventually go out of production for not being really "natural"-sounding, then later on be sought after because of the sound they do make.

Y'know, like how the Fender Rhodes piano sounded nothing like an actual piano, but a lot of people do great things with it's sound?

The piezos on the Variax seem to do best at reproducing guitars with a lot of attack - Teles in particular. But I think their Gibson HB sounds leave a lot to be desired. Maybe it's just a matter of post-processing and the sounds will improve in time.

As to whether this would be valued in the future....I don't know. Does anyone think the sound of the modern piezo-equipped acoustic-electric is actually a decent sound? (IMO, no.) Does it take an acoustic of any real sonic quality to get that sound? (IMO, no.)

Well, thanks for reminding me

that I want to get a Variax, too. :mad:

To me, they're the POD of the guitar world. Do they sond exactly like the real thing? No. Do they sound close enough for my purposes? Most of the time. Plus, they fulfil my nimber one requirement, which is that they are nearly silent.

What I really like are the sitar, banjo, and twelve string sims.

It's like a soft synth. Is it real strings? No, but other than DavidK, who carries an orchestra around with them?

And as far as collectability

I don't think guys a hording Supros and Teiscos because of their superior sound and playability.

things like this scare me, not because of the sound they make (because i've never really tried one long enough to feel i could give a good review) but simply because of how Many sounds they make... i really like having one guitar. which makes a few different sounds based on what pickups i use, or where i set my tone/volume. and i like only having one amp, or one piano, or whatever - not because of the sound they make (when i say "piano" you can read "fire wood", if you like :D) but i think i'd feel quite intimidated by hundreds of different amps/guitar sounds. not that i don't love my stomp boxes and looping and crazy sounds :) i just like having a lot of little things, all designed to do one thing, than one big piece of kit. it just feels more organic and fun that way :o

Andy.

Hey lbanks

how's things up in the fort?

Nice weather we're havin'! Too bad it can't last. Did you guys ever play that gig that was snowed out?

Andy, if you like having a bunch of one-trick ponies, more power to ya. Me, too. But sometimes it's kinda cool to have something to experiment with that challenges your imagination, instead of saying "Well, if I had a 12 string, that might be cool here."

It could be the perfect product to steal Line6's thunder ... they've watched to see how the Variax has gone and obviously thought it's worth their while to get a piece. So they've released their own version, which also simultaneously happens to be the most iconic guitar ever, unlike the various minging Variaxes.

Should be interesting, the Variaxes are not my thing really but they are a lot of fun to muck about with ... great for trying out new ideas and sounds, even if after getting a sound I like I just go and get a real-life version of it to play with instead. :o

notCardio said:
how's things up in the fort?

Nice weather we're havin'! Too bad it can't last. Did you guys ever play that gig that was snowed out?
We did it tonight. And it didn't go to badly. Its March 28, 12:45am, and its 62 degrees! We're gonna die.
:eek: :D

Our's was finally shipped to the store last week. It's actually a pretty fun little guitar, the tracking is clean, and the alternate tunings are very fun, especially the baritone setting. The other plus is that you get an already nice American Strat out of the deal. I haven't had much time to mess around with it, but all in all, it's a different beast compared to the Variax. I was pissed they couldn't throw a 13 pin output on the thing to interface with a separate Roland unit. Alas, guitar companies can't seem to get it ALL right anymore.

I vote that this was probably a good idea on Fender's part. For someone like myself, I tend to look at the non-American Fenders (MIM, Affinity). So something like this might make me seriously consider buying not just another strat, but an American strat.

Plus, since I love playing strats so much, I think it's cool you can really get a boat load of sounds out of it.

But, like everything else, I'll have to actually play one before I would decide.

scrubs said:
Well, they're only $1700. I think I'd rather have a real USA strat & tele for that price.

Good point. If you went used, think about it:

300 for a used Epi Les Paul
225 for a used MIM Strat
225 for a used MIM Tele
450 for a new foreign Gretsch Baritone
250 for a used 12-string acoustic/electric
250 for a used acoustic

Minus the resonator, you are there at $1700.

Admittedly, none are American, and they aren't all in one package, but I bet they all sound a lot closer to the real thing--most of them are the real thing!

Back