Fender Frontman 15G

pandamonk

I've heard good things about this amp, especially when outputted to a 4x12. Do they all have the speaker output? Where is it? Is it on the back? I've never seen it. It's not even in the manual.

I'm thinking about getting this amp, but wanna make sure i get the right thing. I'll be buying off the internet, so can't check in the shop.

Is it just the Fender Frontman II 15G that has the speaker output? Hmm. The manual i looked at was for the frontman II and never said anything, but some of the companies selling it advertise the output. What's the different between the standard frontman and frontman II? Is there any aesthetic difference?

Last edited:
I had a Frontman a few years back, don't recall it having an external speaker jack (it may have had one but i do not remember it.) For cleans it was a great little amp but the gain/overdrive was too scratchy to suit my taste. On the clean side they are very similar to a Champ. The overdrive reminded me of the sound of a cheap fuzz box. I never tried it with another speaker so I can't say how much difference it would make.

frontman

To be honest I wouldn't bother with it. like the last guy said its too scratchy on the gain side and too digital sounding onthe clean, I know its a cheap amp but i'd recommend to try the Tech21 trademark 10 out instead, a far superior amp for not much more money.

You're probably right, it's just, I've heard quite a lot about this amp. Ok if you use it with the 8" speaker, it's not the best, but I've heard if you run it through a 4x12 it is pretty good. I just wanted to know more about this.

Does it have to be a Marshall 4x12?
Does it work as well with other manufacturers?
Can it be a 2x12, or even 1x12 instead?
Where actually is the speaker output?
Is it only on the frontman II?
etc.

Thanks

Yeah, that's it. Any of the small Frontman amps that have two jacks at the far right of the amp. (One jack is the headphone output and the other jack is the 8 Ohm speaker output.)
Hi Harvey. Have you tried it with the frontman II? It's advertised as having a speaker output, but I've never seen it. I will keep an eye out for more like that one though, and if that one is within my budget by the time it finishes, i might buy it :D

I just played through one in Guitar Center... I dialed in a bass heavy scooped mid sounding metal tone with a Tele standard.... And I turned some heads when I cranked it up the guys standing by the Bogner amps discussing the effect of tube swaps.... Came over to see the amp I had made that sound with...

I dunno it did country pretty well, and even jazz... I would not spend the money on a new one but used it might be well worth it...

Hi Harvey. Have you tried it with the frontman II? It's advertised as having a speaker output, but I've never seen it. I will keep an eye out for more like that one though, and if that one is within my budget by the time it finishes, i might buy it :D
Haven't tried the Frontman II, but it seems like it should work if it has the speaker output jack.

I just played through one in Guitar Center... I dialed in a bass heavy scooped mid sounding metal tone with a Tele standard.... And I turned some heads when I cranked it up the guys standing by the Bogner amps discussing the effect of tube swaps.... Came over to see the amp I had made that sound with...

I dunno it did country pretty well, and even jazz... I would not spend the money on a new one but used it might be well worth it...
It doesn't really get exciting until you hook it up to something like a Marshall 1960 1/2 stack, with 4 Celestion 12" Greenbacks in it. Then, it gets scary.

I see you're in scotland, I'm from the UK too. I have a fender frontman but not sure which one (its a few years old) that I'm putting on eBay i'll send you the link once done if interested?

actualy i've just checked it and its a lot newer model than the ones in the links so i'd keep looking if i was you

Last edited:
I see you're in scotland, I'm from the UK too. I have a fender frontman but not sure which one (its a few years old) that I'm putting on eBay i'll send you the link once done if interested?

actualy i've just checked it and its a lot newer model than the ones in the links so i'd keep looking if i was you
If it has the speaker output, i might be interested. :D

A still sound really good?

Well, really good sounding is up to what the user expects it to sound like. I personally do not like the amp at all so to me it won't make a difference what it's plugged into. However if you plug it into a nice cabinet with nice speakers it should give you a better result than with the stock 8" speaker.

Does it need to be a guitar cab? What about a nice passive speaker? I have a pair of Peavey Hisys 2s and Impulse 1012s in the attic doing nothing.

Back