EVH frankenstein in samash

cephus

Slow Children Playing
There is one of those $25000 fender relic EVH guitars in the samash in columbus, OH. I looked at it closely, but it was in a glass case.

Their relicing process is pretty impressive.

The neck pocket is way bigger than the neck. The pocket is strat-shaped, but the neck looked tele shaped.

The floyd was not relic'd enough. The fine tuners were all black. Usually the E and A string ones rub off to the brass.

It was the coolest thing I ever saw in my life. I was 15 again.

I also played those electromatic gretsches and my epi ES-295 is way better. I made the right choice. I wish I had a master volume, though.

A "relic'd" guitar?

Why would anyone waste money on something like that?

A "relic'd" guitar?

Why would anyone waste money on something like that?

They only made 300 of them so it is actually a good investment. For those EVH fans out there with money to burn, it is the closest 99.999% of anyone will ever be to actually touching the real thing. They say that if Ed ever decides to sell the original (very unlikely), it will break all records of guitars auctioned in the past...well over 1,000,000 smackeroos!

BTW...if I had the bucks to burn?...I'd have one on display in my studio.

They only made 300 of them so it is actually a good investment. For those EVH fans out there with money to burn, it is the closest 99.999% of anyone will ever be to actually touching the real thing. They say that if Ed ever decides to sell the original (very unlikely), it will break all records of guitars auctioned in the past...well over 1,000,000 smackeroos!

BTW...if I had the bucks to burn?...I'd have one on display in my studio.

It's either the real thing or it's not...

If it's not...it's just a look-a-like. :D

I personally wouldn't pay any extra for a guitar made to look like another guitar. But then again that's just my opinion.

It's either the real thing or it's not...

If it's not...it's just a look-a-like. :D

I personally wouldn't pay any extra for a guitar made to look like another guitar. But then again that's just my opinion.

Yeah, not only do I agree with this, the investment side of things may not be too good. No collector really wants a copy of a one-of-a-kind guitar. The whole idea of collecting is to have the real thing. A 1958 Les Paul is the real thing, like a '57 strat. All this is is a copy of a one-off.

$25,000 guitars and cocaine = God's way of telling you that you have too much money:D

If I had an extra $25,000 I can think of a least 6 stocks that would be a much better "investment" than a Frankenstein wanna be. Hell, a money market would likely be a better investment.

$25,000 guitars and cocaine = God's way of telling you that you have too much money:D

If I had an extra $25,000 I can think of a least 6 stocks that would be a much better "investment" than a Frankenstein wanna be. Hell, a money market would likely be a better investment.

hmm.. not to be an ass or anything. But I do think you are a bit wrong :)
Vintage guitars is proven to be a very good long-term investment. If the guitar is a collectors item ofcourse. I would imagine that the EVH guitar only 300 made could be a good investment. If you don't gig it ofcourse.

But then again, 6 stocks or even more would prolly be even more worth given the same time span :)

"Ain't it a crime. The only man that could miss with this gun is the sucker with the bread to buy it."

Actually, your almost certainly wrong. High end collectible guitars have been the single best investment in the world for the last five years, according to the Wall Street Journal. I don't think that a run of 300 is small enough to make this a great investment, so maybe not with the Frankenstrat copy; but the Clapton Blackie copy only had 125, and it will probably, for the next 15-20 years (until the baby boomers start to die in large numbers) be a much better investment than any stock out there. It's sad, it's wrong, and it's fucking annoying, but it's true.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I just can't see how someone can spend $25,000 on a guitar, so they can hang it on the wall and be like..."wow...that looks just like the real thing"...:confused:

The only reason I would pay $25,000 for ANY guitar (real or copy) is if I knew I could sell it for much more than that.

Or maybe if I knew it would always stay perfectly in tune and never have setup/electric problems ... ever.

Other than that, no guitar to me is worth that kind of money. I don't care who played it.

I just can't see how someone can spend $25,000 on a guitar, so they can hang it on the wall and be like..."wow...that looks just like the real thing"...:confused:

My thoughts exactly. Why not just hang a fucking photograph of the real guitar on the wall. It's the same thing.

I could be very wrong on my valuation of collectable guitars. Certainly I've seen $300 guitars from the 60's that are now worth $20,000 (40 years later) -although $300 at about a 7% return would also be worth $20,000 after 40 years.

I can certainly see the originla Blackie or the original Frankenstein having significant value (to the right buyer) - but a copy???

I think the point about the baby boomers is valid (I'm a boomer). Members of my generation have accumulated a lot of wealth and many of us are buying the toys we could never afford (I know sooo many guys that have spent huge dollars on vintage cars (which they drive for 30 minutes on a Sunday) - so buying a vintage guitar makes sense - but a new production??

The problem with collectables as an investment - they only have value if you can find a buyer. There can only be so many people interested in buying a Blackie copy or a Frankenstein copy (in particular at a 5-6 figure number).

To me - that's not investing, it's speculating. I'll take my chances with GE, Microsoft or Cisco and let someone else invest in guitars:D:D

The problem with collectables as an investment - they only have value if you can find a buyer. There can only be so many people interested in buying a Blackie copy or a Frankenstein copy (in particular at a 5-6 figure number).

To me - that's not investing, it's speculating. I'll take my chances with GE, Microsoft or Cisco and let someone else invest in guitars:D:D

The problem as I see it is that these things are built and designed to be a collectible from the beginning, sortalike that Franklin Mint stuff they sell in those 4 AM infomercials. That's real different from something that became a collectible after the fact, like '57 Strats or '57 Chevys because most of the ones that were made have since gone into oblivion. A replica '57 Strat (or Chevy) is never going to be worth anywhere near as much as the Real Deal, no matter how few of them they make.

fuck hanging it on a wall; i'd play the hell outta that thing. then again, that's if i had money to burn. i'd buy it to play it, not to stare at it.

I think it's Fender's display of how impressive their relicing methods are. It really looked like it was old and fucked up.

But check the reviews:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...ankenstein-Replica-Electric-Guitar?sku=513703

Only in LA can a 17 year old save up $25k for a guitar.

Obviously it's for someone who wants to play it and known what it's like to play eddie van halen's fucked up guitar. There is a huge emotional component for whoever buys one.

Except that the reviews seem to think it's a piece of shit to play with. I wouldn't refinish a crap.

At this day and age of axemen, Eddie is a mediocre player, that just stumbled to tapping. A dozen japanese 15year-olds would prolly bury him at this point. Ok, he had his moments, so did the axe.
THAT axe might be precious.

But making an unplayable, havoced piece of crap lookalike???....
...Penn&Teller would say something to that..

:D

Back