Eric Clapton: 2nd best guitarist in Dublin OH

ggunn said:
All you guys ragging on Clapton - how many albums have you got out? How many arena shows have you played? How many musical superstars have you collaborated with?

Stupid argument. How many albums does Brittney Spears have out? How many arena shows has she done? How many musical superstars has she collabed with?

ez_willis said:
Stupid argument. How many albums does Brittney Spears have out? How many arena shows has she done? How many musical superstars has she collabed with?

Not stupid at all, though Ms. Spears hasn't a tenth (or a tenth of a tenth) the resume' that Clapton has. She has her measure of success as well, though I don't much care for anything I've heard by her.

ez_willis said:

I'll agree, I stay far away from an argument where talent is reflected by popularity.

But, I never said it was easy. I said it was quaint. Like a gas lamp, it's obsolete since electric lights.

So if delta blues is an oil lamp, what's your lightbulb?

I dare you to find one single blues song with even a fraction of the intricate arrangements that Lennon/McCartney wrote from Revolver on.

That's a silly argument as well. Just like popularity not equaling talent, intricate doesnt equal good. You're also insinuating delta blues can't be intricate which isn't the case. Just because it can be considered less intricate than a multitracked band, doesn't mean it has simple arrangements. Delta blues by the way, is generally pre-12 bar. I've found I can equally enjoy 'outdated' blues as I can Revolver.

I don't give two shits that the Stones and Beatles were influenced heavily by older blues players.

That may be, but the idea behind the argument is that if you really dig a certain musicians music maybe it'd be better to be a little more humble and accept the possibility that those musicians don't have terrible taste in music and have 'quaint' musicial influences.

darrvid said:
the idea behind the argument is that if you really dig a certain musicians music maybe it'd be better to be a little more humble and accept the possibility that those musicians don't have terrible taste in music and have 'quaint' musicial influences.

From the beginning I tried to keep this empirical. taste aside, delta blues is pretty simple, out-of-tune, out-of-time and chock full o' character. There is some I like, but I don't like any of it as much as Chicago blues with a horn section.

Clapton, empiracly speaking, is not really as dazzling as one might think given his reputation. I remember seeing him play forever man in that video with a duster on and playing really decisive little blasts of fire. THAT is the God clapton.

This rainbow-colored signature strat back to the roots clapton is like hobbyist clapton. He walks out in his jogging suit and plays really flat and orderly white guy blues. I don't think it's as impressive as seeing a real american blues guy. He's a facsimile. We actually have the real thing here, ya know.

But you guys want to talk about respect and the heritage of the institution of clapton. I say set your prejudice aside for a second and just recognize that he is pretty lame compared to albert collins or gatemouth brown. Or, on a certain level to me, thorogood.

And I'm not a roots blues guy. I play rock and roll. It's just that it always comes out bluesey.

This whole thread is an abomination started by a van halen fan. :p

The title of this thread has nothing to do with blues: "Eric Clapton: 2nd best guitarist in Dublin OH". Calling him a mediocre blues guitarist is really cutting him short. You're judging him by a single brush stroke but ignoring the whole picture, imo. Some of his stuff I'll likely listen to for the rest of my life and some of it I don't want to ever hear again. Looking at the whole picture, the guy has covered a lot of ground and some of it better than anyone. I will admit that I'm not a fan of his typical electric blues playing. It feels too laid back for me. When I listen to electric blues guitar I want the guy playing to give me everything he's got. Instead of stepping up, Clapton lays back. I guess that's just his style and my taste. Now on acoustic stuff, I can't think of another guy I'd rather hear.

For you guys that are bashing roots blues, I can't set your head right on that. I've tried with other people. I just like to think of it like this: Ha! I hear it and you don't. :D Too bad for you! You're really missing out! ..........and all that other razzing. Now put on your headband and go masturbate that sparkly guitar. :D :D :D

ggunn said:
All you guys ragging on Clapton - how many albums have you got out? How many arena shows have you played? How many musical superstars have you collaborated with? How many big name musicans pay homage to you and say that you were an inspiration to them when they were getting started?

It's real easy to sit back and take potshots at the guy, but what he's managed to accomplish in his life is a hell of a lot more than any of you, I'll wager. He's not God, but then who is? Personally, I have a lot of respect for him, and it doesn't make a damn bit of difference to me if he's Not Better Than Eddie Van Halen (or whoever). He's made his mark on the world. You?
heh, last time I saw this argument, david k chimed in with some ungodly amount of records due to his recordings with REM.

I don't think Clapton will be remembered in the long run. He was an influence to many, but what has he innovated? White boy blues?

IronFlippy said:
heh, last time I saw this argument, david k chimed in with some ungodly amount of records due to his recordings with REM.

I don't think Clapton will be remembered in the long run. He was an influence to many, but what has he innovated? White boy blues?

no kidding, davidk recorded with rem?

cephus said:
From the beginning I tried to keep this empirical. taste aside, delta blues is pretty simple, out-of-tune, out-of-time and chock full o' character. There is some I like, but I don't like any of it as much as Chicago blues with a horn section.

Clapton, empiracly speaking, is not really as dazzling as one might think given his reputation. I remember seeing him play forever man in that video with a duster on and playing really decisive little blasts of fire. THAT is the God clapton.

This rainbow-colored signature strat back to the roots clapton is like hobbyist clapton. He walks out in his jogging suit and plays really flat and orderly white guy blues. I don't think it's as impressive as seeing a real american blues guy. He's a facsimile. We actually have the real thing here, ya know.

But you guys want to talk about respect and the heritage of the institution of clapton. I say set your prejudice aside for a second and just recognize that he is pretty lame compared to albert collins or gatemouth brown. Or, on a certain level to me, thorogood.

And I'm not a roots blues guy. I play rock and roll. It's just that it always comes out bluesey.

Hmm, I don't entirely disagree with that. Clapton definitly has periods of his career that are dead to me (phil collins anyone?) but I got over that and realized the guy has put out some stuff that's very much changed the way I listen to music.

Chicago blues with horn sections are actually about my least favorite styles of blues. I much prefer delta. Anyway, it's definitly just an individual difference since music can't be emperically compared, all that really matters when it comes down to it is if you like what you listen to. Theres no reason to feel obligated to like something.

IronFlippy said:
I don't think Clapton will be remembered in the long run.

That's a joke, right? He already is remembered in the long run. His run so far has been, what, 45 years? How long does it have to be?

TravisinFlorida said:
This whole thread is an abomination started by a van halen fan. :p

The title of this thread has nothing to do with blues: "Eric Clapton: 2nd best guitarist in Dublin OH".

You're right. But I was being sarcastic in the first post. I mean, I'd have to have some pretty big cajones to holler from the treetops that I'm better than clapton even though I haven't played a bar gig in 3 months.

That said, since I don't have alot of people like y'uns following me around telling me how great I am, I have to keep refining my craft all the time. It's a little logical that the guy who never made it tries to prove he could have by working a bit harder than a guy who has already acheived something and is just working to maintain it.

That one sentence where I said "to me, thorogood" I meant to say that to me thorogood has more to offer than clapton. I wasn't throwing my name into the fray with those other guys as my peers.

Maybe we're missing the point. The music business just seemed to be more encouraging of cool stuff back in the 60s. Look at alot of the other acts that are still together in comparison. Catch the latest Jefferson Airplane tour? Clapton is really being forced to keep his gravy train rolling, as would any of you had you been in his position. He's doing it with a great deal more class than Herman's Hermits.

Didin't he have an album called "journeyman"? That is sort of what he is, isn't it? I mean, he's been in the business for a really long time and gets on award shows and every once in a while does something poppy. He is the electrician showing up at that construction site year after year. Instead of pulling wire, he is doing that Clapton thing that alot of people can't get enough of. When I think of him like that, he has more appeal.

I am an EVH apologist. I can't play a single thing he plays, but I really like to listen to it. I pretty much hate all music that I can't immediately mimick except for EVH.

cephus said:
Come on. That delta/acoustic blues thing is quaint, but it's hardly a "technical display".

I can see you're a clapton fan and that's cool. I just think he was in the right place at the right time which got him where he is and that his other contemporaries continue to be more impressive than him. I heard a Jeff Beck recording that was pretty new and it is still impressive from a technical standpoint. I saw a jihnny winter you tube vid where he's sitting down and looks like death and he still makes calpton look like a girl.

I have a beef with clapton becuase I think he talks shitty about hendrix in the biography movie. He just doesn't seem like the guys that I always considered my guitar heroes.

I don't hear life in clapton's playing flat out. It's flat and girlie. I think that you can hear years of manual labor and adventure in my playing. I hear english royalty and a sheltered life in clapton's playing. He has no fire. I'm sorry he had that thing with his kid, but even when he talked about that in interviews, I was shocked at his lack of emotion.

I'm no shredder. I am a guitar slinging bar monkey from America, where rock and roll and blues was born. Fuck the limeys. Even the fat, bald, golf-shirt, suburban, white guy blues bands can do clapton tunes and sound just like him. Invoke Albert Collins? No one can flip a switch or turn a knob and sound like him.

I don't believe in the olympics of music where someone could be crowned empirically a better guitarist than another. I am just saying that he doesn't deserve to walk on the ground you worship.

Hmmm - let's see. Mr. Clapton (of whom I am not a great fan anymore, but during the 'Clapton is God' era I was, and from that exposure found Albert King, Robert Johnson (and my personal favorite Chester Burnett) et al) is a millionaire from his gazillions of records sold, has been invited to play (many times) with every significant blues person of the last 35 years or so, and did, in his day, turn out some great stuff.

And you . . .?

foo said:
Hmmm - let's see. Mr. Clapton (of whom I am not a great fan anymore, but during the 'Clapton is God' era I was, and from that exposure found Albert King, Robert Johnson (and my personal favorite Chester Burnett) et al) is a millionaire from his gazillions of records sold, has been invited to play (many times) with every significant blues person of the last 35 years or so, and did, in his day, turn out some great stuff.

And you . . .?

he has this homemade banjo/guitar thing that's kind of neat. :p

TravisinFlorida said:
he has this homemade banjo/guitar thing that's kind of neat. :p

Of course, the homemade banjo/guitar thingy.

I bet Clatpon doesn't have one of those . . .

Blues Breakers, Derek and the Dominoes, Cream....god, how that stuff sucked.

Sunshine of Your Love, Crossroads, White Room, Spoonful, Strange Brew, Layla, Badge ...what trite, deriviative drivel.

Have You Heard? ... worst blues ever.

crazydoc said:
Blues Breakers, Derek and the Dominoes, Cream....god, how that stuff sucked.

Sunshine of Your Love, Crossroads, White Room, Spoonful, Strange Brew, Layla, Badge ...what trite, deriviative drivel.

Have You Heard? ... worst blues ever.

Er . . .

somebody help me out here.

Does Troll have one 'L' or two?

foo said:
Er . . .

somebody help me out here.

Does Troll have one 'L' or two?
Sorry, that was sarcasm.

Whatever Clapton's current abilities, he was seminal in the development of rock, on a level with Hendrix and the Beatles.

You may have had to live it to appreciate it.

Back