Eric Clapton: 2nd best guitarist in Dublin OH

cephus

Slow Children Playing
A friend of mine told me that EC lives around the corner from me. I wonder if he'd be interested in taking some lessons.

He probably just wants to get a chance to play the disco slut.

Or maybe he's hoping you'll autograph his jambolin, so he can put it on ebay.

cephus said:
I just asked him and he doesn't think you're gay either.

Ask him why he chose DBII to record the Robert Johnson Sessions, and use as a touring guitarist. Was it one specific quality?

DBII: He was weak and it was easy to impose his will upon the youngster.

Sucking: Oops. He didn't know he sucks now.

WTF? He quit drinking too?

I'm gonna go hang out at my friend Jed's house. He's more fun and plays bass.

Can't tell if you're joking about EC in Dublin, but I lived in Columbus for awhile (attended Ohio State) and my parents still live there. My step-brother lived in Dublin. Nice town, lots of money there. Where are you at in Ohio? I miss it, but the wife's family is here and divorce from 1st wife prevents me from leaving with kids, so I guess I'm stuck in NY.

I thought Frampton lived in Indian Hill- NE of downtown Cincinnati. By far the richest neighborhood in town. There aren't a whole lot of places I could see Frampton living in Covington.

kremitmusic said:
I thought Frampton lived in Indian Hill- NE of downtown Cincinnati. By far the richest neighborhood in town. There aren't a whole lot of places I could see Frampton living in Covington.

you are probably right, my bud owns a music store here in town (am about 90 miles south east of cinci) and we were talking to his washburn rep and that is who was telling us that he was in covington.

skyguitarworks said:
you are probably right, my bud owns a music store here in town (am about 90 miles south east of cinci) and we were talking to his washburn rep and that is who was telling us that he was in covington.
I dunno. Maybe he's right. But I could see him in Indian Hill alot easier than I could see him in Covington. :)

PPA today. Sorry for being salty.

Danny and Travis:

Do you guys really suck so bad as to think that clapton's playing is in any way remarkable now? I'm just trying to think of what kind of player would hear/see clapton play and say "Wow!"

I am lukewarm about even the early stuff, but since he got clean and was contaminated by phil collins his tone sucks and his blues licks are flat and extremely caucasian.

I was kidding around, of course, when I said that I could give him lessons. But, really. Of guitar peers at similar playing ability to mine, any flattery of clapton's virtuosity are just being polite.

The reason this came up is because a friend of mine lives in another suburb, new albany, and I thought he lived there. The other night we were talking about clapton sightings in town and what exactly made people paint "Clapton is God" all over the place. I had pretty much come to accept the fact that clapton is clapton because he wasn't as ugly as jeff beck or the other superior british blues guys of his era. The reason he was so popular is because he appealed to the chicks. Guitar players can appreciate a fellow picker that the girlies like. It elevates us as a race.

If I was to teach clapner something, it's that he has the one trill/lick thing that he does way too much. He started doing it in those awful collins-produced 80s tunes and still does it when he is doing his blues cover stuff.

And his tone is absolute shitte. I'd let him play through my rig and sound like a man again.

PPA=Piss Poor Attitude

Being the smartass that I am, I can't hold my tongue...(takes deep breath)

Okay, Here's the thing.. All of the nutsacks like you that say "what's so great about so and so, I could do that) Yeah, maybe you can play his licks or because you spend countless hours practicing your speed picking or hammer-ons or whatever it is you deem as "good playing" can do some stuff that sounds impressive. Doesn't make you or anyone else a great player. When it all comes down to it, none of it means shit unless people are walking down the street humming YOUR tune or have YOUR guitar solo still playing in their head even though it's been hours or maybe days since they heard it last.

What makes a great player is conveying emotion, and ideas that touch people so deeply that it is remembered for the rest of their lives. People like Clapton, Hendix, Page, Beck etc.. did it on a grand scale. At a time when music was shaking the world. Not saying that there aren't good players in todays scene....just don't knock the guys that did it first.

Back