EQ Plugin Question

GoetzManor

So I bought an Alesis Multimix Firewire 6 some years ago that came bundled with Cubase LE. I've heard that stock plugins aren't always the best, and with only four bands on LE's Parametric Equalizer it seems rather limiting. I was just wondering if anyone who has experience with LE knows if their stock eq plugin really "works"? Because it only seems that I'm hearing a difference when I cut and boost to extremes.

Thanks for your help in advance!

with only four bands on LE's Parametric Equalizer it seems rather limiting. I was just wondering if anyone who has experience with LE knows if their stock eq plugin really "works"? Because it only seems that I'm hearing a difference when I cut and boost to extremes.

Are you using it correctly? read here. Do you know how to set up a parametric EQ? Even a basic Parametric eq should give reasonable results. I have used the standard stuff that come with various Light packs over the years with fairly good results.

Alan.

Because it only seems that I'm hearing a difference when I cut and boost to extremes.
If you're not clearly hearing (normally I'd say .5dB, but in this case I'll submit) 1dB changes in critical areas (1.5-4kHz for example), I'd suggest it's not the plugs -- It's either your ears, your monitors, your room, or a combination of.

You just received great advice from two members who know their s**t, answering an obvious question. Though, I must say, they likely do not work with stock Cubase VST crap. Neither do I. I am Cubase dood, but I cant remember the last time I used a stock Cubase plug. Stereo delay all the time, but not a fan of the compressor or any built in SE Verb or EQ. The built in EQ is possibly good for cutting out frequencies, but IMO, never good for boosting them. Try another EQ for finding 'tone' from an EQ. You may need to pay for the good ones, though, there are some good free (or till you pay) stuff out there. Stillwell comes to mind, again...

You say 'LE' Which version of LE do you have?

I don't use Cubase at all but I assume their parametric EQ features the ability to adjust the "Q", i.e. the frequency range around the centre frequency you're adjusting. Adjusted to a very narrow setting, it's luck of the draw whether or not there's enough information for your adjustments to be obvious.

You don't say what you're using the EQ for. I tend to use parametrics a bit like a surgical scalpel for precise corrections--taking out a single problem frequency or whatever. If I want a more general "give it a bit more bass" or "tame the highs a bit" I'll probably be using a graphic EQ. This isn't a hard and fast rule--with a wider bandwidth you can do the more gentle/general stuff too--but it depends what I'm trying to achieve.

Reaper comes with its own four band parametric. However, should you need more, you can add more. Maybe the Cubase EQ will do this too.

As someone who used the Cubase LE 4 stock plugins for over a year...they don't work that great. They're not terrible, but they aren't gonna win any awards soon :D The EQ is pretty whack compared to others. I just went ahead and grabbed the Waves Renaissance bundle when it was on sale for like $120. Works much better :)

As someone who used the Cubase LE 4 stock plugins for over a year...they don't work that great. They're not terrible, but they aren't gonna win any awards soon :D The EQ is pretty whack compared to others. I just went ahead and grabbed the Waves Renaissance bundle when it was on sale for like $120. Works much better :)

Yep, Cubase EQ is known to be crap. It sounds very harsh at even the slightest amounts of boost. Surgical cuts, yeah, good to go. Purchase something like the Waves Ren EQ for sculpting tone. I would say the PSP stuff is better tho....

Just sayin... :)

Stillwell stuff is free to try, and is quite close to both of the software we use.

You don't know until you know. And then you start guessing what you know. :D

I have used Cubase LE for years, and have to agree with other posts. The longer I have used Cubase LE, the less and less I use the built in EQ. I would also confirm that its not so bad for cutting frequencies, but boosting is not the greatest. My new Focusrite Saffire 24DSP came with its own Para. EQ VST that I use 9 out of 10 times now, but that probably wont help you much......

Because it only seems that I'm hearing a difference when I cut and boost to extremes.QUOTE]

I tend to agree with Massive and Witzendoz here. If you cant hear the changes you make unless at the extremes of cut or boost, there seems something very basic amiss here, regardless of the quality of the Cubase LE EQ as EQ.

Tim

Because it only seems that I'm hearing a difference when I cut and boost to extremes.QUOTE]

I tend to agree with Massive and Witzendoz here. If you cant hear the changes you make unless at the extremes of cut or boost, there seems something very basic amiss here, regardless of the quality of the Cubase LE EQ as EQ.

Tim

Who said anything about 'not hearing' changes in EQ? Well, I guess that was the OP's wrong nit. Hopefully goetz is realizing that the crappy Cubase EQ is not getting tone that he wishes to have. The problem is not 'after' the recording. It is in the quality of the source.

Jimmy, if the OP said it, we can only assume he meant it. Massive took him at his word. Alan took him at his word. I also took him at his word. What else can we do?

Tim

I don't think it's that bad, but if you want to snag a eq on the cheap that offers more flexibility check out DDMF. Specifically the IIEQPro plugin.

I use the cubase eq all the time. I don't have a problem with it.

I like Massive's advice about the monitoring environment. You should be hearing changes that aren't extreme, even with cheap plugs.

If you're not clearly hearing (normally I'd say .5dB, but in this case I'll submit) 1dB changes in critical areas (1.5-4kHz for example), I'd suggest it's not the plugs -- It's either your ears, your monitors, your room, or a combination of.

This is probably the reason. My room is not set up for proper mixing at all. I usually sit pretty close to the monitors when I mix. I'll be moving in a week so when I get to the new place, I'll try to set up everything so its more advantageous.

Thanks everyone for the input!

I would say, try to use them the less you can. Maybe for cut, no more. I'll suggest you to get the Abbey road plugin eq tg 12 something (part of their mastering pack, but you can buy them alone). They are cheap, around 300$ and they are super musical. Even if I have Neve and Api plugs that are fantastics, I still use them all the time.

Hope it helps.

Yep, Cubase EQ is known to be crap. It sounds very harsh at even the slightest amounts of boost. Surgical cuts, yeah, good to go. Purchase something like the Waves Ren EQ for sculpting tone. I would say the PSP stuff is better tho....

Just sayin... :)

What's the PSP stuff? I don't really know squat about VST plug-ins honestly :D I just grabbed the Waves because I knew it would be solid and the price was good. lol

Yep, Vintage warmer is awesome for adding some growly beef. Whatever that means. ;)

The NobleQex is my favorite eq. PreQursor is my go to channel eq. Both seem to add smoothly to tones when boosting. Both have cool saturation settings as well.

Back