Eq pedals?

billabob

hey, iv'e always been the kinda guy who plug his guitar to his stack then plays, however i wanna start playing about with some pedals and "apparently" i have to get a EQ pedal to get a better live tone. Anyone had any good EQ pedals they could reccomend?
xxx

I don't know how many brands make EQ pedals but there are two different types ( to my knowledge) which are Graphic and Parametric equalizers.

The one that I use is a Boss GE-7 - Pretty damn good imo but then it could be seen as a lil bias because most of my effects are Boss ones lol xD

Hope this helps dude!

"apparently" i have to get a EQ pedal to get a better live tone.

This is nonsense.

However, if it helps you, it helps you. I don't know much about EQ pedals etc, but I would have thought that something rack based might be a little more versatile. I might be wrong.

A parametric EQ would be massively more versatile than a graphic EQ.

I really like my MXR 10-band graphic. It's nice to be able to sculpt my tone to suit my tastes or the situation. Plus I like putting it after my OD pedal to shape my distortion to my tastes.

While an EQ pedal might not be essential, I think it's one of the most useful stomp boxes/rack effects to have.

I have a 10-band stomp-box EQ pedal, but I have only EVER used the thing as a pre-amp for my acoustic's under-saddle piezo (I was underwhelmed with the results, but I needed to get the pickup's output level up.) I have NEVER felt any need to use it with any electric guitar/decent amp setup- really, if you start with a good amp, EQ'ing it is a non-issue. I respectfully disagree with Tadpui- an EQ is perhaps the LEAST useful thing, and not worth the trouble or noise it adds to your rig.

Yer see the thing is i have an orange dual terror through a 4x12 cab and when i turned my gain up i just kinda go all metal sounding and the single notes dont get the clarity i like, i thought an eq pedal would neaten up the situation would it not?

Or i was teetering on the idea on the idea of just getting a new head?

maybe a better path to follow.
xxx

Yer see the thing is i have an orange dual terror through a 4x12 cab and when i turned my gain up i just kinda go all metal sounding and the single notes dont get the clarity i like, i thought an eq pedal would neaten up the situation would it not?

Nope! An Eq pedal won't help. Orange amps sound muddy and bloated when you turn up the gain. That's just the way that they are voiced. If you play old moldy blues tunes then Orange amps are fine.

Or i was teetering on the idea on the idea of just getting a new head?

maybe a better path to follow.
xxx

Yep! There are so many great amps on the market that don't require any extra pedals just to sound passable. Any amp that you can't just plug the guitar straight into and get a really good tone from is not worth having.

wouldn't a noise suppressor or anything like that help or is it exactly what ocnor about orange amps??

I personally use a Marshall AVT50HX through a 4x12 AVT Cab tho.. hehe tis a great amp imo lol

wouldn't a noise suppressor or anything like that help or is it exactly what ocnor about orange amps??

I personally use a Marshall AVT50HX through a 4x12 AVT Cab tho.. hehe tis a great amp imo lol
A common misconception about noise gates/suppressors is that they can somehow filter the noise out of your sound while you are playing. That's not what they do; you set a threshold, and when the input drops to that level, it turns completely off. A noise gate can be useful in silencing the noise that comes from your guitar and other components upstream from the unit when you are not playing, but it's just an on/off switch. It won't affect the tone or noise embedded in your sound at all.

What valves are in the amp?

I found my Marshall TS60 to be a bit mushy under hi gain so i switched out the el34s for JJ e34Ls and ill never look back the clarity and definition boost was immediately noticeable.

Forget the EQ pedal. It will only add to your woes. What you'll find about tone and tube amps is that EVERYTHING changes with added volume. Once you raise or lower the volume, the tweakin' begins to get back the "tone" you hear in your head.

My advice is this... get yourself a lower wattage amp and get used to a single volume setting for studio and mic it on stage. 30 watts seems to be the majic number for great tone & decent power.

As far as what amp to get: only you can answer that. Go to a large music store and try every amp they got until you find that tone. Don't rely just on the amps natural distortion either. My personal fav is the Peavey Classic 30. Jangly sparkly clean tones. Nice crunch on drive channel, but add a Boss Mega-Distortion......you get this punchy, crisp yet buttery distortion tone ever.

yer mate, 30watt is probably a good size so its not too over the top for at home. My amp goes from 7,15,30 watt and im not exactly impressed at any of them, but then again iv'e never really been able to turn it up loud even at 7watt cause iv'e only got a 4x12 so its still pretty fucking loud. I might sell amp and head, switch down to a 2x12 open back then find myself a head thats abit more versitile and will allow me to do some tonal tweaking =]. I know i should go to a big music store and try some but theres not one anywhere near me. So does anyone know an amp that sounds kinda like a dsl100 but at a lower wattage?
xxx

Kinda strange how these forums work.....

I've cycled thru dozens of speakers and pedals, and maybe half a dozen amps in the last 3-4 years. Near the end of my current tone quest I started reading threads at The Gear Page, after trying a lot of the advice I got from other forums including this one. I was surprised to find that the advice at TGP turned out to be a lot more accurate in a general overall kind of way than the advice I was getting any where else.

The point is don't rely on just one forum to find all your answers. Sure, there are several knowledgeable and respectable music chasers here, there's a lot of great tips here. But the web is the same price for Valve Jr people as it is for Dumble people, so there is no excuse for not checking out what other forums have to say. For example, I might be the first one to tell you, "Fuggedabout the Bad Monkey, pure P.O.S!" because it is common knowledge that the Bad Monkey really IS a pure P.O.S. pedal. But I will never again say anything like a blanket, "Forget about EQ pedals." If you heard my current amp with and without the Allums modded GE7 EQ pedal in the fx loop, you would tell me to never turn that EQ pedal off cuz it sounds fantastic. No way I could get that sound without that specific pedal in that fx loop. And there's no way a great studio sound will translate 100% of the time to a great stage sound.

I've been away from this place for a bit, and I'm surprised at how blanket statements that are just not true can be thrown around like confetti in some of these forums. In the end, if a guy is truly serious about finding his best and most inspiring guitar sound and gear, there is no substitute for doing the research and simply buying and trying the gear. Sell what you hate, mod what you like, get the best you can afford, and always remember that every single ingredient from strings and pickups, every pedal, amp settings, all the way to the speaker and the cab and the room and the mic EACH will have an impact on the tone you hear. If you change even one thing, you have to redial everything and try your darndest to get good tone from it before you dismiss any piece of gear as useless or noisy or just plain POS.

Except if it's a Bad Monkey......those can go straight from store shelf to trash can! :D :spank:

I'd say you are a great candidate for a Mesa amp. Best amp I've had for plugging in direct with no pedals is the Mesa Express. The Frenzel is awesome too, but it has to be cranked full volume to work without pedals. Sounds great that way, like any real Fender would, and that is my favorite way to play, but it's hard to find venues that will tolerate that level of sound.

thing with mesa is im gonna have to spend alot of money. i can only really afford £800-£1000 (about $1300-1500 in usd).Ive always wanted one but can afford one just yet. i need something kinda 30-50watt. that would put me back more that that. i wanna get a kinda pop-punk sound from it. Abit like looking up from paramores brand new eyes album.
xx

Maybe check out the Egnater line. Great grassroots feedback so far, and way more reliable than Bugera......or is it Bugeringer......or Behringera.....or....anyway, seems to be a lot of "Bugs" in Bugera.

hmm the egnator rebel 30 looks pretty good maybe not for me, although i do like the looks of the marshall dsl50. Anyone had any experience with either of these amps?
xxx

I use a 15 Band Graphic EQ in a 1U Rackmount that is mounted in my Guitar head ..... The sound ?? just freaking awesome , adds endless versitility to my amp and I can get many great tones .....

Before the EQ I had a Thin lifeless sound and now it is Thick and punchy .....

Cheers

I use a 15 Band Graphic EQ in a 1U Rackmount that is mounted in my Guitar head ..... The sound ?? just freaking awesome , adds endless versitility to my amp and I can get many great tones .....

Before the EQ I had a Thin lifeless sound and now it is Thick and punchy .....

Cheers

This may be a silly question but, why did you buy an amp that sounds thin and lifeless? I can understand using an eq to enhance an already good sounding amp. But needing to use an eq just to get a good basic sound from the amp seems counterproductive.

+1 for MXR 10 band, much quiter than the boss GE7 I tried
It's the first thing in my chain to directly shape the sound out of the guitar and sometimes it's exactly what I need and sometimes it's not and is bypassed
The MXR 6 band is also good and under $70 best advice I can give you is try and see

Back