EM T5000 Tube Microphone

Most of what you say is way over my head but I'll address this
Output of the mic is a tad anemic although it is dead quiet.
I just did a quick test with the mic having replaced the tube with a Mullard. It would be hard to find fault with it really. It's a warm, full sound with just a little touch of brightness.
Anyway, I took the song (recorded on the Zoom R16) into a couple of DAWs for a listen with different reverbs. I noticed that the wave form was really small, probably -12dB so I Normalized both the T5000 and the Aurycle to 0dB.
Wow! Nothing but what I put into it. Zero hiss on either mic. Is this the joy of working with a power supply rather than phantom power?

Not loving the stock capsule in this mic except that it is very consistent across the various patterns.
I ordered a k67 from Advanced audio. Should be here this week.
Stock tranny seems OK. build quality of the mic is OK. Output of the mic is a tad anemic although it is dead quiet. Maybe has to do with the plate follower design.

...the AA K67 is 6-micron and I would expect it to sound better than the stock 3-micron capsule...as far as output, I suspect the circuit was designed around a 12AX7 (as many of the Chinese tube mics are), so substituting lower gain rated tubes such as a 12AY7/6072 or 12AT7/6201 will drop the output, but offer clearer tonality (lower output on tube mics, assuming noise levels are good, is generally desired, as it allows for the tube circuit to be driven a bit harder)...the plate-follower circuit is actually quite good, and I was advised to "clip" out the C9 and C10 filtering caps, which are also common to many Chinese tube mic designs...I'm pleased with the sound as is, and haven't removed those capacitors...maybe Philgood could chime in as he's more qualified to comment on the removal of those caps...

Kidvybes wrote:...the AA K67 is 6-micron and I would expect it to sound better than the stock 3-micron capsule...
the plate-follower circuit is actually quite good, and I was advised to "clip" out the C9 and C10 filtering caps, which are also common to many Chinese tube mic designs...

Well, I received the AA k67 capsule and soldered it in today. What a diff.... smooth and warm compared to the stock which sounded a bit tinny and sibilant IMO. Mids are much better defined as a result. i think this mic is a bargain even if you go into it expecting to upgrade a component or 2. The capsule BTW was only $75.00 off the Advanced Audio site, another bargain IMO considering it's balanced and not typically bright as I have found most Chinese k67 capsules to be. Hmm, I wonder what a tranny change would do for this mic as well. Does anyone know if there is a drop in replacement dual bobbin transformer for this mic? Not sure of the ratios myself.:)

Back