EM T5000 Tube Microphone

Jim Lad

Anyone know anything about these?
I'm guessing it's another kit but being wrong is always an option for me. :)
Anyway; Just across the strait from me and no duties so, what the heck!

...it is a re-branded iSK/Shengke tube mic with a nice simple plate-follower 6072 based circuit, with wima caps and a decent dual-bobbin transformer...if you can get one for around $200 on eBay, it's a great mic once you upgrade the stock tube...recommended...

That was my purchase on the link there.
Plus they shipped it for free because of a listing typo.
So $191.
Can someone here draw me a straight line to the right tubes.
Don't want to be paying an arm and a leg for them though.
Kidvybes: You've changed your avatar. Didn't realize it was you.
I still have the list of your recommendations from a previous post but was unable to buy the ideal tube locally.

Attachments

• T5000tube.jpg
    T5000tube.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 948
Thank you.
I know that the tube change made a huge difference to the other mic but what I gained in quality, I lost in sheer oomph!

So, it arrived yesterday and all of a sudden I remember why I changed the tube in the no name mic.
Lots & lots of oomph but what an excellent looking package.
Fancy, aluminium camera case with combination locks.
Spider mount and foam pop filter which is just a tad small. I'm actually using that on the other mic I was talking about and already have a larger sponge on order for a different mic.
If it fits, I'll buy another.
Got the woven, 7 pin cable which is a decent length. I can see no reason why these cables can't go from one 7 pin power unit to another and the jacks and sockets are keyed to prevent incompatibility issues.
So that's a really nice chord to have.
I'll get into some recording with it some time next week and will know what kind of quality I'm dealing with then.
All in all, I've just paid $200 for a multi-pattern vacuum tube condenser & accessories.
Not a bad price at all.

...the mic is quite good...I'm sure you'll be pleased...this mic was meant to sell for about twice what you paid...it's got a nice bottom-end, and none of the sizzly high-end so typical of many chinese LDC mics...the tube upgrade did add a bit of clarity as well...and if you like it, consider saving up just a bit more for your next tube mic purchase...I think you know where I'm going with this...a whole other level of good!...

The seller is aiming to let them go for twice as much but not having any luck.
I said "Well worth the money" in my review to help them along a bit.
I'm done buying for now, KV.
I have the AKG Solid Tube, the Behringer T-1, the Aurycle Tube, the EM T500 and a couple of Bluebirds and a few others to play around with.
So far, I love the Solid Tube to bits and have one song left to do to finish an album.
After that, I'll be messing around with all of the mics.

Well I am pleased.
Did an A/B with the Solid tube, using them on vocals.
"Four Strong Winds" A very gentle version with some louder parts and a few whispers.
Both mics give the same song an entirely different feel.
The AKG is predictably warm, rich and the EM has a brighter, retro sound to it.
Almost ribbon like. In fact, I wished I had used a ribbon for comparison.
That was in the cardioid setting but I'm sure the sound will change with the various other polar patterns.
Well worth the money.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/EM-T5000-Tube-Mi...817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2a0e418ea9

Jim...I found that my T5000 sounds best with a good quality GE 6201 (12AT7WA) tube...they are plentiful on eBay and not very expensive...if there is a multi-tube auction for a good price, then that might be your best option, as different tubes of the same design can perform differently, so having 2-3 tubes is a plus...

*some examples:
2 Tested GE 5 Star 6201 Tubes 12AT7 on eBay.ca (item 360339241019 end time 24-Feb-11 17:19:19 EST)
2 Strong GE Gray Plate O Getter 12AT7 / 6201 Tubes on eBay.ca (item 120657852788 end time 06-Feb-11 08:48:37 EST)
Thanks KV.
I'm enquiring into your first 2 leads right now.
Should have some on order by lunch time.
Just a note to those who may be considering valve/tube mics for the first time; I am not into swapping out parts just because you can.
There is an obvious difference in the sound.
Whether it's a good or bad change is entirely subjective, of course but it can be a worthwhile venture nonetheless.

Maybe helpful, maybe not- I've tested at least two dozen different varieties of 12AT7/ECC81/6201/B739... and of all of them, the new production JJ have far and away the lowest distortion. Typically half the THD of any of the others. The innards look quite different so maybe that's a hint. The price is nice as well. (no commercial interest)

JJ is the brand, out of Slovakia. Lots of dealers in the US. I paid $9 or so in small lots. If you have trouble finding them, let me know and I can point you to some dealers.

JJ-Electronic - Vacuum tubes, Capacitors, Amplifiers - Home

Innards look like ECC88, but the gain and transconductance are definitely ECC81. Low microphonics, so some might find the sound "boring." For me, I appreciate the neutrality.

Thanks.
Found them.
A bit too late though.
I've just ordered a bucket load of 12AT7 tubes and a couple of 12AY7 tubes from E-bay.
Various manufacturers.
It's going to be a lot of work, trying these out when they get here.
I can always sell what I don't use, I suppose.

Last edited:
Well this is interesting.
The first batch of valves arrived today.
3 Mullards. (ECC81, 12AT7) 1 very good, 1 better than what I had and 1 rumbles and spits.
Anyway, I put the best one into the T5000 and plugged it in before re-assembly, just to see if it glowed.
It certainly did!
Then I realized that it was glowing bright yellow at the base??
Turns out that these guys are using the same LED lit socket that AKG & Behringer are using in their Solid Tube & T-1 mics.
But the EM T5000 doesn't have a window.

I'll get around to actually checking the quality when the kid goes to bed.

Yup bright yellow LED base alright. Didn't notice it before because it's not so obvious. It's kind of hidden? Not sure what purpose this could serve except to make your tube look like it's burning hot!
Not loving the stock capsule in this mic except that it is very consistent across the various patterns.
I ordered a k67 from Advanced audio. Should be here this week.
Stock tranny seems OK. build quality of the mic is OK. Output of the mic is a tad anemic although it is dead quiet. Maybe has to do with the plate follower design.

Back