Electric Guitar quesdion

GamezBond

so I just snagged an Fender Electric Guitar for 500$ (200$ less than retail :D ), so anyways, im wondering what accesories I will need...?

I already have some monitor speakers, because im an engineer, so can I just plug the guitar in to it? I'm pretty sure the Guitar has a 1/4 output...

Monkey Allen said:
How about you get yourself an amp?

don't forget a strap, cord, and pick.

At that price, did it come with strings? Because you will need those. The 1/4" output should be fine. I think you can pick up 1/4" cables fairly cheap these days.

You're an engineer & you're asking these questions?
Plug it into what? The monitors?
Isn't it your job description to fascilitate such processes for clients?
Plug GTR into amp, mic amp, plug mic into pre, plug pre into INput, etc etc?
$500 Fender - Hmmm.
Cheers
rayC

Nah, you don't need an amp! If your car stereo has a tape player, get a 1/4"->1/8" adapter and one of those cassette adapters for iPods/mp3 players. Then you can play your guitar through your car stereo. Much cheaper than a big tube amp like a Marshall or Fender. And it should sound almost as good.

But seriously, how can you be an audio engineer and be asking this question? :rolleyes:

On a similar note, ive been driving forklifts for a couple of years. Can someone tell me how to raise and lower the forks? Do i do it by hand?

Recently i bought a some surgery tools at a car boot sale, (and for well under the asking price in the shop :D) now i know they are a bit rusty and that, but im sure they will be fine for what i need... So anyway i was just talking to a geezer down the pub who reckons that his wife needs a liver transplant, and it got me thinking, ive watched diagnosis murder, quincy, Er, casualty and other hospital related dramas for years so cant i just do it myself...i mean im not technically a doctor...but i know what one looks like, and she wont be able to tell the difference ..right? Can i use cow livers? I know, i know...but ive left this a bit late and er...the thing is..she here now bleeding away and...um....well..not sure if i have the right tools for the job and that...and the more i chip away, the more damage i seem to do...can someone point me in the right direction please? Theres three pints in it for ya if you can...nice one...now where did i put that masonary bit?

You will need some capable and nimble fingers to play that thing. I would suggest sending it my way, and I can provide that for you. I'd be happy to send the occasional recording or home movie of your guitar in action, just so you can be sure how good it sounds.

GamezBond said:
...im an engineer...
Are you sure? We already know you're not a mastering engineer and you have no clients. If you're looking for anything other than flames, then I suggest you get a new account here and start to act a bit more mature. Lying is frowned upon in most cultures.

Actually that last thread by gordone has got me thinking about this Gamezbond character, is there something dodgy afoot here? I mean in those other posts he comes clean to state....to paraphase..im not "actually" a mastering engineer..and then goes on to talk about making bootleg cd's...im thinking that the truth has yet to be told on this matter, perhaps he has stolen the guitar and is sizing up more items of musical worth to flog on, to fuel his coke habbit...maybe hes "grooming" young musicians for sex by being a gift horse...or maybe hes learning to play the thing....aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Im sure the truth Will come out, i think we have a right to know, dont you...yours Quo Vadis!

Theres a point, all the moral aspects and the lying ....so much lying aside..im sure that falls under moral too, i will have to ask my accountant though. Anyway i blame this on the shop salesman...what a plum. If all is indeed Kosher, and he did by a guitar..A big fundemental question now emerges, namely at some point didnt anyone including bond, bring up the amplification issue in the shop, or if it was online theres always links to assesories...so which leads me to believe that he acquired the guitar from dubious cicumstances or he was ripped off by someone telling him it was worth more than the asking price...he sure sounds dumb enough for that. In fact i think i might just know this dude. He once bought a "standard" Les Paul that turned out to be a "Lets Play" in closer inspection

I cannot recall one single time when I walked into a dealer and picked up a guitar or a bass and I was not asked, "What will you be playing it thru? Do you have an amp?"

For one thing, any dealer who let you walk out with a guitar and did not ask you what you are playing it thru is derelict.

And any dealer who found out you want to plug it directly into a monitor but did not try to tell you to buy a cord and an amp is derelict.

Either the "dealer" didn't give a damn what you are plugging it into, they/he/she/it was just glad to get rid of it and take your money......or.........you got screwed.........or..........it is stolen and your stories are very diaphonous.....

Or.........is there some other explanation we are overlooking here??

GamezBond said:
so I just snagged an Fender Electric Guitar for 500$ (200$ less than retail :D ), so anyways, im wondering what accesories I will need...?
I already have some monitor speakers, because im an engineer, so can I just plug the guitar in to it? I'm pretty sure the Guitar has a 1/4 output...

So what is the point of adding "because I'm an engineer"? If this is so, it was an apparent waste of a perfectly good education. Noone gives a hoot what your occupation is, or what you claim to be. If you want to gain the respect of others and be treated with dignity, and if you actually want to become part of something, I'd suggest you start with being yourself and leave the fake stuff out of it. I'd also suggest that you take a good hour of your precious engineering time to read a book or two. :rolleyes:

There are a lot of people I work with who call themselves 'Civil Engineers' yet none of them actually do any engineering of any kind...maybe GamezBond is one of them...

I really hope he isn't a Civil Engineer! Aren't those the folks that design our bridges and make sure that buildings don't collapse? :(

I'm a Software Engineer - BS in Computer Science (Cum Laude/Honors/Minor in Mathematics) and MS in Software Engineering, but knowing how to spell and how to plug in an electric guitar are two of my most important "skillz" :)

Back