Ebay Lowlifes

Dan Merrill

I recently lost an auction to buy some high end mics, and two days later was contacted privately by the ( so called) seller that the auction sale did not go through and was offering me a "second chance" to buy them at the price I had bid. He sent it on official looking ebay HTML page with the item and my bid on it, yet it came from a yahoo address. I think the second chance thing is actually a legit Ebay service, but i contacted the original seller through the completed ebay page and he confirmed he had not sent me this and his sale did in fact go through successfully.

I have reported it to Ebay, and it is almost sad the way this jerk is asking me to email him personal information so he can do this transaction "officially" through ebay. I can hardly wait for him to ask for my CC info...

Ebayers beware of the latest scams!

Dang lyin, cheatin, fibbin, thieving, sickening, BAD PEOPLE!

Ebay is great....and also an opportunity to take advantage of strangers. You're lucky to have realised the "Second Chance" was a fraud. There are guys out there that do this kinda stuff "professionally"! Just plain old sickening. Worst part is....you can't really do anything about it. No one can really...

FORWARD all those bogus e-messages to spoof@ebay.com

I get those bogus spoofs several times a week on Ebay items I never saw or bid on to begin with. They all say "my offer is still open, please respond". It's all a phony attempt to get your Ebay sign-in, password, and other valuable confidential information. Just clicking and signing into these spoof Ebay sign in screens is a bad idea.... :eek: ;)

Yeah, usually.

They're sent over & over from the same spoofers, too. It changes by the week who & what is being pitched.

"Item is still available. Please let me know if you will follow up on your offer". "Please respond so I may get quick shipment to you". "My offer is still open, let me know ASAP if you're still interested". All on stuff I've never even browsed, at all.

It's usually something like a bigscreen plasma tv, a laptop computer, or some high end receiver that's being spoofed. It's all bogus. The "reply" button takes you to a spoofed Ebay sign in page, where they rip off your Ebay id and password. I send'em all to spoof@ebay.com .

Damn, I hate any and all people who would engage in spoofing! I hope they all get hard time! :eek:

Last edited:
Maybe you should have some fun with this guy. I was selling some hi-end monitors thru the "recycler" and I got a reply from this guy that said he wanted these speakers and someone near me owes him $50,000.00. He wanted me to recieve the check and deposit it and send him the speakers with the balance. I played with this guy for a month. He was from Germany. I had him calling me at least 14 times. He many times got real excited. Then I told him that there was a mis-spelling on the check ( he sent me the $50,000.00 check ) then he sent me another one by overnight Fed-Ex. I made him feel like I was falling for his scam, then when I got tired of it, I sent him an E-mail stating that from the biginning, I was on to him, and was just having a little fun. All those overseas calls must have cost him a lot. On one of his calls I even fell asleep.

chance said:
Maybe you should have some fun with this guy. I was selling some hi-end monitors thru the "recycler" and I got a reply from this guy that said he wanted these speakers and someone near me owes him $50,000.00. He wanted me to recieve the check and deposit it and send him the speakers with the balance. I played with this guy for a month. He was from Germany. I had him calling me at least 14 times. He many times got real excited. Then I told him that there was a mis-spelling on the check ( he sent me the $50,000.00 check ) then he sent me another one by overnight Fed-Ex. I made him feel like I was falling for his scam, then when I got tired of it, I sent him an E-mail stating that from the biginning, I was on to him, and was just having a little fun. All those overseas calls must have cost him a lot. On one of his calls I even fell asleep.

Ya a news team would have loved to taken over for you!

chance said:

That is really great stuff man. A friend of mine got taken for $5000 by a Nigerian. :mad:
I receive spoof ebay emails all the time, but mine usually don't reference a bid item. They usually just tell me I need to click on a link to sign in and update my account. Very realistic-looking if you aren't watching where the links go and who is sending it.

Yeah, me too,...

Reggie said:
That is really great stuff man. A friend of mine got taken for $5000 by a Nigerian. :mad:
I receive spoof ebay emails all the time, but mine usually don't reference a bid item. They usually just tell me I need to click on a link to sign in and update my account. Very realistic-looking if you aren't watching where the links go and who is sending it.

Like this one I received today:...
=============================
To: Reel@sgl.net
Subject: eBay Profile Update
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 07:41:18 -0600

Dear eBay Member,

During our Security and Resolution Center regular maintainance period it has come to our attention that your eBay Billing Information is out of date. The update process is a very simple and fast one and it must be completed immediately in order to avoid any future issues - Terms of Service (TOS) violations, cancellation of service, account suspension or even account termination.
To update your eBay records on file now click below:

It is highly recommended that you right click on the link
and select the "Open in New Window" option as some mail clients will not allow you to proceed!

https://arribada.ebay.com/saw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?PlaceCCInfo&SignIn&UsingSSL=1

Once you have completed the process your eBay session will not be interrupted and your online experience will continue as normal.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and we would like to thank you
for your cooperation as we review this matter.

Thank you for using eBay!
http://www.ebay.com

eBay sent this e-mail to you because your Notification Preferences
indicate that you want to receive information your eBay Credit Card Statement.

To change your communication preferences, click here. Or, simply reply to this e-mail
with UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line. Please note that it may take up to 14 days
to process your request. Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

Copyright © 2005 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.

======================
That's a spoof, all the way.
Spoofs always begin "Dear (service) Member:"
among other telltale signs of spoofing.
Notice the first link is spoofed all the way!!!
That's not a legitimate Ebay address!

Also notice that it refers to options on my Ebay credit card statement,... but I don't have an Ebay credit card account!!! :eek: ;)

Firing squad without a trial, I say!!

you know when you get those bogus "ebay" pages logon using something like user mane "blowme" and any password. It will always get you to the next page. It's just fun to fill in bogus info. Let's them know somepeople know what they are up to.

Interesting...

zbert said:
you know when you get those bogus "ebay" pages logon using something like user mane "blowme" and any password. It will always get you to the next page. It's just fun to fill in bogus info. Let's them know somepeople know what they are up to.

Good tip!

How'bout login:"fuckoffanddie" and pwd:"asshole",... is one of my favorites!!

:rolleyes: :eek: ;)

never respond to "second chance offers" unless you want to throw your cash away.

some may disagree with that but you cant be to safe.

Second chance offers

Sometimes I offered "second chance offer" if I have multiple counts of the same item and the second to highest bid is close enough, plus if the offer proves to still be profitable to me even though it is not as high as the highest bid. But I would tell the bidder that I do have another in stock, and the previous auction did go through succesfully. I advise all to be careful with spoof emails. Don't lose your credit cards and bank accounts to the sharks. I get one of these a day easily.

A Reel Person said:
Like this one I received today:...
=============================
To: Reel@sgl.net
Subject: eBay Profile Update
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 07:41:18 -0600

Dear eBay Member,

During our Security and Resolution Center regular maintainance period it has come to our attention that your eBay Billing Information is out of date. The update process is a very simple and fast one and it must be completed immediately in order to avoid any future issues - Terms of Service (TOS) violations, cancellation of service, account suspension or even account termination.
To update your eBay records on file now click below:

It is highly recommended that you right click on the link
and select the "Open in New Window" option as some mail clients will not allow you to proceed!

https://arribada.ebay.com/saw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?PlaceCCInfo&SignIn&UsingSSL=1

Once you have completed the process your eBay session will not be interrupted and your online experience will continue as normal.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and we would like to thank you
for your cooperation as we review this matter.

Thank you for using eBay!
http://www.ebay.com

eBay sent this e-mail to you because your Notification Preferences
indicate that you want to receive information your eBay Credit Card Statement.

To change your communication preferences, click here. Or, simply reply to this e-mail
with UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line. Please note that it may take up to 14 days
to process your request. Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

Copyright © 2005 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.

======================
That's a spoof, all the way.
Spoofs always begin "Dear (service) Member:"
among other telltale signs of spoofing.
Notice the first link is spoofed all the way!!!
That's not a legitimate Ebay address!

Also notice that it refers to options on my Ebay credit card statement,... but I don't have an Ebay credit card account!!! :eek: ;)

Firing squad without a trial, I say!!

The computer industry term for this is "phishing". Scammers fake being eBay, banks, credit card companies and send out these generic messages trying to fool people into believing they are legit.

Phishing for suckers, as it were...

Back