ear candy..

David

:D ...no, i'm joking. I've been working on this two wks and I think i'm going backwards each mix. Second time i've retracked this song this year...probably will be my last time..forever:) . Would like to get as good of mix as i can though, tell me what you think. http://www.nowhereradio.com/david/singles song is "To die young" bottom of the page. Thanks.

Good guitar tone! Lead spikes sometimes but maybe that was the effect that you were going for. Groove of the tune is cool! Vox is good. I like the ending. Sounds like me in the 70's. LOL

I'm having to Lo-fi it right now so I won't comment on the mix.

CR ><>

Axe4Yahweh said:
Good guitar tone! Lead spikes sometimes but maybe that was the effect that you were going for. Groove of the tune is cool! Vox is good. I like the ending. Sounds like me in the 70's. LOL

I'm having to Lo-fi it right now so I won't comment on the mix.

CR ><>
Thanks Axe4yahweh, i'm sure the mix has big time issues. 70's is still kool eh? :D Haha! Thanks man

I think this would have a lot more bite if you brought up those rhythm guitars. I really find them almost buried in the background, i'd like to see them drawn up front driving the song.

I know how you feel man, i always feel that retracking somehow "changes" the song. It may be the same in writing terms but the feel for me is always completely different.

Your voice at the end is reminding me a little of tesla somewhat.

Your voice sounds better and better each time I hear you. I'm really getting to know the subtlties and the character.

The song and playing sound great, but the overall mix seems a little lifeless - especially since you can tell the playing is full of energy. The snare and hi-hat especially could use a little more life - maybe some reverb? Khomputer was probably right about the rhythm geetar. In fact, maybe everything could come up except the vocals (as good as they are).

That last guitar bit was killer, but maybe the too dirty in contrast to the rest.

Cool song. I liked the guitar riff in the intro. I also liked the guitar part through the chorus. Good singing - you have a nice voice. Lots of power to it.

I'm listening on small headphones, so this may be off... But it seems the mix needs a little more low end. Agree? I think the rhythm guit could use a little more umph around 300-500 hz(guessing), and the bass could be brought up some. When the bass first kicked in, I wanted it to hit me hard enough to knock me over. Bring that puppy up, I'd say.

Good lead guitar playing.... Some of that lead work was outstanding.

Lots of opportunities for harmonies. You could work something nice into this one. Maybe a "bigger" reverb on the vocals. They sound pretty sweet as they are. But I wonder if they'd blend into the mix and sound slightly warmer if they had a nice medium sized room verb on them.

'comin on out with it! I really like this tune. This is the big wide stuff. I dl`d this and listened on the system here, so i`ll tell you what I hear as an mp3, but you always can tell me to shut the hell up.. :) I really like this presentation..
The vocal is really good, i`d pad the mid on it a little and bring it up a bit more and . The cymbals and highhat could ease back a little, but keep the presence on them, they are dom'in the rythym a little.The snare is in there good, a little fat wouldnt hurt and a touch of verb to let it breath, I think the kick could come out just a rch more. I`d add a little mid on the rythymn guitar to fatten it some. @ 0:31 I think you pulled the level back a little much on the rythym guitar. I like the bass, smooth...just a touch of level.
There now, be sure to take that with a grain of salt and the nurse will get you back to see me again at 9 a.m. sharp on the 24th. ;)

(afternote from listening again.) This makes me feel good, like it should be on LP.

Last edited:
hey Dave, nice guitar playing.. vocals are always great..

as for the mix, I would bring up everything except the vocals and cymbals.. actually, everyone else put it better and I agree.. cool ending that almost seemed too heavy for this type of tune, but I still liked it.. I think this deserves another mix session..

fresh - I got your PM but your box is full.

Do NOT give up on this. It's a real good effort. You have a very powerful and resonant voice. You play a great lead guitar. If you're frustrated with the sound, put this song aside and work on something else for a while.

You have some good abilities and good song ideas. Never give up on anything.

YES!!!!
Top Notch stuff!!!
I LOVE the intro, great axe sound and playing.
only two things that I can hear that I would prefer would be to mix the vocals back into the mix just a TAD and more power on the bass. This is fantastic though, thanks for posting this one!!!

Rockin' for The Rock
Mike

Always dig listening to your tunes. Good balanced mix, you seem to have your sound figured out. The double rythm guitars through the tune sat just right for me.

The rythm guitar at the start is a little harsh tone wise, but does kick the tune off nicely.

My only gripe is that the vocals seem to have less air and more low mids than the guitar tracks.

Smoking leads, nice phrasing. Real groovy stuff going on in the bridge.

Doug

Rockin tune David!I didnt notice this one on the board.I guess Im not used to the name "Freshears" just yet.LMAO!:D

I dig this one just like I dig all of your stuff.Im not a mix guru so I wont even attempt to mention mix issues.LOL.Kickin tune with great vocals and guitars!

When are we gonna figure out how to do a collab man?:eek: ;)

Smokin' ain't he? :cool: Listening again and it takes on me real good..damn nice tune.
I think yu caught a touch of the harris syndrome Dave, (jus kiddin chris) mix, mix, mix, mix...mix. relax, eat an apple, it sounds good man. :)

Hope you make Kramer a busy man soon.. I want in on one too sometime, if you can swing it.

Troll alert!

super_critic said:
you should just give up on this song (and probably your music aspirations, too). just saying what no one else here will.

I'm guessing this is one of our regulars under a different name..

It has happened before..

Re: Troll alert!

B.SABBATH said:

It has happened before..

First thing I thought of too.

Never give up on anything fresh.

Re: Re: Troll alert!

TripleM said:
First thing I thought of too.

Never give up on anything fresh.

hey, it's not that the guy can't play guitar. he can. it's just that if he wants to make a song like this interesting he should at least listen to the masters of this genre (vai, satch, johnson) first.

Re: Re: Re: Troll alert!

super_critic said:
hey, it's not that the guy can't play guitar. he can. it's just that if he wants to make a song like this interesting he should at least listen to the masters of this genre (vai, satch, johnson) first.

:confused:

Re: Troll alert!

B.SABBATH said:

It has happened before..

yep,a transvestite cock hugging troll at that.

BAN him by IP!

Back