E-MU 1820M Series: Did I get screwed?

dsynthuhsize

I have been going over this site the last couple of days and have spent at least 8 hours alone on homerecording forums.

I recently needed to feed my gear obsession so because of great marketing by E-MU (creative), I bought the E-MU 1820.

Looks like a great product, 8 inputs, 8 outputs, 7.1 support (1/8 inch stero jacks, for those who have regular multimedia systems ei logitech z640) Mic pre amps, and DIGI design A/D convertors at 120 SNR!!!

So I purchase and get it shipped overnight....low and behold. Right when I am reveling in the glory of my purchase, reading the supple manual, I stuble upon the information that 1820 has the step down A/D convertor!!! 112 SNR!!!

Emu line as follows:
1212: 120 SNR- 200 dollars
1820 112 SNR - 400 Dollars (MY SYSTEM!)
1820m 120 SNR - 500 Dollars

It will be arriving in the morning. What should I do?

Will this make a difference in my recordings? Should I worry, should I fret? samedaymusic.com had the specs wrong.

1. Should I wait another week and purchase the better one, and pay more?
2. Or will I, a home studio musician, looking to record basic demos, be satisfied with the 112SNR (rated better than m-audio, echo, etc)

Your opinion is much desired!!!

Thank you,

Benjamin Reece
http://portfolio.vertodesign.com

dsynthuhsize said:
I have been going over this site the last couple of days and have spent at least 8 hours alone on homerecording forums.

I recently needed to feed my gear obsession so because of great marketing by E-MU (creative), I bought the E-MU 1820.

Looks like a great product, 8 inputs, 8 outputs, 7.1 support (1/8 inch stero jacks, for those who have regular multimedia systems ei logitech z640) Mic pre amps, and DIGI design A/D convertors at 120 SNR!!!

So I purchase and get it shipped overnight....low and behold. Right when I am reveling in the glory of my purchase, reading the supple manual, I stuble upon the information that 1820 has the step down A/D convertor!!! 112 SNR!!!

Emu line as follows:
1212: 120 SNR- 200 dollars
1820 112 SNR - 400 Dollars (MY SYSTEM!)
1820m 120 SNR - 500 Dollars

It will be arriving in the morning. What should I do?

Will this make a difference in my recordings? Should I worry, should I fret? samedaymusic.com had the specs wrong.

1. Should I wait another week and purchase the better one, and pay more?
2. Or will I, a home studio musician, looking to record basic demos, be satisfied with the 112SNR (rated better than m-audio, echo, etc)

Your opinion is much desired!!!

Thank you,

Benjamin Reece
http://portfolio.vertodesign.com

I am hesitant to believe ANY published specs from E-Mu-Creative products nowadays. Just look at what they did with the Audigy cards...

Well, It was outlined at their site and on the NAMM video. Samedaymusic.com had it wrong though, and I just went to fast. Any opinions on my question?

What do yall think I should do?
Upgrade or stay?

Thank you!
< ben >

dsynthuhsize said:
Well, It was outlined at their site and on the NAMM video. Samedaymusic.com had it wrong though, and I just went to fast. Any opinions on my question?

What do yall think I should do?
Upgrade or stay?

Thank you!
< ben >

I received mine today, but I ordered the 1820m, I think you'll do great with the 1820, but if you have the money is up to you.

I have done great with a lot less.

Vilo,

I agree, I have done fine with a sound blaster live card.

Thats why I decided to keep the 1820, which I will be doing a full in depth review on this message board. I believe this sound card will be a major player.

ALSO, let me know what you think of your sound card.
How is the software? Are the pre amps decent? What kind of recording setup do you have?

Thank you,
< ben >

ViLo said:
I received mine today, but I ordered the 1820m, I think you'll do great with the 1820, but if you have the money is up to you.

I have done great with a lot less.

Let us know how it sounds, do you have another card you are/can compare it too. I've always loved E-MU stuff I just hope the Creative division didn't have much to do with it... I'll probably get one to try out.

If you are running XP, right click on my computer, then click properties, then click the hardware tab. Then click device manager.
Check to make sure the device is recognized under Sound devices and does not have any errors.

Let me know...
< ben >

there were no problems found .I just cant understand,seems like this stuff only happens to me.Gotta go Got a gig tonite

dsynthuhsize said:
Vilo,

I agree, I have done fine with a sound blaster live card.

Thats why I decided to keep the 1820, which I will be doing a full in depth review on this message board. I believe this sound card will be a major player.

ALSO, let me know what you think of your sound card.
How is the software? Are the pre amps decent? What kind of recording setup do you have?

Thank you,
< ben >

I use to have the AKAI DPS16 BOx, I sold it and decided to venture into the computer world.....I'm in the process of putting a computer together for this system, so is going to take another week @ least. :)

For cheap computer parts, and they build it, so you dont have to worry about getting technical (I am A+ net+ novell, and CIW, and I still hate putting computers together!).

www.accessmicro.com

For just DARN cheap parts and free second day shipping, check out:
www.zipzoomfly.com

I put together my pentium 4 3.0 ghz 1 gig ram, for under 500.00

Lets keep this thread going!

< ben >

I'd say just stick with it.

I don't think my Delta 44 does anything like 112 and I'm more than happy with it

I just got an 1820 (non-M).

My god. Easy to get up and running (no playing around with PCI slots or drivers) Versatile (if complicated) routing, excellent sound, surprisingly nice pres with good gain...

About the only thing i dislike is that I don't like it on the WDM front where it sounds like crap and is useless and routing in my Sonar 3...but I just switched it to ASIO and no problems. Tried a bunch of different things and I'm very very happy. best 400 dollars I've spent. MUCH better than my Deltas.

This is a VERY VERY good card...

But it's still a new card! Remember that! (I got it because I received assurance that if need be, I could return it within 24 hours if it's incompatible with my computer setup...) This is still a card for pioneers rather than guys who want a surefire card. I got lucky...you might not be so lucky...

But damn is this a good card! VERY glad I got this. I'll have a full rundown of my experience later...

dsynthuhsize said:
For cheap computer parts, and they build it, so you dont have to worry about getting technical (I am A+ net+ novell, and CIW, and I still hate putting computers together!).

www.accessmicro.com

For just DARN cheap parts and free second day shipping, check out:
www.zipzoomfly.com

I put together my pentium 4 3.0 ghz 1 gig ram, for under 500.00

Lets keep this thread going!

< ben >

If is not too much trouble, can you tell me what exaclty you got[wich Mobo, processor, memory, drives, etc.]?

I'm trying to put a computer together.
Thanks

No problem,
If you are not techno savvy, goto dell.com and let them configure it. Excellent prices. if you check out this site, you CANNOT beat some of these deals they give you coupon codes and tell you how to combine them at dell to get a killer deal.

http://www.morestuff4less.com/

Sometimes it will be a week or so before Dell comes up though

IF you can put together you own computer.....
I would recommend this:
You can do all the research you want, but believe, I have done it all.
This system is the sweet spot, if you spend more, you dont get value, if you spend less you dont get as much power for the money.

If you can spend around 800.00

Pentium 4 - 2.8ghz
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80657
KILLER PROCESSOR. I PROMISE YOU, do not pass this deal up!!
the .90nanomete process and 1mb cach makes it out perform and oh so overclockable.

COST: 192.00

1, 80gb hitachi Serial ATA hdd (you can add another later, and make it raid.

Best reviewed besides SCSI!

COST: 90.00

2- Radeon 9000 or 9200, unless you want killer games, then 9600xt or 9800pro

COST 88.00

3. 512 mb ram. Kingston value IS fine. Plenty enough.

COST: 100.00

4. A good recording sound card. WHOLE other subject, I went with

COST: WE WILL LEAVE THAT OUT OF COST

5. And the ASUSp4p800 deluxe is an excellent review Motherboard
RAID, OVERCLOCKIGN IS JUST A PUSH OF THE BUTTON, and very safe.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=240307
Trust me on this one, I love mine!!

COST: 126.00

And a 19 INCH CRT or 15 inch LCD.

COST: about 200.00

6. For monitoring, get the Logitech z640s or 540s, EXCELLENT reviews. Unless you want studio monitors, which, that is a WHOLE other subject.

OK, with keyboard , mouse, case, and shiping its a little over 800, but hey!

If you want to spend less, let me know, I will put together a lower budget system!

Thanks man!

KEEP playing forever.

< ben >

dsynthuhsize said:

If you want to spend less, let me know, I will put together a lower budget system!

Thanks man!

KEEP playing forever.

< ben >

Great, but I'm low on budget.
The Asus MoBo is a good deal so that will the one.
A friend of mine is giving me a Pentim 4 2.4 800FSB processor, so I'm saving some money on the processor.
I don't need to monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.

I'm intrested in the Mobo, Processor[which I already have] memory, 2 HD's, CD burner,[I also have a case]

This is what I was looking @:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-450&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-999-330&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-126&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-122&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=27-106-197&depa=0

I have the EMU 1820m Sound Card.

Thanks, I appreciate your help very much! :cool:

That will work fine, However, I probably , for like 8 more bucks go with the brand name kingston.

And I probably would not go western digital for two reasons

1. The hitacthi Serial ATA 80 gig is a much better performer and 12 more bucks.

2. We dont use western digital at work because they have problems with failing.

Everything else looks great though.

BTW, do you think I will be happy with the 1820 or should I upgrade to the M. I would like to keep the 1820, just cus its already been shipped and I think it will do fine, but I dont know.

How important is 7 DB of signal to noise?

< ben >

dsynthuhsize said:
That will work fine, However, I probably , for like 8 more bucks go with the brand name kingston.

And I probably would not go western digital for two reasons

1. The hitacthi Serial ATA 80 gig is a much better performer and 12 more bucks.

2. We dont use western digital at work because they have problems with failing.

Everything else looks great though.

BTW, do you think I will be happy with the 1820 or should I upgrade to the M. I would like to keep the 1820, just cus its already been shipped and I think it will do fine, but I dont know.

How important is 7 DB of signal to noise?

< ben >

thanks for your help.

I think you are already thinking too much about the 1820m :), if you can afford it, get it you'll also get the daugther card with the sync options.

I went for it because I did not wanted to be thinking, what if?
So if you have the extra money go ahead and do it :)

dsynthuhsize said:
Crap! I think your right!!!
AHHHH.
GRRRRRRRRR
OK OK. :)

Sorry :D

One more question:

If I use the Hitachi 80 Gig 7200 rpm >>>2 mb buffer<<<<<[$66.00] for the OS, and the Hitachi 120 Gig 7200 rpm 8mb[$113.00] for the Audio recording, will that be OK???.

I'm worried about the 2 mb buffer, but @ the same time I don't think it'll make a difference, what do ou think??

thanks

Back