Drums.

Drummer706

AOD AND SANCTIFIED
hey guys listen i am a drummer. ive been druming 4 almost 2 years now. now i need your help w/ this. I need 2 buy a drum set. mid-quality. I currently have a double bass drum kit premier xbk set. 9 pieces the problem is that they lent it 2 me so i have 2 buy a new one. now i need your help. i need all the info u guys can give me on drums. They will be used 2 record and 2 play gigs. mics i dont worry about cuz i have the audix d series mics. The budget is between $400 to $900 dollars. The music type is heavy metal rock and a little fusion. i also need your help on wat type of cymbals i can use w/ the set please be as specific as possible w/ all this information. budget on cymbals is not a prob. remember they will also be for heavy metal and fusion. thanx 4 all your help.

The premier kit is widely used by metal musicians such as yourself, I figure if you like the kit you got, find a used one just like it. I would sudgest maybe trying a double pedal instead of two bass drums. You may want to consider this if you do alot of traveling, especially the kind up stairs or in a small compact car, like I have. Your biggest expense would be the cymbals, but you dont want to sacrafice quality over price in this area, they can make or break the overall sound. I dont know what kind you have now, but Sabian makes fairly good quality cymbals at reasonable prices. You can get a kit with hi hats, ride, and crash like these here
You can also get extra effects cymbals. I would look at local music stores close to you. Hope that helps.

if you are any kind of serious drummer you want to stay away from those packs.

Since your playing style is metal, I would go with 18, 19 or 20 inch Zildjian z custom crashes or 18, 19, or 20 inch Sabian AAX metal crashes. Anything smaller is going to crack and sound cheap with your playing style.

hey

i want 2 keep the double bass drums but i will settle for double bass drum pedals. i need 2 know wat are good mid-quality soundin' drums.

Attachments

• 11pcwhitebackview_small.jpg
    11pcwhitebackview_small.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 412
Tama Rockstar is in your budget and they are very good mid priced drums.The hardware is a whole lot better than the Premier hardware.
If you're looking for a 9 or 11 piece kit, you won't get anything new in your price range. I bought a 7 piece Rockstar kit used for $150.00 (it needed a lot of cleaning). I almost would have paid that for the snare alone because it was very good and sensitive.
Tama drums are also favorites among heavy metal and hard rock drummers because the toms are all full size in depth.

Cymbals are another story. They get expensive real quick. For a large kit you will also need some heavy duty stands and hardware, balanced booms, etc. to get your cymbals where you need them and to not tip over from heavy playing.
Zildjian Z's or K's for live work and Zildjian A's for studio recording. The microphones don't like heavy cymbals for recording.
I agree to stay away from the Zildjian ZBT, ZXT, Sabian B8's,Paiste 502's and 802's, they just don't sound right (sort of tinny and cheap). To save money, buy used. Great buys can be had.
I just bought an 18" Zildjian dry ride (circa 1960's) and a Zildjian 16" dark crash (also circa 1960's) in a thrift store for $15.00 for both. Keep your eyes open and shop around. I normally play between 8-10 cymbals on my kit plus hi-hats. (That is a lot of stands)

yea thanx rimshot 4 the cymbol advice. right now my goal is. 5 crashes (diffrent sizes) 3 splashes (diffrent sizes) 2 china's (diffrent sizes). and i still need 2 decide between a flat ride or a dark ride.

rimshot

hey rimshot i know u know alot about mics. wat can u tell me about the mics i have??? i have the audix d sieres for my drums.

Audix is a GREAT mic manufacturer! They are relatively new to the scene compared to the old traditional Mic manufacturers, but they have raised a lot of eyebrows and gotten a lot of smiling nods from the traditional old "If it ain't German, it's crap" crowd.

I love the D6 as a kick mic. I've used it once, I wish I owned one.
Even their fusion "F" series is great. I own a little F12 that I use as a floor tom mic along with an AT Pro 25 on the other floor tom. Good response. I don't know anything about their overheads though, never used them. Are they any good?

They r awesome. i use a D1 on my snare and high hat, i have 4 D2 one for each tom, then i have 2 D4 for my floor toms and a 2 D6 for my bass drums. my friend has the 2 F15 overheads they kick ass i might sell all the mics i got and get maybe 3 or 4 F15 overheads.

Re: hey

Drummer706 said:
i want 2 keep the double bass drums but i will settle for double bass drum pedals. i need 2 know wat are good mid-quality soundin' drums.

Hey Drummer man...
Nice set ;)

Hey Drummer706,
I wasn't ignoring you back in August. You must have posted your question when I went away on a brief vacation and this thread must have slipped down off the page by the time I got back. I just saw it since it was resurrected.

A flat or a dark ride? I would only use a flat ride if I had another ride as well. I like to play the bell a lot in the middle of a ride pattern.( I'm assuming that is what you mean by a flat ride; the ones without the bell) If you are playing mostly metal, I think you'd want more of a ping ride sound, but maybe I'm wrong there. I play a very dry dark ride but I play a lot of hard bop jazz and I also have a 20" sizzle ride mounted next to it for another voice. I always think of the darker drier rides as being mostly jazz cymbals but maybe that's just me.
Buy the one you like the best. The one that fits your sound. Do you want a variety of very different voices with your cymbals for different effects at different times? Or do you want a
similarity to the overall sound wih just pitch changes? Both of those options are equally legitimate and are choices of style. Trust your ears. After a while, if you're like me, you'll have a whole bunch of cymbals and will occassionly switch off for different styles of playing or songs, or when you just damn
well feel like it.

Drummer706,
In answer to your original question, I would go with a set of Mapex V Series. For your price range, in my oh-so-humble opinion, it's the best set available. Of course, the problem is, not many music stores sale Mapex products, compared to Yamaha, Tama, and Pearl.

Or, go all out and get on eBay and find a really kick-ass set for really cheap. I got a 5-piece Ludwig Super Classics, with all hardware, ride, 2 crashes, splash, hats, and throne for $1050. Quite a deal. And they're the best sounding drums I've ever played on.

Back