drum recordings sounding a little high pitched

sirenvy

Okay, I have an electronic drumset, that I just bought. I know its not going to sound like acoustic, but the reason why I bought this set, i heard a recording sample with it and it actually sounds quite real. I am going through a Line6 UX2, which would be my interface, and I am into my computer which I just recently bought. I have my sounds going through M-Audio Powered Monitors(mono) and I cant seem to get why my drum sounds sound a little higher and not deep like you would normally hear it.

Sorry for the lengthy question.

If you could post a sample of your recorded electronic drums, then you could probably find some advice that is both helpful and specific. I'm not sure what you mean by "high-pitched".

Sometimes samples for an electronic drum kit are processed in the interest of selling the product. EQ, compression, reverb... then when you hit the trigger it sounds very "dry".

When I had an electric drum kit, I found that it sounded high pitched and a little weedy which was why I went back. I think you could get it to sound deeper but you'll just have to do alot of tweaking.
I've heard many samples of samples that sound wonderful but when the thing was in my hands, not so ! :D I guess these things are often set up by masters {:D} of the programming arts but we're left high and dry to fend for ourselves with little, if any, assisstance.
Which, actually, is how it should be. That's how one learns the art of the tweak....

Just a thought...a 44.1k sample will sound higher-pitched if it's played back at 48k. If there are any digital connections involved (optical/coax, usb) between units, make sure one of them isn't upping the sampling rates in the process.

sorry for the delay, holidays....I figured a way to deepen the sound. This drums are pretty nice, Simmons SD7PK, great set for a budget guy like myself. I actually am looking to uprade my Audio Interface, the UX2 is GREAT but I need something more advance now. Any thoughts on a decent interface between 200-500?

If, hypothetically, this question had been asked say, 100,000 times or so, one might be able to glean a few results using the "Search" function conveniently located in the upper-right hand corner of every page.

Hypothetically speaking, of course. It isn't like we expect people to use the search function, because it would deprive us of the opportunity to answer this question over and over and over for the rest of our lives.

Just in case this shows up in a search sometime...

Dealing with the original question: I have a Simmons SD5K; pretty much a low-end edrum kit.

A button on the front of the controller allows one to very easily tune each individual drum's "note" up or down.

No rack of outboard equipment required; not even 20 plug-ins...just RTFM (which is maybe 20 pages)...

Last edited:
Just in case this shows up in a search sometime...

Dealing with the original question: I have a Simmons SD5K; pretty much a low-end edrum kit.

A button on the front of the controller allows one to very easily tune each individual drum's "note" up or down.

No rack of outboard equipment required; not even 20 plug-ins...just RTFM (which is maybe 20 pages)...

Again, I have the Sk7pk model. Its okay, I have ventured onto other homerecording websites that have a warmer approach to welcome people to their website.

Dammit, lost another loan to Ditech!!!! :mad:

OP, we'll be here to help us when you develop some questions.

Nice to know. It was my first time on this site, and I wanted to ask you guys a question. I went onto another homerecording site, and ask the same quesiton. And they all gave me some nice Interfaces around my price range. Then I picked a couple out and ask more questions on it. But hey, what can you do.

Again, I have the Sk7pk model. Its okay, I have ventured onto other homerecording websites that have a warmer approach to welcome people to their website.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood what I was saying, which was not directed at you.

I was responding to the posters who said the drum manufacturers use various forms of trickery or excessive tweaking to make their drums sound better, when, in fact, the problem could be rectified by a few pushes of a front panel button. Which, from your statement "I figured a way to deepen the sound", I assumed you'd figured out for yourself.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood...

Its all good. I am some what new, been homerecording for about 2 years, and I just got more into it as the days progress.

Back