Drum panning question.

Vinnydude

Clunge Monster
So, i've noticed this in a few bands now, mainly metal though i've noticed, but the hihat is panned to the right. The toms are all panned correctly though.

Just wondered if anyone knew a reason for this?

Amp sims suck...get a real tube amp!
Oh wait...wrong thread...but hey, another "drum panning" thread...so this should be fun too. :D ;)

When you say toms are panned correctly...do you mean they are panned wrong/different relative to the right-panned hats???
I dunno...I don't listen that much to Metal to notice if it's a regular thing.

Amp sims suck...get a real tube amp!
Oh wait...wrong thread...but hey, another "drum panning" thread...so this should be fun too. :D ;)

When you say toms are panned correctly...do you mean they are panned wrong/different relative to the right-panned hats???
I dunno...I don't listen that much to Metal to notice if it's a regular thing.

If you're gonna troll, step up the comedy.

Naaa...that's not trolling...that was just a one-off for you. ;)
But I'm going to talk to my writers and see if they can come up with some better lines.

I'm actually curious what the OP means about it.
When you say they probably use a remote...would they all normally put the remote on right side?

Naaa...that's not trolling...that was just a one-off for you. ;)
But I'm going to talk to my writers and see if they can come up with some better lines.

I'm actually curious what the OP means about it.
When you say they probably use a remote...would they all normally put the remote on right side?

Usually. A right handed drummer would typically have a remote hi-hat near the ride cymbal, and the regular hats on his left.

OK...but then we have to ask that million dollar question again...
...are they panning audience or drummer's perspective? :D

Oh Noooooooooooooooooooooo.... ;)

The toms are correct, as in, they go from hight to low, left to right, as if your sat behind the kit.

I can understand people mixing hats near the middle, but it seems wierd to pan it to the opposite side it 'should' be.

Right handed kit, remote pedal on the left, remote hats on the right.

Attachments

• drums.JPG
    drums.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 74
5 seconds of googling reveals that Disturbed's drummer uses remote hats, which explains the opposite "panning" and different sound from the regular hats.

Mike_Wengren_-13429.jpg

Note the right-side hats, right in your face.

OK I get all that...

But why are the hats panned to the right? :p

(I'm getting the distinct feeling the OP isn't reading any of Greg's answers for some reason)

:laughings: :laughings:

(I'm getting the distinct feeling the OP isn't reading any of Greg's answers for some reason)

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing a few posts ago. He got his answer WITH PICTURES and he's still posting like nobody figured it out for him. :rolleyes:

I wasn't ignoring gregs answers at all, sorry greg :)

You are correct with disturbed, that was just the first song I cam to which had it while flicking through my tunes.

If any of you like your metal, keep an ear out for it and you'll see what I mean.

Back