Double Boot Q

nenor said:
Well, not exactly. Windows will give you a list of operating systems that were installed from within itself. It won't give you a list of Primery Partitions to choose which one to make active and therefor boot with the appropriate OS. This is why you Have to have a boot maneger when installing multi boot OS the way I described. If a more detailed information on what I mean is needed - I'll be happy to expend.
You only need a separate boot manager if you need to hide the partition that you are not booting from. I like to do that but it isn't necessary. When you have a dual boot in XP all the partitions are active.

Stealthtech said:
No I dont understand that.
I set up my dual boot within Administrative tools. My primary OS is described as a healthy Logical boot drive and my recording OS is described as a healthy system primary partition.
Now Im no puter geek but I do know that when Im in one OS, I cannot access programs from the other OS. They seem to be completly isolated from one another.

OK. First, if your system is up and running and you get all you need from it.... no reason to change anything.
Now, Your OS that installed on a Logical drive is not on a Primary Partition (although you call it "Primary OS"). A Logical drive is part of an extended partition (this partition can be divided into several Logical drives). A Primary partition is what your bios looks for when starting up. It searches for the active primary partition (there can be only one of them active and up to 4 of them on one drive). This will be drive C. It then checks if there is an operating system on this partition. On your computer, Windows on drive C (LA OS) gives you the option to boot with another OS - the one on your Logical drive. Still - the Primary boot partition is C. Your second OS starts from within your first OS on drive C. It uses files from drive C and it cannot operate independent.
That means if something happens to your first OS and it can't be booted you cannot get to your other OS. In such a case your computer will not be able to boot ANY OS.
The multi boot system I described creates totally different and independent booting process for each OS. In this method every OS is installed on a Primary partition from the scratch. Every installation is like installing an OS for the first time on a new computer. The boot manager that asks you on startup with which OS to start actually determines which Primary partition to make active. In this way your OS will always be on drive C because the active primary partition always receives the letter "C". You have the option to hide all inactive Primary partitions and then you will not see them at all. It will be like having completely different computers.
Of course, for every OS you'll need to install all hardware/drivers/software... from the beginning.
This way if one OS crushes it doesn't have any effect on the other OS/OS's you have.

HOW TO:
This setup requires you to prepare your drive/s before installing OS's.

FROM NOW ON YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

First enter your BIOS interface (hold the "Delete" button while starting the compy) and change the booting sequence so the CD will be the first, floppy second and HD last. Don't insert any CD yet! Save and exit the BIOS.
Restart your computer in DOS (with a WIN98 emergency disk)
Now you should create (using DOS FDISK command) a Primary partition for every OS you plan to have. Remember that maximum of four can be created on every HD. The next thing to do is to format every Partition (also from DOS with the FORMAT command). Once this is done you set (also using FDISK) one Primary partition active. Now take out the Win98 emergency disk out, insert your installation CD and restart.
The CD will install OS on the active partition. For the second installation you should restart in DOS again, set another Primary partition active and continue from this point like the first time.

("Partition Magic" is a great program to manipulate partitions and can do things FDISK in DOS can't.)

I'm going to sleep now.

sync said:
You only need a separate boot manager if you need to hide the partition that you are not booting from. I like to do that but it isn't necessary. When you have a dual boot in XP all the partitions are active.

sync,
I think you are confusing between usable partitions and Active partition. There can be only ONE active partition (and it must be primary - not logical). If there were more active partitions the BIOS will not know where to look for the OS.
Read my previous post..

nenor said:
sync,
I think you are confusing between usable partitions and Active partition. There can be only ONE active partition (and it must be primary - not logical). If there were more active partitions the BIOS will not know where to look for the OS.
Read my previous post..
I meant to say "all the partitions are visible".

I install each OS into it's own partition and use Partition Magic's boot manager. But for most people, I don't think that's important.

sync said:
I meant to say "all the partitions are visible".

I install each OS into it's own partition and use Partition Magic's boot manager. But for most people, I don't think that's important.

I agree. However, when installing dual boot the traditional way (the Microsoft way that is..) you risk on loosing your second OS if your first one goes down.

Back