Double Boot Q

walkinbass

Ok, don't laugh me off the forum.... I have a really stupid question.

I'm trying to re-set up my computer. After reading the advice here on double booting, and the best way to do it, I upgraded to XP. When I installed XP, I did the "new install" and broke my HD into partitions. My intent is to have a double boot ..XP,XP. ... trying to do what I thought was best ... to use a discrete partition on my computer for my recording. And most importantly be able to tweak the OS on that partition for optimum recording performance.....

So, now my dumb question, As I said before, I went out and bought XP, installed it and have the "C" (home computer) partition set up. Now, do I have to go out and buy another copy of XP for my other (recording) partition?

When I read the license stuff on my XP, that is what it sounds like.

If I install the copy that I have now on the recording partition, am I going to have to guard the doors and post centuries.... lay awake at night worrying about Microsoft storm troopers surrounding the house? Not being able to get updates etc....?

Be gentle
;)

walkinbass said:
Ok, don't laugh me off the forum.... I have a really stupid question.

I'm trying to re-set up my computer. After reading the advice here on double booting, and the best way to do it, I upgraded to XP. When I installed XP, I did the "new install" and broke my HD into partitions. My intent is to have a double boot ..XP,XP. ... trying to do what I thought was best ... to use a discrete partition on my computer for my recording. And most importantly be able to tweak the OS on that partition for optimum recording performance.....

So, now my dumb question, As I said before, I went out and bought XP, installed it and have the "C" (home computer) partition set up. Now, do I have to go out and buy another copy of XP for my other (recording) partition?

When I read the license stuff on my XP, that is what it sounds like.

If I install the copy that I have now on the recording partition, am I going to have to guard the doors and post centuries.... lay awake at night worrying about Microsoft storm troopers surrounding the house? Not being able to get updates etc....?

Be gentle
;)

Why don't you just create 2 separate hardware profiles and user accounts?

I created a separate hardware profille I call "audio" that has all hardware not related to recording disabled. Easy to do, and works like a charm. The computer boots up faster too.

Twist

You bought the software so you can install it twice without a problem. The second boot does not see the first and the first does not see the second. if they could see each other...it wouldn't work. So basically the computer only see's 1 copy. I think by microsofts rules your allowed to install on 2 seperate PC's.
I use an office version that was designed to be installed on many computers so I dont have to worry bout that crap !!;)

Actually, I think you're technically only allowed to install it on one MACHINE, but I don't think there's any limitations on how many times you install it on that one machine. You only register it once, and any updates you get, just install them on both partitions. Believe me, with as much software piracy as MS has to contend with, they're just happy if you're not distributing your copy to all your friends. Now, if you're running a small business with 15 machines and you've only bought one copy, then that's a different story. But I don't think even Mr. Bill himself would begrudge you what you're doing.

Good luck!

1st boot and 2nd boot will see each other, unless a different file system is used. Fat can't see NT. NT can see NT. You can still load XP 2 x's . Just load it on the other partition , you can even activate both copies. The problems arise when the OS is on two machines and both on at the same time. If you loaded XP on different parts and you do not run them at the same time I believe it's OK, It's just like uninstalling from one part to another. Use the NTFS file system, to rename the parts to distinguish between them is easy enough.

BulllyHill -

I'm not sure I understand all of what you are suggesting.. Fat vs NT? I thought my choices were between Fat or NTFS or is that the same as NT?

If I have one partition useing Fat and the other NTFS ....so, I should be ok?

Thanks to all who responded.

I'm sorry,
NT is NTFS or NT File System

Well yes you will be OK, there are debates on what is better.

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

Decide for your self. I would use the NT File System. You can do this with two installs of XP as long as they are on the same machine and never running at the same time.

Well, I just finished chatting with MS... and they seem pretty convinced that I will need to buy another "Key". Other wise, updates, etc. will not be possible. Of course, the Key costs almost as much as another copy. ughhhh!

To me, it's a little like buying a convertible... some days you want to drive with the top down, some days with the top up. But the dealer seems to think you need to pay for two cars.

walkinbass said:
Well, I just finished chatting with MS... and they seem pretty convinced that I will need to buy another "Key". Other wise, updates, etc. will not be possible. Of course, the Key costs almost as much as another copy. ughhhh!

To me, it's a little like buying a convertible... some days you want to drive with the top down, some days with the top up. But the dealer seems to think you need to pay for two cars.

And I repeat - Why don't you just setup 2 Hardware Profiles and User Accounts?

Stealthtech said:
And I will also repeat...
I have a dual boot of XP, both NTFS
Works like a charm;)
Microsoft can kiss my ASS

...and you're using twice as much HD space.

What's the benefit in that?

brzilian said:
...and you're using twice as much HD space.

What's the benefit in that?

Well with a 160gig drive for app. and an 80gig drive dedicated to audio Im not losing much.
I prefer to have my recording OS free of any other programs. I disable all other hardware except my video and audio card of course. I dumped a ton of windows garbage that was not needed, I even took out all internet apps, firewall, virus scanners, etc...
And of course fully optimized and tweaked for recording.
Its basically two computers in one.
This wasn't something I just said I would do, it was a recommendation from professional Logic Audio users from the Logic forum sonikmatter.
Im not saying that everybody needs to do this... as a hardware profile may work just fine.
Now if I had to deal with the mentioned issues with microsoft and registration and all that other shit, I probably wouldn't have it setup this way.

Stealthtech, I'm with you.
I have a similer setup (2 Win2000 and one WinXP installed) and it's like having three different computers.
The only aditional advice I can give is to install each OS from scratch. Meaning - do not install second OS from within the first one. Instead do that:
Set your bios to start from your CD drive before the floppy drive. Set an empty fresh formated primery partition. Make it ACTIVE (so the computer searches the OS on it instead of your other OS), insert the OS CD and restart. This way your new OS will be installed complitly independed. YOU WILL HAVE to get a program that will give you the option (when starting up) which OS you want to load (in other words - which primery partition to make active). A great software for that is OLS2000 that cost me only $25. Look for it on the net.

nenor said:
Stealthtech, I'm with you.
I have a similer setup (2 Win2000 and one WinXP installed) and it's like having three different computers.
The only aditional advice I can give is to install each OS from scratch. Meaning - do not install second OS from within the first one. Instead do that:
Set your bios to start from your CD drive before the floppy drive. Set an empty fresh formated primery partition. Make it ACTIVE (so the computer searches the OS on it instead of your other OS), insert the OS CD and restart. This way your new OS will be installed complitly independed. YOU WILL HAVE to get a program that will give you the option (when starting up) which OS you want to load (in other words - which primery partition to make active). A great software for that is OLS2000 that cost me only $25. Look for it on the net.

Actually, you dont need software. Windows XP will do that for you. When your PC boots up it gives you the option of which OS to boot to and a 27 sec. timer to make up your mind.

Ok guys... here's the deal....

1.) In my (I'll freely admit) limited knowledge of the subject, a separate hardware profile will not do all that I want .... so it's not an option.

2.) Actually MS came close to "kissing my a__" The story goes like this:

I thought about the extra key thing, and then it occured to me... $84. How big of a deal is that... I'll make that much in a couple of sets tonight.... How big of a penny pincher am I? So I did it.... so, a phone call to MS and in five minutes I'm fixed up with an additional key.

I'd also like to mention, not too long ago I read through most of the thread on "do you really buy that expensive recording software.." And I got the impression that most of the folks that hang around this forum feel that we ought to be paying for the software we use. Then tell me, just how is this deal with MS any different? Please, no no no.... please don't start debating how its ok to stiff the giant... situational ethics is not a debate that I wish to get into.

Then, (please be aware, I am no lover of Microsoft.... I think that I can gripe long and loud about that whole affair....) After I had things installed, I ran into a big snag... being confident that I was "legal", and being tired of hunting to find solutions to every little question, and generally being frustrated about the whole deal of getting this computer set up....... well, I went to the microsoft online "chat" support.... yeah, I was on hold for a few minutes but then, I was online with a their support staff. After a few minutes of folks trying to help me get my problem straightened out, they said.... "Hmmmm, how about we call you? It might be easier to sort this out". I asked how much will that cost, the said "nada, this'll be on us"..... a minute or two later, I'm on the phone with their support person .... so for the next half hour or so, they are helping me get every thing set up on the computer the way I wanted. Now I know they probably don't do that for everyone, but I'll admit, my $84. bucks was worth that alone.

So, call me a fool for throwing away $84 bucks.... I don't much care. At least I'm getting things set up the way I want.

Stealthtech said:
Actually, you dont need software. Windows XP will do that for you. When your PC boots up it gives you the option of which OS to boot to and a 27 sec. timer to make up your mind.

Well, not exactly. Windows will give you a list of operating systems that were installed from within itself. It won't give you a list of Primery Partitions to choose which one to make active and therefor boot with the appropriate OS. This is why you Have to have a boot maneger when installing multi boot OS the way I described. If a more detailed information on what I mean is needed - I'll be happy to expend.

Stealthtech said:
And I will also repeat...
I have a dual boot of XP, both NTFS
Works like a charm;)
Microsoft can kiss my ASS

Same here, works fine for me too.

And as for your coment on not buying software when MS is concerned, This is not the case, I own my copy of xp bought and paid for. It would be wrong if I used it on two computers, at the same time, I don't. Xp on one partition and xp on another partition they can't be used at the same time and that is not a problem.

But 84 bucks for another key , yeah that is pretty cheap and I may have to do the same and upgrade my other machines.

nenor said:
Well, not exactly. Windows will give you a list of operating systems that were installed from within itself. It won't give you a list of Primery Partitions to choose which one to make active and therefor boot with the appropriate OS. This is why you Have to have a boot maneger when installing multi boot OS the way I described. If a more detailed information on what I mean is needed - I'll be happy to expend.

No I dont understand that.
I set up my dual boot within Administrative tools. My primary OS is described as a healthy Logical boot drive and my recording OS is described as a healthy system primary partition.
Now Im no puter geek but I do know that when Im in one OS, I cannot access programs from the other OS. They seem to be completly isolated from one another.

Attachments

• drives.jpg
    drives.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 48
Back