dont't know what the F i am doin

Super trendy power balance bracelets! Say that 5 times real fast...

Oh, I meant good speaking skills- I guess she can read well also though ha ha ...

I can recommend Focustite Skarlett 2i2 and Behringer B1 or Superlux HO-8 condenser Mic and build a room acoustic damper as picture

Attachments

• SAM_0342.JPG
    SAM_0342.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
basics

I am assuming you want to record voicework, NOT bands? If so, read on:

I did 30-odd years in news and music radio, and it is a differerent thing than being a recording music engineer. Think simple!

You need a decent mic, a way to get it in a PC and a simple editing program.

Mic: check pawn shops, ebay, etc. I use an Electrovoice 635A for both field recording and sometimes at home. New, around $125. Used: if lucky, $30.

There are tons of USB mics, the Blue Snowball being one, that may do for voicework. The trick is to find one that YOU sound good on!

If you buy a dynamic mic that does NOT require phantom power, check eBay for a Radio Shack XLR to USB adapter. They are crawling with them and they sell for about six bucks. Plug in the (non-powered) mic, plug the cord into a USB port and you are good to go.

Another alterative is a XLR adapter (Belkin? Logitech?) to iPod/iPad. They use batteries and WILL power studio mic. The only problem is you then need to get the file to your PC via email, Dropbox, etc. You will need some kind of "cloud" account to deliver your work.

Try to find a used copy of Adobe Auditon 1. or 1.5. It's old, but it does just enough for ANY voiceover work.

Audacity is free, and it can also do the job.

Finding a decent recording space is the last step.

Just remember the sales motto of Tony Maserati. "If it sounds right, it IS right." Have fun!

One more thought: I also used XLR mic(s) plugged into either a Tascam or Marantz recorder. No USB (if that is a concern) and NO FAN NOISE from the laptop, etc.

Been making a living these ways for years and still am doing it.

Last edited:
i appreciate all the good tips
i need to decide on a good interface, non usb mic,a pop filter for sure!
i use audacity
as for where to record-i don't really have much choice it is very noisy where i live!

i would love to get an actual radio job again or figure out how to get an agent for voice overs or do freelance news.

i appreciate all the good tips
i need to decide on a good interface, non usb mic,a pop filter for sure!
i use audacity
as for where to record-i don't really have much choice it is very noisy where i live!

i would love to get an actual radio job again or figure out how to get an agent for voice overs or do freelance news.

What is the nature of the local noise? If it is mostly traffic rumble for instance you can remove a lot of that with EQ/filters. Transient noises off, car horn, dogs (pigeons are starting to feel their oats around me!) have to be dealt with by editedtitedit and re-dos.

We most of us are limited in what we can do by the circumstances we find ourselves in. It is an annoying fact perhaps that the HARDWARE can be got today for a few 100 $$s that would shame anything Abbey Road had in the 70's! But the PLACE is where the cost was (not to mention brilliant recording engineers!).

People who want VOs done will be paying professional fees for the work and that demands professional sound quality and THAT means professionally quiet rooms!

Dave.

Nothing more frustrating than hitting that perfect performance and then hearing a child screaming in the background when you listen back...Or the air con comes on...:(

Or the time (last year) when I hear this thump... thump...thump in myheadphones, right after doing a vocal track and preparing to do another. Kid outside dribbling a basketball on the street. :rolleyes:

I"m fortunate to live at the end of a cul-de-sac and bought myself 5 acres of woods behind the place. It's pretty ideal, but we ARE in NC where the AC is almost always running in the summer. Tough to get that out of the mix. I've learned to plan ahead and get the house down around 68 before recording and then shut it off. Gives me about 2 hours before the house hits the high 70s and I have to kick it back in. Later in the summer, when it's 85% humidity and 98 degrees, maybe 30 minutes.

I"m fortunate to live at the end of a cul-de-sac and bought myself 5 acres of woods behind the place. It's pretty ideal, but we ARE in NC where the AC is almost always running in the summer. Tough to get that out of the mix. I've learned to plan ahead and get the house down around 68 before recording and then shut it off. Gives me about 2 hours before the house hits the high 70s and I have to kick it back in. Later in the summer, when it's 85% humidity and 98 degrees, maybe 30 minutes.

Even up here we get the same problem, I don't have whole-house A/C, but the big in-window unit for downstairs is in one of the windows in my music room. :facepalm: 45 minutes and I'm cooking!

Did anyone else notice the ugly toilet seat cover duct taped to the shock mount? :eek: or was it just me?

I couldn't figure out what it was, but you're right - an UGLY toilet seat cover! Wonder if it was second-hand? :eek:

Back