dont't know what the F i am doin

snowwhitetan

i use to do radio a couple years ago;so i don't really have much experience with producing/recording or engineering.
i had an opportunity to do some news reports on my pc and voice overs.
i took and entire day reading up on everything mics, software, settings bought a really good mica usb condenser mic-the recording sounded as bad as my three dollar mic i started off with.

i don't have the money to build a studio at the moment. i will invest in a mic what ever mic is best used as a usb mic that connects to my pc. besides that i have windows 7 and audacity.

wanted to find out if it would be possible for me to make a professional quality recording with the tools i just mentioned?

thanks so much

The sound card in your computer/USB mic is what sounds like crap. Read the sticky on audio interfaces. They function as an external soundcard for your computer and sound professional. And you will plug a real mic into it.

thanks for the reply
so this external card would be like to go between or bridge-the usb mic would only be connected to the external cardwich would than go through the usb port?

There is a trend for decent mic manufacturers to produce USB mics for pod casters. The quality of their good mic fed internally to pennies worth of electronics. The limiting factor is this mega simple interface. In a proper, external preamp the conversion from analogue to digital
The big problem is simply matching the gain. An external device can cope with quiet or loud sounds and close and distant subject to mic distances. USB type are optimised to one setting and you have to find it, and it may simply not be right for you. Thin sound or really bassy sound is the usual result. I really cannot understand anyone who buys a USB mic. They're the audio equivalent of using a magnifying glass rather than seeing a proper optician for prescription glasses. A modest external device, and for emergencies I have a cheapish Lexicon, plugged into any computer is best. Forget the input sockets on computers, they're just not up to it. Fine for gaming or such low res audio jobs but again, cost means your mega expensive computer spent pocket money on sound input quality. The masses don't need it.

Maybe we should start a campaign to ban USB mics!

To sum up what has been said, look at getting a good interface, Focusrite, Presonus, Zoom tend to be the favorite. They all have Phantom Power, XLR plug in. This would be your recording and monitoring interface. Then go find a good mic, try some out to get the sound you want. If this is really something you want to do, you are looking at an investment of not more than $400. Less if you look for sales and you watch where you purchase your mic.

This...
AKG Perception 120 USB

Gets as good a rep as I have seen for any USB mic and is, AFAIK the only 24 bit version of the mark?

How!soever!! I am with the rest of the boys. You would do FAR better to sell up and buy a decent Audio interface. The Focusrite 2i2 is often not my first recc' but to be fair it should suit you nicely sir! Another is the Steinberg UR22 which is at least as good and you might find it a bit cheaper.

For a microphone look for one with a built in "high pass filter" This will remove much of the "boom" caused by close micc'ing* and cut much room and traffic "rumble" . You MUST use a "pop filter". These can be fabricated with a wire coat hanger and tights but there is now a very effective foam device, bit pricey but does not cut any HF. I believe it is distributed by Rycote Windshields?

Audacity is ok'ish but I would suggest you at least have look at Reaper?
You will be doing a lot of editing! No matter how quiet you get the room you WILL fluff and there will always be noises off.

What will be the final playback system for the VOs? I do not see the point in this case for super studio monitors, some decent headphones will serve but if the recordings will go out on TV say, good to dump them to a USB stick since most modern TVs can play those. If not, many laptops have an HDMI port or you could just get a Tescos £99.95 tellie and use it as a monitor and plug into the sound input (might need a bit of creative "scarting"!)

*Ooops! Forgot! Close micc'ing because you will need to keep the room sound out of the recording. In fact look up the use of duvets for this very purpose. Also Google "Reflection Filter" Spend never ends in this game!

Dave.

i took and entire day reading up on everything

An entire day, huh? You should be telling us about it!

Close micc'ing because you will need to keep the room sound out of the recording. In fact look up the use of duvets for this very purpose. Also Google "Reflection Filter" Spend never ends in this game!

Massive +1. No matter what mic you buy the room is going to have a huge impact on your sound.
Broadcasts are traditionally very dry sounding so stay as close as you can to the mic or get some treatment, or both.

So you need:
1) Non-USB mic... Shure SM58 (watch the bass up close), AKG D5, or similar whatever sounds good with your voice- about $100 US. I guess the Shure is more of a live mic- any other suggestions for studio?
2) Audio interface 2 channels ... Steinburg UR 22, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or similar... about $150 US
3) Pop filter ... $10 or steal your wifes hose...
4) Blankets hang them up all around... or read the sound treatment threads for better methods.
5) Hook it all up to your computer.
6) Read for months.... seriously I'm on month 4 and just now learning enough to comment...
7) DAW software ... Audacity, Reaper, Cubase there are lots - I like Reaper

edit: +1 for Reaper, took the sting out of the learning curve for the DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) for OP

SM58, AKG etc?
THE top rated dynamic mic for "broadcast" use is arguably the SM 7b? But all dynamics have a low sensitivity and the 7 is the lowest of them all AFAIK. The pre amps in both the 2i2 and the UR22 are reckoned to have enough gain with low enough noise but I have never had the opportunity to try either and it might be that for speech work the noise performance is marginal. In any case we don't know the level of the OP's voice!

Not only will a capacitor give up to 20dB more level it is also a far brighter sound, more "modern" I always think.

Going back to USB mics. I am sure, if you pick the right model, the sound going in can be very acceptable but what about coming back?

I mentioned editing. This will surely require a good, low noise D/A converter and a decent headphone amplifier as found in the AIs already mentioned!

Dave.

Here are some more of my crappy recordings- three mics but I tried to get the levels all the same- It really points out how much you need your room treated!!! My small untreated room sounds like REVERB central!!! The Samson held up pretty well and I really dont like the AT picks up all the untreated room noise and my computer fan... I like the Shure the best with the Samson second.

Mic 1 samson meteor USB
Mic 2- Audio Technica 2035 condenser witgh scarlett 2i2 interface
Mic 3- Shure SM 58 with Scarlett 2i2 interface

Attachments

• samson3.mp3
    431.8 KB · Views: 5
  • shure3.mp3
    431.8 KB · Views: 3
  • AT3.mp3
    431.8 KB · Views: 3
I didnt think my room sounded THAT bad and I always though you all harped on room treatment too much.... Now I am depressed... Where is that thread on acoustic treatment ... sigh...

The Samson is tricky to not overload... I'm about 8-12 inches away.

You know about the echo... I don't have any effect on it... I think it is because I am running a "loop" from the mixer to the audio interface right back into the mixer so I can do live streaming karaoke. I should retry this without that loop hooked up... I usually don't pay attention to it but in this case it might make a difference.

I didnt think my room sounded THAT bad and I always though you all harped on room treatment too much.... Now I am depressed... Where is that thread on acoustic treatment ... sigh...

Heh. Sorry about that dude.
I have a clip somewhere with and without acoustic panels. I'll PM it to you. :)

The Samson is tricky to not overload... I'm about 8-12 inches away.

You know about the echo... I don't have any effect on it... I think it is because I am running a "loop" from the mixer to the audio interface right back into the mixer so I can do live streaming karaoke. I should retry this without that loop hooked up... I usually don't pay attention to it but in this case it might make a difference.

Hmmm. Maybe that's it.

Forgive me my noobness on how bad the loop effect is... I removed the mixer loop- listened to the difference and it is extremely noticeable. Now the interface plus mic sounds way better than the USB Samson. I still hear my room non-treatment in there but the loop was adding echo also. Re-recorded without the loop. Once again- thanks for your patience and thanks for helping me to learn this mess too. Funny the loop made the USB sound better- Now it is weak and distant. All were recorded and normalized to the same level. Now I like the AT. I will go hide in shame now.

Attachments

• Shure4.mp3
    378.8 KB · Views: 8
  • AT4.mp3
    378.8 KB · Views: 4
  • samson4.mp3
    378.8 KB · Views: 4
Back