Does Crawdad Know Yet?

chrisharris

King of Bling
:D

Okay, this is a tune that Crawdad wrote. I liked the song immediately, but he thought it wasn't finished.

Long story short, he kinda' let me "have my way" with it, and we're in the process of writing it via email. :D

www.nowhereradio.com/honestmango/singles
"JULIET"

I put up version last night for some "slide guitar" help. I got some, I think. Anyway, I deleted the thread b/c I had to resing it with some revised lyric ideas from Al. I resang it, and now the whole recording just sucks ass, lol.

I'm hearing weirdness everywhere now, which makes me think that I've just listened too much.

Thanks to Al ("crawdad") for letting me do this, and thanks to those who responded earlier. You're exempt now, lol...

Anyway, mix comments are needed, and song comments are appreciated. Thanks if you have time.

-chris

Vocal sounds fine, although a bit dry.

The mix in general lacks body, and is also a bit dry for this type of song. The acoustics are too clicky, and the slide too buzzy. The bassline needs to be a bit more up front.

Keep in mind that nothing I've mentioned is glaring, so be subtle with any tweaks I've suggested.;)

Thanks man. The vocal sounds hotter than hell to me, lol. I can DEFINITELY add verb. Maybe they'll sit better.

I also pulled a TON of low end out of the mix, which may go back in immediately, lmao. I get paranoid about the car speaker test.

It all sounds like ass to me now...so I appreciate the listen...very much.

Damn get to a real studio...kid:D I can call you that:) . Put some more LOW END back in:D I think:D . What mic you using on voc's? Harmonies are so great as usual from you. Damn fine song, would love to see you perform live..while i still am:) Thanks..

p.s. crawdad rocks! ;)

Thanks for the starz Mr. Dave. I'd rather have a recording that didn't totally piss me off right now, but stars are always cool. :D :D :D

BTW - I'm pretty sure Crawdad is going to record this (flawlessly), but I was thinking about using it on my next homemade release of crap, and I haven't posted anything in the clinic in probably 2 days (lmao :D), so that's why it's here right now.

I thought I might take a different (and much more lazy approach from here out. I hit "mixdown," and then I hit "normalize," and that's it. No compression, no EQ...basically, no "mastering" at all. From past experience, this mix should have enough low end, but it should also be muddy and loose and generally objectionable.

Anyway, thanks again to anyone who can fix it. I need to just leave this alone for awhile, lol.

first listen on big sony heaphones outta my computer soundcard.

acoustic is a bit left heavy on the headphones.
vocal is a little hot, until the backups come in. actually i think maybe all of the vocals are just a little hot.

those backups have a very nice very wide stereo effect to them and somehow fill out the bottom. did you eq them different than the main vocal?

wait a second, isn't juliet crawdad's daughter. is crawdad your stepdad?

'song in the process of being destroyed' lol. you really should learn some humility chris.

gonna go listen on the monitors and i'll be back.

erichenryus said:
those backups have a very nice very wide stereo effect to them and somehow fill out the bottom. did you eq them different than the main vocal?
First...crawdad and I are not related, and I'm shocked that you would insult him that way.

BTW - I'm pretty sure you got the first version instead of the brand spanking new "ass" version...(the name of the mp3 actually has the word "ass" in it, lol).

'bout those backups...here's some honesty for you. I panned 'em about 3 and 9 o'clock originally, and then I actually hit the wrong button on the channel mixer at some point (it was called "inverted average")...I would think this would just swap them (but no, that's what the "swap" button does)...I have no idea what it actually did to them, but they got bigger and more centered, yet wider at the same time...I dunno'. It was a fuckup that I kind of liked at the time.

Anyway, I anxiously await your monitor review of the "ass" mix. :D :D

Thank you, sir.

chrisharris said:

BTW - I'm pretty sure you got the first version instead of the brand spanking new "ass" version...(the name of the mp3 actually has the word "ass" in it, lol).

no, i got your ass right here. i'll be back, the walk to my monitors is a long one cause .......it is..........

ok, i'm back. god damn it sounds much different on my monitors, that sound card really sucks!

Lot's of bottom end on this. I like the kick drum. Maybe just a tad too much on the ultra low end.

Vocals still just a tad too hot. Yep, they're too hot. Lower them just a bit please. Backups still sound cool, whatever it is you did to them.

Shit, I'm never listening on that sound card again. Sorry to everyone who I commented on mixes from that point.

Oh, I like the relative dryness of the vocals. Go lower them and repost real quick and I'll listen again. But my kid and all his cousins are about to invade the house so you have about ten minutes.

Ok I really do not like the meandering lead tone and some of what is being played. I like the idea but the sound used is really a mess to my ears.

Nice production-wise though, sounds like you've done the tune justice.

jake-owa said:
Ok I really do not like the meandering lead tone and some of what is being played. I like the idea but the sound used is really a mess to my ears.
I was just so excited to be playing something that didn't require me to hold a pick, lol.

Maybe I'll turn it down in the mix...a lot.

OK....this has your usual cool vocals and harmonies but the mix is....is...I don't know, it sounds like there is so much going on it just jumbles up.......maybe too much energy in the mid-range?
Nice arrangement of Al's tune.....which parts did you add to 'finish' it?

Smooth song! Guitars sound really nice. Little bare maybe..

Could use a bit more bass presence I think.

Not sure if I like the harmonies panned so hard. Maybe they should just group up in a small area a little bit to one side of the lead on the stage.

Really nice song! Some good chord changes in there too for spice.

Lt. Bob said:
which parts did you add to 'finish' it?
'Finish' it, I like that. I just mangled the words some and threw some 7th's and stuff in.

Crawdad's first version is on his page, if you wanna' hear the evolution up to this point. I'm seriously considering ditching the slide at this point. It's just so bare bones without it, I dunno'...I'm gonna' do another mix w/o it and see.

Sluice - I've gone from hating drums to hating bass...not bass, really, but MY bass. I may track this with an acoustic bass instead and ditch the slide...I don't know. Thanks for the song comments, btw. I tend to focus on the negative...NOT LIKE ANYBODY ELSE AROUND HERE, RIGHT?!?!? :D

chrisharris said:
Thanks for the starz Mr. Dave. I'd rather have a recording that didn't totally piss me off right now, but stars are always cool. :D :D :D

BTW - I'm pretty sure Crawdad is going to record this (flawlessly), but I was thinking about using it on my next homemade release of crap, and I haven't posted anything in the clinic in probably 2 days (lmao :D), so that's why it's here right now.

I thought I might take a different (and much more lazy approach from here out. I hit "mixdown," and then I hit "normalize," and that's it. No compression, no EQ...basically, no "mastering" at all. From past experience, this mix should have enough low end, but it should also be muddy and loose and generally objectionable.

Anyway, thanks again to anyone who can fix it. I need to just leave this alone for awhile, lol.

ok, but like i said WHAT MIC are you using?:) And..one more thing, not that the "slide" wasn't all that....but crawdady play's a muchOmean slide, it would really make this. Ok, dats all:D

freshears said:
ok, but like i said WHAT MIC are you using?:)
Sorry, man... I've temporarily loaned out all my mics to a friend of mine for a little project that was supposed to take a week. That was about 2 months ago, so I'm down to using exactly one Shure SM58. It's a pretty rare mic, really...I doubt you've heard of it. I think it's made in Iceland, lmao.

However, I got a new Antares toy recently that may be affecting the sound of the mic. It's a "mic modeler," you know...like a simamp for a mic, I guess. You just tell the program what mic you're using, how far away you are from it, and a couple of other variables, and then select the mic you WANT it to sound like.

Now, don't laugh...but I figured, why skimp, eh? I went with the Neumann U87 ("Gold"), with the low cut filter on, about 8 inches away. I recently got to actually sing through a real U-87, and I can state with absolute certainty that this vocal track sounds more like a 58 than a Neumann, but that little plugin has a ton of variables, like tube warmth parameters...so you really can get some cool sounds out of it. I haven't yet, but I will. It's a glorified VERY fance mic EQ, basically.

It's cool that you asked, actually...I'm kinda' hating everything about this recording right about now. :D :D

i like the super compressed sounding acoustic..........i'm not crazy about the slide tone....sounds a little d.i. amp simish....i don't know if it was recorded that way, but the tone sounds kinda like it.......

i love 90% of the vocals.....there a couple sections where it sounded like the vocal was recorded like 10 takes later and the tone has changed quite a bit.....one of those places that sounded like that to me was at 1:04....the "i had a decade" part....i won't start to give vocal recording tips though, because as you know, i blow at recording vocals

i think the bass sounds good......same with the drums

good song

I got a new Antares toy

I knew that wasn't the C/H vocals i've been hearing in the past. Quit being lazy, and mix this sumbitch!:D , hey the recording does sound good but I know you'll get it flawless like you alway's do. Okay, so what MIC have you been using in the past? Like you haven't answered that a zillion times lol!!

powderfinger said:
one of those places that sounded like that to me was at 1:04....the "i had a decade" part....
Damn, man...good ears. I resang the whole tune about 3 times today and pasted it together, but I couldn't ever get that part to sound like it did on the original vocal...which I sorta' liked, so it's a paste from an earlier take (like, days ago)...I never take notes on what I do to a vocal track...I really should, b/c then maybe I'd be able to just punch in lines instead of reinventing the wheel when I need to add 3 words, lol.

And yeah, the slide tone doesn't have a lot of tube warmth to it, lmao...I'm working on that now. I'm gonna' run it through the old Mic Modeler...I'm thinking about maybe a Lawson L-47. Thanks, Drew.

So which version is the one I just heard?

Nice full production. Great vox and geetars.
I posess NO knowledge to help you at all. If you rerererereredo somethin' with this please post it so I can jump back in and take up space with a meaningless post :cool:

Joel

Back