Does Crawdad Know Yet?

the problem with this mix is none of the instruments show any real dynamic range. The difference between the loudest and softest is minimum...and the levels between the instruments are off balance too. The tone on the instruments (mind the bass gtr..and maybe the slide) IS VERY NICE...but lacks in the PUNCH department. Another way I might describe this is the way instruments sound when you bounced them a lot in the analog days.....minus the hiss buildup. Things got "smoother"...or less punchy...and moved to the back (stage) of the mix. The dynamic range decreased, etc. Kinda like running a mix thru a compressor several times, with a setting like a 4:1 ratio... It just "mushes out".

mixmkr said:
the problem with this mix is none of the instruments show any real dynamic range.
Agreed. I've noticed this in all my mixes, and there's a pretty simple answer...I over compress the shit out of my acoustics and my vocals. I'm talking RIDICULOUS amounts of compression...like 12:1 @ -18, lmao. I also use release times that are about a week and a half too long.

As far as the levels being off, that's something that I hadn't noticed on this one. It's basically 2 acoustics and a bass, then vocals and a drum loop. Any more specifics on which ones are sticking out (ahem...vocal? :D) would be cool.

thanks mix.

Jag - Yeah, I recorded the second round of vocals after the bass, and I forgot to turn the low cut filter back on. It's pretty easy to fix, though...thanks.

boydrj - thanks for listening...it's not your bag, I know. As for the drums, I was getting a lot of "hot snare" comments when I first posted this, and I don't have individual tracks, so I tried to fix it with EQ over the entire drum track, and it killed a lot more than I'd intended, I think. When I solo the bass and drums together, the drums seem low...so you're right...But when I get them to sound good together, that snare just slaps you right in the face. This, I don't know how to fix.

Yup...the drums are better than the first one man....
I need to learn how to do this looping stuff....
The bass is clear and strong....nice...
Acoustic guit is sweet...nice and warm...
you doubled on the slide??...hmmmmmm...
the original slide track seems a bit too far back in the mix at 2:00 thru 2:09...then the doubled track comes in just right in the mix...but they aint even...ya know?...Am I soft in the head or what??

Vox.....sounds like a family of alley cats got run over by a Mack Truck..................

well....not really :D sounds really good counselor....Harmonies are dead on...very cool....

OK...I'll stop now....no really,....I will stop.....beleive me...I know when it's time to stop and the time to stop is now......OK....stopping now :D

OK...I stopped :D
Joe

Hey Joro......stop ok?
Just stop.:D

Joro.....the fox so cunning and free........
Joro....he makes the sign of the J....no wait; that's not right.......

Chris - I'm at work so I don't have the luxury of reading through this entire thread. I apologize if I'm repeating anything you've already heard.

My first impression is that the mix doesn't sound as full as your stuff of the past. Needs a little more bass? It could by my sound card.

Additionally, I'd prefer to hear the drums come up in the mix. I always like how you apply healthy doses of compression on vocals. That's the case here as well, so it seems the drums could come up without bothering anything else.

Finally, the distorted slide during the intro seems to clash with the acoustics. Elsewhere it sounded fine. Go figure?

Your vocals are great (as usual).

I'm hearing some spots for mandolin (?).

This song definitely falls right into your sweet spot. I'd love to hear you go 180 degrees in the other direction. Maybe some thrash/punk for fun.

BPOCO

bpoco said:
I'd love to hear you go 180 degrees in the other direction.

Lol...funny you should mention that, hehehee... check out about 2 posts below this...heheheee...

I hear you on the rhythm section of this one...but not to fear; Crawdad's sending me some slide and maybe electric in the not too distant future, so I'm gonna' take another shot at a remix when he does...I'll bring the drums up...and the controversial "electric chris slide" will be gone forever, lol.

I really appreciate the listen, btw.

Hey Chris,
...sorry so late man...buried at work:( . Yeah, this is a great song fer sure. Your version has a J.Taylor vibe that is nice. In the nit dept., It sounds like you got the compressor good and warmed up on this one:D ...particularly the acoustics. The bass sounds pretty washed out in this one........amidst a murky puddle o' mud in there:D ...If there's a way to punch it up, I think the rhythm in this will improve dramatically. How did you record the bass on this one...(Im hoping im not being redundant.Im gonna read back..) Your vocs are, as usual, golden. ...I love your voice man.

.....very nice work Chris...... Mike

Guernica said:
How did you record the bass on this one...(Im hoping im not being redundant.Im gonna read back..)
It's a DI'd "Bronco" bass, lmao. Ran it through the DMP3 first, but that's it. Post, I did some normal, run of the mill compression, but then I kept getting comments about how it was dropping in and out (which it was), so I tried something different and ran it through a limiter just maxed out, lol. It literally looks like a brick on the Screen.

The biggest problem, I've decided, is with the actual bass itself. I turn it all up as "trebly" as possible, and cut the lows, and boost the mids, and it still just washes out totally. It's low end, but it's not adding anything. I made an executive decision pretty early on, though...the best bass comments I've ever gotten have been when I recorded a bass line with just a very boomy acoustic guitar. It sounds like a Fender Jazz Bass, lol. I didn't use it on this, b/c I recorded it really late one night, so the DI route was preferred, but when I get Crawdad's tracks back, I'm gonna' track it with the acoustic. HEY, WHATEVER WORKS, RIGHT?

The reason I think it's the bass is because I've played my bass player's instrument during the last couple of soundchecks, and the difference in tone is just mindblowing...to the point of being depressing... so I'm gonna' try to fix it...

And don't ever apologize to me, brother...I swear, you've listened to every freaking song I've ever posted in here...I actually owe you money.

chrisharris said:
It's a DI'd "Bronco" bass, lmao

The reason I think it's the bass is because I've played my bass player's instrument during the last couple of soundchecks, and the difference in tone is just mindblowing...to the point of being depressing... so I'm gonna' try to fix it...

....yeah, thats your answer man. Youve mixed my bass and know about the sub lows and woofiness that my axe gets. Its got 1/4 pounders on it that are like the hottest passive p/u's you can get......great for live performances (paired w/ my ole Trace Elliott rig), but not great for recording. Im gonna change those out soon....

.....the point-:D Instrument=90% ......everything else you try to do to make it sound good afterwards=10% ....get rid of that short scale and buy yourself a big gun:)

Guernica said:
.... ....get rid of that short scale and buy yourself a big gun:)
Man......that's the truth.
Nothing sounds worse than a short scale bass.
I used to have a Les Paul Recording bass and although I should have kept it since it was serial number 00001, it was the crappiest sounding thing you ever heard.

You DILLHOLE!

I didn't say I didn't like the electric guitar I just wanted to hear a different sound. The tone was furry and unfocused it was throwing the mix off. Now get back there and go for a different slide sound. That slide is way too weak to be peaking out from around the corner. Don't fade it, change the sound and add it loud.

When are you going to get this right?

Heh, sounds good otherwise though.

I think it sounds great, who cares about the bass sound in a musical styles like this? It's about the lyrics, right? Vocals, guitar, some muddy bass and it sound mighty fine to me (no sarcasm intended, it sounds really good in my ears)

Ditch the autotuner, and I might call myself a fan.... :)

lol...a few posts up, I mentioned that I'm waiting on some slide and electric git tracks from Crawdad.

Yeah, I think I'll just wait for that, lmao. I know my strengths are few, but one of them is knowing when to let other people take the fuck over. :D

Back