Does analog move more air. . . ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fact: there are people who can differenciate between the two in blind tests.

Are you suggesting that people can reliably (ie not randomly) determine a difference in controlled testing between a AD/DA bridge and a level-matched straight wire?

Be great if you could post some evidence - journal articles or web links to controlled tests, etc?

Paul

But I just have to say, I am amazed that this A vs. D war still rages so ridiculously. It's like politics, but it's even more ridiculous than that because you're not really affected at all by the choice of others.
this is home recording, and people get enraged at other people's claims that analog or digital sounds better. Not only are you never going to change someone's mind, but it doesn't matter in the least!

If you don't like analog, don't use it!
If you don't like digital, don't use it!

Why can't it be as simple as that?

Somebody say something stupid!
I think part of the reason this particular subject stirs such heat is because many perceive the dismissal of one particular medium as an attack on those using it. So, for example, by continually reiterating that "analog is/sounds better", many analoggers come across as saying, in effect, to anyone not using analog recorders "You are recording on an inferior medium which never sounds as good" which in turn leads to conclusions about what what the digitizer is recording. That may not be intention, but it's how some people come across. The OP did not come across that way but some in this thread certainly have.
Digitizers on the other hand will sometimes intimate that digital is so much more convenient and up to date and quicker, more accurate and carries so much more scope with the almost unsaid "ergo" that the music produced is better than what those old dinosaurs are coming up with..........
So both sides can be as bad as each other. Taking digs and potshots but wrapped up in language that for me at least, tries to validate the individual's choices.
Like Lt Bob, I've found some of the info really interesting and being a major sidetracker myself, I generally enjoy these threads that go off in unforeseen directions. But despite all the talk of accuracy, conversions, air, transmission loss, candles, resonating drum heads, high frequency, low frequencies and whatever else, my conclusion is that I just don't care. I really don't give a flashing Berber in the desert at night whether and how something is analogged or digitalized. I dig both and when I hear a song, my only concern is the song. I'm interested in peoples' workflow and processes, not their assertions of the superiority of their chosen medium. Having been immersed in both mediums, it's really rather much of a muchness. It's just a wow for me that as human beings, we've worked out ways to record ourselves and listen back to the stuff at our leisure.
We couldn't do that 150 years ago.

Pancakes taste better than waffles. Why? Because waffles have holes. These holes minimize the surface area of food I feel on my tongue, thus resulting in less taste! :D

Yeah, but those holes are what hold the yummy syrup! Dood, you really have no clue! lol! :D

Over saturating does not mean warm! My lord, can't we just toast our grains analog, and forget about the bacon?!? Wait, I love bacon. :)

Over saturating does not mean warm! My lord, can't we just toast our grains analog, and forget about the bacon?!? Wait, I love bacon. :)

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy....... :facepalm:

First off, there is just this presence you get from pancakes that you don't get from waffles, you know? Like if I look at a stack of pancakes. That's magical. Waffles are just. Well, waffles....

Second off, waffles have holes! THEY HAVE HOLES JIMMY! HOLES!!!!

I see your whole holes thing man, but come on, pancakes? Cakes were never meant to be panned. Dead center, maybe with some fruit or frosting. Lord, where is Chuck Barris when we need a hook?

All I know is that I like peanut butter on my Waffles..and my Pancakes. Does that make me a flat-as-a-pancake-waffle-headed-idjit-full-of-syrupy-moving-air?

:eek::spank::D

I am actually craving pancakes now. I guess I was wrong this whole time. Combine that bouquet of bacon roses, pancakes, waffles, syrup, and well, I snuck in a green chile and bean burrito this morning, I'm pretty damn sure my analog ass is going to move a large amount of air. I will however record it digitally, because I want the most accurate reproduction possible without the smell. Oh man, we haven't even discussed the smell of audio. Here we go.............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back