Do you write or study poetry?

terocious said:
In my opinion songwriting and poetry crossover and share the same room. ... . Presently my work takes a lot of poetic license and is written to be sung a cappella. ... . studioviols suggested that a lyricist is closer to a poet than a songwriter. I assume because a songwriter artfully has the well being of the whole song in mind rather than a lyricist whose central focus is the words. ... . I think that songs are storytelling and it is up to you whether you want to tell the story in a straight forward or poetic manner.

Yes, they share the same room, while some beatnik is frothing at the mouth in poetic splendor, there is a punk across the room busily writing a song with the beatnik's lyrics that they will both claim is their own ! :D Maybe they should start a band huh ? Doors will always open that way.

In the MP3 Clinic there is quite a faddish challenge reaching a peak of posting A Capella mixes, we would be very excited to either hear some of your A Capella mixes or have them submitted to the MP3 Clinic participants for collaborations.

Your comments about the closeness of poet to lyricist give me now pause for reflection. I believe that if a poet is writing prose with a melody in mind to sing those words with, that is songwriting. However, I have taken one of James Kavanaugh's poems and made quite a good song from it, and I'm assuming, probably wrongfully, that he had no melody in mind for a single word of it. Now some lyricists do have a melody in mind as they write the prose, and that distinguishes them from a 'pure poet' ... and perhaps we should call them a 'librettist'. It is generally accepted that most of the writers of opera are also fine 'librettist'. chicken and egg thing I think ... And that might even draw a 'lyricist', (someone who is mostly intent on forming and creating prose that will be sung), that might draw a lyricst more firmly through the 'songwriter door'. And as in all types of art there are grey areas where we really don't know what color 'that' is ... Yes, songs are storytelling, and I think you aptly describe 'the liscensure of songwriting'.

studioviols said:

In the MP3 Clinic there is quite a faddish challenge reaching a peak of posting A Capella mixes, we would be very excited to either hear some of your A Capella mixes or have them submitted to the MP3 Clinic participants for collaborations.

I caught the beginning of this with SLuiCe’s “Briar and the Rose” Cover which I really liked. Fantastic harmonies. To be honest with you studioviols I would feel better about posting in the clinic at a time when I felt my own mixes were a little better and I had a some more knowledge under my belt so I could bring more to that environment then just songs and expectations. Right now I see the clinic as a great place for me to keep my mouth shut and learn from the experience of others. If you are still interested in hearing the current state of my art the www button will take you to my website.

Now as far as the Beatnik and the Punk go I wish they would start a band together. Those two have been eyeing each other from across the room for decades.:D :D :D But seriously I think it is true about the doors opening. You can walk in a grey door a song writer and come out a blue one acting your fool head off or You agree to dance because they need a body and now you find out you have a terrific arch or maybe You are the one punk who will gives that beatnik guy the time of day...

The way I see it is that poetry is a stand alone art. What it says lends feelings and emotions to the reader.

Songwriting is dealing with other conciderations.
Music being the main one. The contraste or cohesion between the lyrics and the music make the song.

I find it most difficult to put a tune to poetry.

Back