Distortion plug-ins? Also...

PRiZ-one

First... can anyone recommend soem plug-ins that can distort sounds, especially in a more rugged style.

Second if you know of any plug-ins that can manipulate sounds well, please tell.

Thanks, take care.

What sounds do you want to distort? If guitars is the answer then I find that cakewalk´s amp simulator is allright for a variety of guitarsounds including some ok-sounding distortion.

Hmm...

I don't have anyhting in perticular to distort, I was plannin to experiment with everyhting from voices to ambience to organs etc and see what I can do with it.

That's a good question. I don't think there is such a thing as a "good" distortion in the form of a plugin. That's just one of those things you have to do outside of the computer domain in order to get it right. I'm open to suggestions, though.

I was thinking something similar to what they have on some sample/sequencing machines... they have a distortion feature that just sorta makes the sound rougher, grittier, distorted in a less smooth way, but it's called distortion.

Ther must be something that can do this. I'll look around I guess, thanks.

I've put piano's and Voices through ReValver, and voices through Cake's Amp Sim (Both of which came with Sonar.) Revalver gets fairly gritty.

Sometimes it works out well.

-Jett

If you have Buzz or FruityLoops, there are a lot of Buzz effects that are distortions. Most of these operate on the "lofi" principle where they reduce the bit depth or sample length of your sound until it's nasty. So you can take your vocal and reduce it from 44.1k/16 bit, to 11.025k/4-bit. Some of them work in other ways too. There are probably 60 distortion effects people have designed for Buzz. If you want digital distortion (not amp-type distortion) it can't be beat...

This is not the "tube overdrive/distortion" sound that guitarists crave, it's digital, like Nine Inch Nails or Skinny Puppy or something.

Anyway, Buzz and Buzz effects and machines are free. FruityLoops costs $99, and you can use most Buzz effects in it.

WERD!

I don't want fruity Loops.
Can I get Buzz separate, this sounds like what I want.
Who's it made by so I can track it down?

How do most of you bring down the bit rate ayways?
Is tehre acertain way to do it, I can change my kbps from 320 to 128 etc... Is that what you mean. Or is there a program I should cop to get my stuff sounding gritty.

Thanks.

No, what I'm talking about is plugins that actually reduce the resolution of one audio channel. When you talk about 320kbps and 128 kbps you're talking about MP3 bit rates. Normal audio is at a much higher resolution.

You might check out www.buzzmachines.com. I was just looking and I saw VST and VSTi adapters there. These will let you use free Buzz effects in any VST compatible app. I don't know what you use, and I'm not sure if you exactly know what you want yet either, but this might be a step in the right direction. If you need more help. I can help you out some, but it would help to know what kind of software you're using...

<edited>
sorry, just checked it out, and the vst adapters are to use VST plugins in Buzz, not the other way around. Sorry to tangentize this topic, I think these plugins are really useful, and it's cool that they're free, but you can't use them without fruityloops or buzz, so theylre probably of no use to you.
</edited>

Last edited:
thanks anyway.

I use plug-ins, anything that will work in something like soundforge/wavlabs etc, will work for me. Driect X or VST ect.

The next factor relative... Lo-Fi?

plug-ins for lo-fi techniques...??? any out there???

Also...

How do you lower the bit rate etc, if 320 128 kbps isn't this.
AI work in wav format. How do I make soemthing like my drums, usually most explain this as lo-fi. Making it more gritty/rugged etc.
I'd also like to try this with sounds like horns etc to get them souding ruff and not so sharp etc, na mean?

mayby I already have the tools, and I don't know.
How you do this might help.

Thanks. :)

Seriously dude, get FruityLoops. $99. If you download the demo you can use it for up to 8 channels for free, and export audio and everything. There are no better lo-fi plugins than the Buzz effects. There are a lot of decent amp-type plugins for DirectX or VST... but not many are free.

hmmm..

well, if I kock off fruity loops, that's a hundred extra for these plug-ins. I hate the thought of another program outside the way I've come to know. Actually how would an amp plug-in help anyway...?

Dude, you have nothing to lose.
Download the Fruity demo, it's free, and you can use it to do everything, including export loops as wave files. You just can't use it to save fruity projects. If you need to save projects, you can buy the "pro" version without the piano roll for $49.

www.fruityloops.com

Just to show you what it can do, I made a drum loop in fruity. Then I crunched it up with a bunch of different distortion plugins. All of them were free buzz effects, except for the blood overdrive, which is an included fruity effect.

The results are HERE. You can download all the files as a zip file called beats.zip. The original file is called
. Or you can download one or two or none. They are all named after the effect I used, sometimes with the settings in the name.

If you don't understand why I am pushing this after you listen, then I just don't think I can help you. ;) But don't ever say I didn't try to improve your life...

Back