diffusors

Tonio

Whats up with these diffusors? Would they actually diffuse?

Attachments

• studio_diff.jpg
    studio_diff.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 104
my basic understanding is all the surfaces help reduce the motion of the sound waves, diffuses the sound, or weakens it too.
there's actually some scientific formula that "theorizes" how much energy is lost each time the sound-molecules hit a surface.

Sound is attenuated by absorption, re-directed by reflection and uniformly scattered by diffusion. RPG.

So I guess anything in the room can be called a absorber, reflector or diffusor? including the ME..? So if the band comes into the sound room to hear a playback does that change all the freq responses? :eek:

Yes..because those seperation between the objects help trap the sound...
TRAP IT? :confused: That sounds like absorption. What does
"trapping" sound have to do with diffusion anyway? And if so, how does it accomplish this feat? Is there any test data? Tested proof is the only thing I'll believe anymore, so show me the lab tests. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Personally, those look like a snake oil "diffuser" to me :rolleyes: ;) Or maybe architectural "look cool" grills. Not only that, but by what principle do they...ahem...diffuse broadband sound? Are they Shroeder type diffusers? What are their period? What about their sequence?
Quadratic residue? Perhaps Prime Root? Furthermore, what IS their design bandwidth?
Look, diffusion is a difficult subject to begin with, and there is almost a encyclipedia of "net fact" on diffusion in the HR world, not to mention a plethora of companys selling crap they claim "diffuse" sound. To begin with, DEFINE DIFFUSION. For one, how can you "diffuse" wavelengths that approach the dimensions of the room :mad:

They sure look cool. The CR doesn't even look all that big either. Even if it did have difussion capabilities, I presume it would be in the HF . They seem to be identical, so it would seem overkill at a small frequency range. Plus it doesn't really appear to have any scattering characteristics.
I have seen pcitures of a few more "pro studios" with the exact similar construction, except for the spacers between the 1x's are placed randomly.

i think the CR room looks great, imo.

maybe the wood-diffusors of unknown freq target are to remove the box-shaped room effect?

looking at the pic the angles are created by these wooden "things".

the corners almost appear the wooded-slat things, have something behind them maybe fiberglass/absorbers?

fake or not, how does the music come out is what counts?

i said on another post, this old studio which looks like complete ass, >30yrs old has done some major works and done quite well and still making money using what most of us would consider total crap.....much,much lower than this picture. go figure?

How you get room dimensions diffusion!!

:) Now THESE are diffusers!!

GMLroom.gif

so I wonder after dropping all that cash and science on a room like that...how do they prove it? what tools exactly? what data?

or does the Diffusor salesman say "thats it now your hearing FLAT"...isn't awesome! listen sssshhhh...hear those DIFFUSORS working??

My understanding is Ethan uses $150 software. The mics don't seem to be brought up much as long as their "measurement" mics, calibrated for flat..hmm?
and the sound card.

but in the final stage, where the studio owner writes a check for a room like this, do they usually get a RTA graph or something? with and without people sitting in the room?

measurement of the corners or the mix seat, the co-pilot seat?

is it science leading the sound or the sound leading the science?

but in the final stage, where the studio owner writes a check for a room like this, do they usually get a RTA graph or something? with and without peole sitting in the room?
Don't rightly know coolcat. What I do know is its based on a 2d Prime Root. But you can bet George Massenberg doesn't buy snake oil. :D However, as usual Ethan asks the right question. ;) Scroll to the bottom.

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6176&sid=2950a950075a77ee32d62713c01c5095
Here is more info.

http://www.digidesign.com/digizine/dz_main.cfm?edition_id=101&navid=907

simulating distance?

great link..
seems all this is to create or simulate more space.

I can understand if an ion is travelling a straight path it is a shorter distance, but making the ion go thru a "maze" like diffusors or fiberglass weave, its actually increasing the distance then simulating the room is larger than it is and weakening the energy of the ion. Mean Free Path of the ION is greatly reduced, which is good for a mixing room. If the Mean Free Path had no surfaces the sound would keep reflecting and causing nodes and adding t o standing waves.

Simulating a larger room with Fiberglass and SPIKE/Diffusors or ripping out the ceiling to add space. hmm?

So does anyone have a guess of what a solid 2x4' fiberglass-wall, 100% covered, would add in terms of "simulated" distance to the room?

seems all this is to create or simulate more space.
I don't think so. I think it is to allow the decay of sound at ALL frequencies equally. In otherwords, an equal RT-60 from 20hz to 20k.hz(above or below is of no consequence because of the limits of our hearing). Hence, a flat response/difused sound field. However, my disclaimer is in full force here. ie...I ain't no stinkin expert :D

What i don't get is why he builds this huge amazing room, probably costing $millions, with all the "best" equipment, then puts a computer screen right in front of 1 of the monitors. Wouldn't that screw up what he's done to a certain extent?

Hey Pandamonk, I THINK its a matter of depth perception in the picture. I believe the monitors are set back a ways, but 2d pictures, especially this one, kind of hides the fact. Although...you may be right. :) If that is indeed the case...... :rolleyes: :D

What I wonder is if spending this kind of dough is like buying a Hundee to go shopping at the mall.....just because you can. ;) :D How much better will a mix be after spending a mill or so to get that extra .0000005% "better translation". Hmmm, go figure. I'd like to hear the same project mixed in there vs my room. :D

I don't get the speakers blocked thing either...here's a current Abbey Road shot?

Attachments

• Abbey.JPG
    Abbey.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 53
RICK FITZPATRICK said:
Hey Pandamonk, I THINK its a matter of depth perception in the picture. I believe the monitors are set back a ways, but 2d pictures, especially this one, kind of hides the fact. Although...you may be right. :) If that is indeed the case...... :rolleyes: :D
But from that pic it looks like the speaker isn't even facing the "sweet spot", and that even if it was, the sceen would still be blocking it.

Back