Diablo Insomniac

Audiowriter

Hello. I've been working on a new tune on my old Roland 880 EX digital recorder. I have been bouncing tracks into the abyss and need some feedback. I know the sound has gotten somewhat muddy from all of the layering - but I need some peeps to play it back on a kicking hard rock system and let me know how bad it is. If anyone is bored - check it out - download it and play it back on a thumping rock system.

Any feedback is very much appreciated. (I can take the constructive (and any negative) criticism.
Diablo Insomniac

Thanks.

Audiowriter.

It shouldn't matter what system you play it on it should always sound great, and unfortunately it sound very thin, the guitars are buried as are some vocals while some are way too hot. I don't really hear muddiness at all.

Thanks Patcub.

Again, thanks for the feedback!
I'm having trouble getting the guitars to stay alive in the final mixes - at first it was the drums that kept getting burried - I concentrated on them too much. I use an old digital 8 tracker and it's difficult for me to mix & bounce - several times - while keeping everything balanced. I sure wish I had a 16 or 24 tracker so I could mix everything at once.

Just thumbed the manual and that roland is compatible with cakewalk, problem solved. Download cakewalk and record the that or dump tracks to that then you have you're 24 plus channels

Thanks again Pahtcub. I'll have to try it and see if the older dell computer I use for converting my 880 files will handle cakewalk. I've got reaper on it now - but I haven't tried to do any mixing or etc. with it... yet.
I like your guitar sound on "Hands Up -what are you using?
(BTW - sorry I mis-spelled your screen name in my last post)

The bass guitar seems to poke out here and there, and i agree with Pahtcub. sounds great for an 8-track mix for sure! I listened before reading thoroughly. trying to stay objective with my criticism. put up a link if and when you mix it in reaper or cakewalk!

The bass guitar seems to poke out here and there, and i agree with Pahtcub. sounds great for an 8-track mix for sure! I listened before reading thoroughly. trying to stay objective with my criticism. put up a link if and when you mix it in reaper or cakewalk!

Thanks illumination. I still haven't tried mixing it with Reaper... Yet. I've been trying to re-mix it internally (more track re-bouncing with my Roland 880EX) for a better balance. Will update when I think I have it mixed better - no matter where I end up dong so.

Audiowriter

Hey man. I dig the song. As stated above, some bits sound thin, while the lead vox sounds really big. On the 'save me' bit, is one of the vox a little out of tune? Maybe the harmony just isn't working for me - not sure? Not sure I can help any mix wise - I'm a bit of a noob and I don't know how you'd go about doing such a thing on an 8 track.

Anyhoo, cool song - would like to hear again once you've remixed it in the box.

Vocals

Hey man. I dig the song. As stated above, some bits sound thin, while the lead vox sounds really big. On the 'save me' bit, is one of the vox a little out of tune? Maybe the harmony just isn't working for me - not sure? Not sure I can help any mix wise - I'm a bit of a noob and I don't know how you'd go about doing such a thing on an 8 track.

Anyhoo, cool song - would like to hear again once you've remixed it in the box.

I tried to thicken up the sound / via the guitar(s) volumes - and yea, the harmony voc's are out of tune (did quick dual back up vocal takes throuought the song before any other vocals were added) just to see how it would fit.
I have up-loaded an Instrumental version to get some feedback on the music mix. I'm not a big fan of my own vocal ability anyway - and would really like to hear someone elses voice on the track - even with completely different lyrics - just to see how the vocals/lyrics to the song are approached by others.
Anyway - check out the Instrumental mix - and let me know if at least the music mix is "better".
If nobody jumps in to do some vocals on this - I will have no other choce but to re-do my own and see what happens.
The Instrumental version in at the same link (www.customaudiproductions.com/Diablo_Insomniac) but now there is a seperate link.

Laterz...
Audiowriter

Cool energy to the song. Liked the guitar playing.

I'm catching some pitchiness in the vocal. A few flat notes here and there. Lots of reverb on the vocals, but comparatively little elsewhere. That sounded a little weird to me. If it were me, I'd dry up the vocal. Also thought the vocal was a bit loud through most of the song. Bring the lead vocal down to where the "Save me.... se la vie..." levels are. Just my opinion anyway.

The mix could use a little stronger low end. I thought the rhythm guitar was just a bit thin sounding and the bass was too low in the mix.

Cool energy to the song. Liked the guitar playing.

I'm catching some pitchiness in the vocal. A few flat notes here and there. Lots of reverb on the vocals, but comparatively little elsewhere. That sounded a little weird to me. If it were me, I'd dry up the vocal. Also thought the vocal was a bit loud through most of the song. Bring the lead vocal down to where the "Save me.... se la vie..." levels are. Just my opinion anyway.

The mix could use a little stronger low end. I thought the rhythm guitar was just a bit thin sounding and the bass was too low in the mix.

Thanx TripleM. I hear what all of you are saying - it's just a pain to go back in the 8 track bounced mixes and re-record some of the things that need re-done - it's also a pain to just re-bounce a new mix with what I already have. I'm working on using Reaper to mix down with more than just 8 trax.
I'll try to add some more low end / I have already thickened up the guitars / I just need to get the Back Up Vox re-recorded and re mix all of the vox.
Well, for that matter - the lead vox need re-done too... Arrrgh!

Any takers on doing some vox on this tune??????????

Thanx guys!
Audiowriter

Appreciate the feedback TripleM. If I can't find any takers to do some vox - I'll end up going back and re-recording the vox. I'll clean up the flat spots / add some low end to the music / make sure the guitars are fuller and more present sounding.

Thanx for the input.

Audiowriter

Hmmm, I don't really have a "thumping rock system" but I listened to both versions and the instrumental sounds heaps better to me. I think the vocals on the first version might be mixed a little loud. There are spots where you're definitely not pushing your voice too hard but both it and it's reverb tail just sit on top of everything else. It just sounds a little unnatural. Also I'd write some different drum fills. That same exact tom fill repeating every 8 bars just makes the rhythm sound programmed.

Definitely impressive for 8 tracks...do try and get it into a DAW though. It will speed up your workflow immeasurably.

While messing around with some vocals I noticed that you also have big drum phase issues but here's my first scratch vocal track.

fat_fleet - The vox have heavy verb because I really don't have a good voice - some things that I sing/write come out ok - but I don't like my raw vox. My vox are kind of hot but it was also that the guitar trax were slightly burried too. I re-mixed in the instrumental version. And I know that I droned the drum track - I'm using an old boss 550 - it's a vintage thing. I really appreciate your input and I'm going to scrap this run, program in some more drum fills and lay it down again from scratch.

pahtcub - Your vocal track gives me a whole different way to mentally approach how the vox fit the song. It's cool and very much appreciated. Good job. By there being phase issues - is that referring to the drums "tones" are interfering with another instrument - or with themselves - or both?

Thanx a million guys!!

Audiowriter

The cymbals are causing comb filtering, not sure where from or why without seeing the processing done during mixing and bouncing, but thanks for your kind words on the short vocal take I threw on.

I think I know why the cymbals became an issue - I mixed / bounced a cunfusing number of times to get the balance I have now - but on one mix I had to go back and re-add hat & cymbals because they got burried - voila - they became "gnarly" after adding vox and a couple of more bounces. I NEED to get Reaper or something working to open up more tracks to mix down off of a single playback.

Thanx for the positive input guys!

Audiowriter

I just listened to the version with Pahtcub's vox......sounds nice....the original version needed work on the vox....too much reverb and probably needed some more compression.

Cool song though.

I just listened to the version with Pahtcub's vox......sounds nice....the original version needed work on the vox....too much reverb and probably needed some more compression.

Cool song though.

Thanx prog-man. pahtcub's vocal track gave me some ideas and I think I've got something that will fit well and sound good. I'm working it out now and I'm going to get the vox tracks down tight before I scrap this first run and start over to add some different drum fills - as was mentioned earlier.

Thanx to all! Cheers!

Audiowriter

Back