DI Box the solution?

boingoman said:
The reason his signal is so weak and noisy in the first place is most likely due to the impedance mismatch between the pickups and the input. The pickup's output will drop drastically, the tone will be affected, and the high impedance makes the circuit really vulnerable to noise. Yes, lots of gain at the input will add some noise, but his problem starts with impedance, not low levels. If he just boosted his signal, he would probably have the same problems with noise.

A passive DI could have the same impedance problem, which could be made even worse as the signal is dropped by about 20db, requiring more gain to bring it back up, which will add more noise.

If you look, I said a passive might work, it might not, but I'd bet an active will be a better solution in any case.

Again, I wasn't trying to get into the differences of level/impedance in such a simple question. I'm pretty sure my point in the first place was that he should run the DI's XLR Output into the Mixer's XLR Mic Input.

Yes, I do say. A passive DI drops the level by about 20db. A signal going into a passive DI will come out about 20db down from the level it was. That may or may not end up being in the range considered to be mic level. The signal is attenuated, not "converted". A signal at +10 into the DI will come out at -10, for instance. It is not automatically dropped to mic level, and still may need to be padded so it doesn't overload the mic input

I wasn't making a disctinction between "attenuated" and "converted" This signal level/impedance stuff is all reletive, it's just electricity, as you know, so when I said "converted" I gues s I should have said attenuated. But that's what I meant. Yes, you still may need to pad it. I know that too. I'm not really sure what you think I've been arguing.

Pay attention: Active DIs don't necessarily drop the signal level at all. Many pass the signal through at unity, and have on-board pad switches to drop the level if it needs attenuating.

That's true. I never said that wasn't the way it way.

Both, however, have a low-impedance output. For passives, the impedances depend on what is plugged into it, and the turns ratio of the transformer. A passive with a 1000ohm keyboard plugged into it will have about 100ohms output impedance, which interfaces with a 2000ohm mic pre nicely. An 8000ohm electric pickup through the same DI will show about 800ohms to the mic pre, which could cause problems.

This is exactly what I've been trying to say all along, and I think I already did. DIs have low-impedance outputs, much like a microphone is low-impedance. They both go into mic-pres. That's all I was every saying.

I'm pretty sure you mean "destinations" not "sources". And no shit, they are mean to plug into low impedance inputs. That's what they are for, and what I have been trying to tell you.

Sure, sources, that sounds fine. But this is what I was trying to tell you. Either you didn't read what I was saying, or I didn't read what you were saying. A Mic Input is made for a low impedance source, such as a microphone or a DI box. That's what I was saying the whole time. You said they don't convert to Mic Level. Again, for this discussion, I wasn't seperating impedance and level.

boingoman said:
I'd really love to hear how you relate Ohm's law to all this, but my stupid barrel is all full today. Any more RAK-talk and I might have retarded children.

I'm gonna archive this, and ask the people at Shure all these questions and more next week, you obnoxious moron. It's one thing to be wrong, it's another to be RAK. You give good advice when you talk about your own experience, stay there, it's for the best. And read up on DIs.

Have a nice weekend.

Bubbagump related Ohm's law to all this. He was just saying as Voltage (level) drops, so does Resistance (impedance). That's all I was referencing. It reinforces my point that when I said "level" I was of course also referring to "impedance" but didn't want to get so technical.

I'm sorry I upset you, not trying to be obnoxious. Maybe you just misunderstood me, or we misunderstood each other.

Wikipedia

As much as some people hate Wikipedia, this is what they have to say about, and I have to say, it seems okay to me as a starting point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DI_box

"A DI unit or DI box is an electronic device that connects a high impedance line level signal that uses an unbalanced cable with a 1/4" phone plug to a low impedance mic level input that uses a balanced cable and XLR connector. For example: connecting an electric guitar through a DI box and then to a mixing console's mic input. It performs both level, balancing and impedance matching to minimise both noise and distortion."

Maybe this is what I should have said in my first post, it's basically what I meant. Imedance and Level.

Meh, ain't worth it. I am so completely confused at this point. I have ceome to the conclusion that I know jack about impedance and impedance is not he same thing as resistance in DC circuits. Long story short..... you plug a high impedance line or instrument level source into a DI and then you can run the other side into a mic pre. That is all there is to the practical considerations.

bubbagump said:
Meh, ain't worth it. I am so completely confused at this point. I have ceome to the conclusion that I know jack about impedance and impedance is not he same thing as resistance in DC circuits. Long story short..... you plug a high impedance line or instrument level source into a DI and then you can run the other side into a mic pre. That is all there is to the practical considerations.

As a signal processing engineer once cleared up for me a few months ago, impedance is frequency dependant, and resistance is not. So that's why you see specs like "300 Ohms @ 1 kHz." Impedance can change if the frequency changes. Resistance doesn't care about frequency.

Just to confuse the issue :D

When something is called a low impedance input, it doesn't necessarily mean that the input is (for example) low impedance. It means that it wants be connected to something low impedance.

I can't remember all the math to back up what I am going to say, but here goes:

Impedance changes with the frequency of the signal.

When you connect two things together, they become one circuit. The combined circuit will have it's own characteristic frequency response and signal level that may be different from either of the two separate circuits.

Depending on the desired result, certain combinations will work better than others.

RAK said:
As a signal processing engineer once cleared up for me a few months ago, impedance is frequency dependant, and resistance is not. So that's why you see specs like "300 Ohms @ 1 kHz." Impedance can change if the frequency changes. Resistance doesn't care about frequency.

Let's clear that up a bit further.

Resistance is a DC measurement. It can be measured by simply putting a meter across a component like a resistor or speaker and reading the resistance.

Impedance is an AC measurement. Impedance is the DC resistance with reactance and inductance taken into account when a signal passes through a circuit.

Example: An 8ohm speaker is 8ohms to an AC signal only, like from an amp. It's DC resistance will measure between 5 and 6ohms, typically. And yes, the impedance of a speaker will change with frequency.

Wow, this is a pretty intense thread. And oddly, one participant changed what he was saying in the middle to mirror what his counterpart was saying, then told his counterpart he was an idiot...

Technically, I can't answer the debate, however, I do know in the studio and on the stage I run DI's to input instruments (Bass, Keyboard) into mic inputs or else it sounds like crap with all the noise. So, I agree with RAK here.

I think we know when to use a DI... the dicussion is more "what really happens to the snoots and lips as they go through the sausage machine." The thing I don't understand is how impedance and voltage relate in this equation. I would imagine, looking at Ohms law (yeah yeah, DC I know) that the two (voltage and impedance) are linked. So what does the signal really look like going in and what does it really look like coming out? Then there is all this phase crap and I get totally lost.

bubbagump said:
So what does the signal really look like going in and what does it really look like coming out?
The signal looks the same coming out except it's about 20db quieter (smaller).

The signal doesn't have impedance, the circuit does.

jimmy2sticks said:
Wow, this is a pretty intense thread. And oddly, one participant changed what he was saying in the middle to mirror what his counterpart was saying, then told his counterpart he was an idiot...
Think you have this backwards. Birds of a feather... :eek: :D

NYMorningstar said:
Think you have this backwards. Birds of a feather... :eek: :D

I just re-read and it seems the argument came down to what a DI is doing. In my understanding and expierence it comes down to attenuating the level of the source to allow you to plug it into a mic pre. That is exactly what RAK said to begin with while the other poster refuted, but later came back to say the same thing. Simply because RAK used the word "convert" instead of attenuate. This is a newbie forum after all.....

jimmy2sticks said:
I just re-read and it seems the argument came down to what a DI is doing. In my understanding and expierence it comes down to attenuating the level of the source to allow you to plug it into a mic pre. That is exactly what RAK said to begin with while the other poster refuted, but later came back to say the same thing.

It's not about signal level in this case, was my point. Yes, if you have to crank the gain at the input, some noise will be added. Sometimes a lot. I don't dispute that. And I have used a DI to take advantage of the more-sensitive mic input. But that's not the original poster's real problem, I'd bet. His signal is weak and noisy because of the impedance mismatch, most likely. If he was running into the right impedance, he'd have plenty of clean signal to work with. Into the right impedance, many pickups can put out signals approaching line-level. If he just boosted the signal, but didn't address the impedance issue, he would still have a crappy, noisy signal, just louder. If he just attenuated enough to plug it into a mic pre, it would still be crappy and noisy, because that's what usually happens when you run an electric guitar pickup into a too-low impedance input like a line input. You get a crappy, noisy signal.

Last edited:
bubbagump said:
The thing I don't understand is how impedance and voltage relate in this equation. I would imagine, looking at Ohms law (yeah yeah, DC I know) that the two (voltage and impedance) are linked.

The important thing here is that the relationship between output impedance and input impedance in the circuit determines the voltage a device is able to put into a given input. You could use Ohm's law and suss out the current flows and stuff, but this is about signal (voltage) transfer, not power. You can pretty much disregard the currents involved, and just look at the effect the circuit has on the voltages.

Here's some stuff to think about. A source, a destination, and a cable form a circuit. Mic-cable-pre=circuit. Guitar-cable-amp=circuit. CD player-cable-mixer=circuit. And so on.

All these circuits have a source with an output impedance and output voltage, a destination with an input impedance, and an interconnect as their components.

The output impedance of a device is considered to be in series with the output voltage. Any input has an input impedance. When you hook them together, the output and input impedances form a simple voltage divider network. The output voltage of the source is divided between them.

Plug an electric guitar pickup with 10,000ohms output impedance into an amp with 1Megohm input imedance, which is pretty typical for guitar amps. The input has much higher impedance than the pickup, and the vast majority of the output voltage of the pickup is developed across that input. Now plug that same pickup into a 10,000ohm line input. Only 50% of the pickup's voltage will be present across the input. It's easy to see if you draw it and do the math.

For best signal transfer, the input impedance should be about 10 times the output imedance. This is called impedance bridging. Typical mic impedance is about 250ohms, typical mic pre is 2500ohms. Typical line outputs are 1000ohms, typical line inputs are 10,000ohms. OK? :)

You might ask why a guitar amp has a 1Megohm input, when the bridging formula would seem to indicate that an input of 100,000ohms would suffice for a pickup of 10,000ohms output impedance.

The circuits like these we use in audio are considered to have an overall impedance. A mic-pre-cable circuit is considered to be low-impedance. Mics are around 250ohms, pres around 2500ohms. A guitar-cable-amp circuit is said to be a high-impedance circuit. Source and destination both have high impedances. The higher the impedance of the circuit, the more sensitive it is to noise. I don't know why, but that's the way it is. So for a high-impedance source like a passive pickup, a much higher input impedance than you would expect is used to keep the signal to noise ratio high. Also, magnetic pickups have rapidy rising impedance at higher frequencies, up to a peak, after which the output drops off. The impedance at this peak can be 30-40,000Kohms, which also means a very high-Z input is needed for best tone.

bubbagump said:
So what does the signal really look like going in and what does it really look like coming out? Then there is all this phase crap and I get totally lost.

Skip the phase, it doesn't matter for this.

Let's look at Farview's answer a little bit more (Hey, Farview, whatup? :) )

Circuits have impedance, not signals, he said. Absolutely. And it's the ratio of output to input impedances in those circuits that matters.

Here's how it happens. I'm going to stick with the electric guitar, since it's what the original poster was asking about, and it also shows what is going on pretty well.

First circuit:

guitar-cable-line input. Let's make the output impedance of the pickups and the input impedance of the line input both 10,000ohms to make it easy.

So we have a high-impedance source connected to an input of equal impedance.

The equal impedances means the voltage of the guitar across the line input will be very low compared to when it's plugged into a high-impedance input on an amp, because the output and input impedances form a voltage divider. This low level will raise the noise floor of the signal.
Add to that, the high source impedance of the pickup makes the circuit more susceptible to noise overall. So basically you get a weak and probably noisy signal.

With me so far? That's just a rehash of the last section.

Plus- high-impedance and non-bridged circuits are also more susceptible to capacative losses in cables, which roll off high end, further degrading the signal.

OK- add the DI to get guitar-DI-2500ohm mic input.

This is really two circuits. One is guitar-cable-DI input, and the other is DI output-cable-mic pre.

The DI is an interface, and has no impedance of it's own. It's input and output impedances are derived from what is hooked to it and it's turns ratio.

Let's use a passive DI with a typical 10:1 turns ratio. We have our guitar with 10,000ohms output impedance on the DI input, and mic pre with 2500ohms input impedance on the DI output.

The input impedance of the mic pre is multipied by 10 and appears on the DI input. So the DI input has 25000ohms impedance. The output impedance of the guitar is divided by 10 and appears on the DI output. So the DI has 1000ohms output impedance. And signal going through the DI is divided by 10, for a 20db drop at the output.

Now the guitar sees a 25,000ohm input, which is not great, but better than the 10,000 it saw pluggin into a 10,000ohm line input. It can generate more output, and of better quality, and the mic input is more sensitive, and needs less gain. The mic pre sees a 1000ohm source on it's 2500ohm input, which is not great, but a better ratio than the 1:1 ratio of the guitar into the line input. This DI-cable-mic pre circuit is balanced and lower-impedance, making it less susceptible to noise. Balancing is the other big benefit of using a DI.

Neither of these come close to being bridged circuits, though, and can be noisy, are less-than optimal quality, and still can't deliver the full signal from guitar to input. And though the pickup can deliver more signal and the input is more sensitive, there is the 20db level loss with a passive DI. So you could easily end up in just as bad a situation as you had plugging right into the line input. You've gone from one circuit (guitar-cable-line input) with really crappy impedance characteristics to two circuits (guitar-cable-DI input and DI output-cable-mic pre) with only mostly crappy impedance characteristics, one of which is balanced and relatively low-impedance.

The DI doesn't change the signal, just the impedance characteristics of the circuits, letting them interface and pass signal better. For impedances typical of line gear, the numbers work a lot better. A keyboard with 1000ohms output impedance hooked to a 2500ohm mic pre with a DI will see a 25000ohm input. The mic pre will see a 100ohm source. Both are bridged, and will be very happy. The circuits on both sides of the DI are pretty low impedance, and will be very quiet.

Active DIs have fixed input and output impedances. 250K in and 600 out are common, 1Megohm inputs aren't unusual. They can easily interface any source with a mic pre, impedance-wise.

Seeya.

Last edited:
jimmy2sticks said:
I just re-read and it seems the argument came down to what a DI is doing. In my understanding and expierence it comes down to attenuating the level of the source to allow you to plug it into a mic pre.

So the fact that you have no idea what a DI actually does makes no differece to you? Sydney is rolling over in his grave.

boingoman said:
Are you apologizing for the fact that RAK is a newbie? :cool:
No, I didn't say that at all. I am saying that sometimes vocab you use when you communicate with someone depends on the audience. When I speak with international associates, I don't use large words that he or she may not know.
boingoman said:
So the fact that you have no idea what a DI actually does makes no differece to you? Sydney is rolling over in his grave.

Did I say that? I use them all the time to plug in instruments into a mic pre. Just what the orginal poster asked about.

I like how you always have to insult people to get your point across.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to boingoman for taking the time to explain this in such detail. This thread should be made a sticky because of it. I think now even the gentlemen over at Shure should be able to understand it :D

Thanks Man!

Back