DI bass methods

dzara 4

Hi,

Right now to record bass I usually go directly into my hi-z input on my

focusrite isa220 and then spruce it up with Ampeg. I am looking to take the

bass to the next level in terms of thickness and power. I am really thinking

about purchasing a REDDI but am not sure. I am also considering adding a

Radial JDI before the ISA220 but I dont know if that would benefit anything.

Any suggesstions on DI bass would be helpful, would love some people

opinions on the REDDI

Thanks

The guys at guitar center told me a Behringer mixer was "top of the line" for recording mixes. I walked out of the store. 'Wouldn't always trust them to give the best advice when they are overstocked on a shitty item and are looking to move product :)

Not to say that is the case with the Sams... whatever Bass DI you were sold. In fact, I've been looking to get a DI box built intentionally for bass work, so let us know how it works out for ya.

I've had the sansamp for about 6 years. Its a great unit. I'd highly recommend it. It sure beats your hosa DI. It wont do the really clean sound, but if you like a little hair with your low end, its great.

re / SansAmp Bass Driver DI: I've already used it for three songs, and it sounds great. I didn't use the fuzz sounds... just went with one of their suggestions (the small book it came with had examples of various settings)... the clean one... and it came out great. I used a Warwick ROCK bass, and together, it was a great solution for my song (I record rock music). I actually had to turn down the volume on the bass channel because it was so powerful... even though I was careful to not record it too hot. It's a very solid bass sound that does what it should do: give you a great rhythm foundation.

If I lost it, or had to buy it again, I would without thinking. I would probably upgrade to one of the rack models, actually. I was having second thoughts when I was paying for it 'cause it was so small, and nondescript. The unit is plain... and not flashy. But what it does is great. It can also be used as an effect pedal live.

As usual, another positive vote for the SansAmp Bass Driver. Hands down the best piece of bass gear I've purchased...worth every penny.

You can often find them on eBay for good prices.

dzara 4 said:
Hi,

Right now to record bass I usually go directly into my hi-z input on my

focusrite isa220 and then spruce it up with Ampeg. I am looking to take the

bass to the next level in terms of thickness and power. I am really thinking

about purchasing a REDDI but am not sure. I am also considering adding a

Radial JDI before the ISA220 but I dont know if that would benefit anything.

Any suggesstions on DI bass would be helpful, would love some people

opinions on the REDDI

Thanks

Are you going for the "Ampeg sound"? Assuming you are ...

IMO, with the ISA and the Ampeg SVX combo you are not going to get any closer to that sound with a REDDI or a SansAmp. I have not tried the DI on the Focusrite ISA but I assume it is decent and the Ampeg plugin does a very good job of modeling different Ampeg rigs. What kind of bass are you using? New strings? Did you try different amp/cab combos with the SVX? Between the transparency of my True P-Solo and the versatility of the Ampeg software I can get a wide variety of bass tones.

Also, are you using compression? This could be part of what you are looking for also ...

Any one use the clark technic DIs? I heard they are bloody good. as for ampeg i dont really hear too much difference in ampegs tones i dont really think its great (amplitube is OK but real amps.... dont use em for bass though)

Yesterday I used the original guitar POD with the Small Tweed selected and compressed it a little and got a pretty damn good bass sound out of it.

Another vote for Tech 21

I also throw in a Berigher tube pre-amp in the chain.
http://www.behringer.com/MIC200/index.cfm?lang=ENG

It has apreset bass settings with a limiter option which works well as the dynamic is reduced, but the sound is still more natural (what every that really means) as the limiting and warming is in the same unit and less compression is need when burn it down. You can then get a tube amp through a tube mic sound

shit...speaking of the "B", i saw on gearslutz that king's x is using the V-amp pro to DI the bass on their new album...michael wagner stated the low end sounds way better that he would've thought with the unit

just a little something to think about, i guess

Has anyone used the Sansamp DI as a bass preamp for live? I'm currently using a DIY pedalboard for my preamp:

Ibanez Phat-Hed overdrive...
MXR M-108 eq stomper...
dbx 163A ("OverEasy" compressor)...
Conquest passive DI, in case I need to run to FOH.

The above goes to a Crest FA901 power amp, and a 4 ohm cab. I'd like to maybe simplify, but honestly I'm getting good sound here.

Pardon it's not exactly a recording Q, but I'm after an opinion on the Sans, if no one minds. Thanks.

I like the GT Brick for bass, or an Avalon U5... the only problem is prices. You can find the bricks for a good price, and they're worth it in my opinion.

Back