Cymbals!

Hey guys i have a new pearl forum series set with STOCK heads. i love the set but..... i want 2 get new heads. would it be better to buy regular 2 ply heads or hydraulic heads. right now i have o-rings on the toms and snare. I wanted 2 buy the evan hydraulic black heads but i dont know or the remo white coated heads.

IMO, smaller drums get the the Remo Ambassadors, and the larger ones get the pinstripes. Snare gets a Coated ambassador and the bass gets a Powerstroke 3 or Evans EQ2. (the Remo head seems to give better low end response whereas the Evans is a more focused attack.)

Fibersykns are also cool if you like a warm resonant sound.

i don't like the hydraulics, either. they're too "dead" sounding. too "muffled". i think they're a lot like pinstripes and just not my cup of tea. i suppose they're great if that's the sound you're after, i just like my drums to breathe a little and show a little life and vibrance.......that's why i prefer the G2's.

however, for metal, the hydraulics might be exactly the sound you're looking for.

really, it depends a lot on the drums, as well. some heads are better suited for some drums and not others. take $50 and order yourself a couple different heads and experiment. that's the only way you're gonna find anything you like. it's a lot like mating guitar strings with the guitar......

cheers,
wade

I would say the same as face. Too... dead.

The G2's have a strong attack and a nice deep ring. The Pinstripes are kind of in between these sounds.

If you really don't know what you want.. try out a few different heads.

PS I also play metal.

For cymbles, I recomend the Zildjian A series. They're very versatile and I like the way they sound live and in the studio. I currently have:
15" New Beats
17" A Medium crash
19" A medium crash
19" A custom crash
21" A Sweet Ride

I like the versatility of the cymbles. I like the larger crashes for more of the John Bonham tone but everyone has there preference. I never thought I could choke that 19" A meduim but I tried it in the studio, and it sounded great! Hell, now i choke it all the time! I used to just choke the 19" A custom but the 17" and 19" mediums work great as well. you might try A medium-thins as well.
The Sweet ride is very versatile. nice ping, yet nice warmth. It washes out very nicely as well...and makes a killer crash!

Paiste 2002 series are nice as well but you're gonna spend a pretty penny for them so, I would make sure you play some first.

As for heads, I like the Remo coated emperers. I recently tried the Evens G2 coated but the remos have more low end response. The Clear emperers are good as well. I would go with 2 ply heads (Emperers or G2s) rather than single ply(Ambassaders or G1s).

Hey yeah i've heard a lot of good comments on the A series cymbals. i've also had recomendation of the 20" A ping ride

best cymbal i've ever owned and one that has got MANY complements on how it records and sounds is my 18" k-custom dark crash. nice cymbal. i would say that k-custom is about as high-end as you can get.

Back