Cymbals!

mikeh said:
To go through all the cymbals would require a book (vs. a post)

I think the A series (vs. A customs) provide a good value and a good tone which would work in many styles.

The Z's certainly cut through a live mix and would likely be considered "heavy metal cymbals" however, I can't imagine trying to tame them in a studio. I don't like to spend my money on a one dimentional cymbal.

I personnally like the K's - but I play a lot of jazz and the K's have a "vintage sound"

I own somthing like 30-40 cymbals (been playing a long time) and I have every thing from Zildjian K's down to some ZBT's and from Sabian HH down to B8's - several Paiste Signature and I own several Wuhans which I really enjoy.

If I had to name my favorite series of cymbals it would likely be (in order):

Sabian HH
Zildian K's
Zildian A's
Sabian AA's
Paiste Signature

Although, every series has some that are better than others.

Love the Sabian HH's. I've had about 5 rides (not a lot for some of you ;)) and the HH Classic is my favorite. :)

I would switch the 17" crash for a 16". You want to allow a substantial difference in diameter to you can distinctly hear one cymbal from another when played.

I would drop the 19" all together, that's just excessive and it's not needed. If you want, swap it for a smaller China Trash to offer a high/low effect. I have a 12" that is SCHWEEEEEET. I don't know how good that would be for metal, though. Perhaps a 16" would be better for that.

Finally, go with a small spash cymbal. Maybe like a 9" or so. Larger spashes sound like garbage, no matter what type of music you are playing.

hey designbyt thanx 4 your comments. that cymbals set up is actually "Lars Ulrich" set-up. except i took off the the (2). I made them all singles.

14" Dyno Beat HiHats (2) Z Custom
17" Medium Crash (2) A Zildjian
18" Medium Crash (2) A Zildjian
12" Custom Splash Z Custom
18" China Trash Sound Effects
19" Medium Crash A Zildjian
20" Ping Ride A Zildjian
20" China Trash Sound Effects

that is the exact set up

I don't like having a hugely distinct difference between cymbals. I play heavy metal/hardcore/whatever you want to call it. For the latest recording my band is doing.. I used an 18" AAX Stage Crash and an 18" Zildjian A Custom Crash. They blended sooooo nicely. I'm a fan of larger crashes.

I don't think I could even find a use for 2 chinas, or even 3 crashes. I just use 2 crashes and one china. No point in wasting your money... sure having lots of different cymbals looks cool, it just doesn't seem worth it. (I'm poor)

Plenty of metal bands use two chinas. Llisten to an Alice In Chains or Pantera album. High/low chinas are used and they have a pretty nice effect. But I do agree that it is not necessary. But if you got the extra $$ to spend, I would go that route, instead of buying a plethora of crashes.

If you are looking for effects, check out the Zildjian Zilbel. Excellent for heavy music. I play a 6" & 9". They cut straight through the mix with an alarming , attention grabbing sound.

thanx designbyt. ill take that into consideration. and do you think that the zilbels will blend with big 16,17,18 inch crashes?

It's a different sound all together. A metal drummer would definitely find use for the 9". Two bells are excessive, I just like the high/low effect. But I would recommend the single 9".

hey dude i play heavy metal and i use paiste rude 20" power ride, 16" rude crash/ride, dimensions 17" crash, 2002 14"hihats.
and there amazing for heavy metal they cut thrue LOUD and there shimmering undertones are outstanding i recomend them. there expensive cymbals so look for them on ebay its worth it
peace

hey tubesrawsom do you have the 2002 Sound Edge, medium, heavy hi-hats? and what dimensions 17" crash do you have??

2002 14" heavy hi hats 17" dimensions power crash
i dont have any recordings with them yet but when i do i will post it
peace

Hey tubesrawsom that was cool im going to go to gc and test them out soon. it sounds convincing enough to go and test them out

Drummer706 said:
Hey what do you guys think of this cymbal setup for heavy metal by sabian?:

A) 14" AA Rock hats
B) 12" AA splash
C) 16" HHX Power crash
D) 18" HH Rock crash
E) 22" AAX Metal ride
F) 19" AAX Metal crash
G) 20" AAX chinese

looks nice but you'd be very limited to metal...... a mixture of AAX/HHX metal cymbals with a few Z's, A's and K's might be a better idea...

thats only me though - if you were sure you'd be playing 100% heavy metal they would probably be good

Back