Cycling... Anyone here into it?

Shep, have you done the Tail of the Dragon yet? If you're doing Maggie Valley, you're right there.
I have not. We have some similar rides in Alabama up around Little River Canyon that Ive done. I know a lot of folks view it as a must, but to be honest, that sort of riding isn't a lot of fun.No relaxing at all. If I do decide to ride it, I will try to pick a week day, when it is slow. Those sort of places tend to attract a lot of people that have bikes, but aren't experienced riders. I much prefer to just kick back and take in the scenery. There are so many great places to ride up there that I wont be able to fit them all into a single trip. I do plan to stay one night in Little Switzerland, NC.The road to it (NC226A) is known as
'The Diamond Back" and has 200 curves in 11 miles. Ive done it in a car, and it is pretty cool, with lots of good spots to pull over and enjoy the view, and Little Switzerland is one of the coolest places Ive found while road tripping.

Ugh... Yesterday was a wreck. I felt horrible with a stomach ache. I have no idea where that came from.
Tried to eat a little something... that didn't work out well...
Today I felt a little better, but exhausted. Ate a piece of fruit, pumped up the tires and went for a very leisurely and short ride...

Went to the greenway...

Visited the multiple field sports complex and watched a couple of kids matches for a short bit...

Decided to head home, and on the way it started to spit rain. Kicked it up a notch and got home as it started to pour.
Hope I feel better tomorrow...

Visited the multiple field sports complex and watched a couple of kids matches for a short bit...

Decided to head home, and on the way it started to spit rain. Kicked it up a notch and got home as it started to pour.
Hope I feel better tomorrow...
Are you ever separated from the bike by more than a few feet for any length of time and if so what kind of lock do you use?

Are you ever separated from the bike by more than a few feet for any length of time and if so what kind of lock do you use?
Yes, when I go for a quick shopping trip.
I remove the Garmin, the Topeak bag, and use an Abus folding alarm lock...

Yes, when I go for a quick shopping trip.
I remove the Garmin, the Topeak bag, and use an Abus folding alarm lock...

Interesting, I wonder how it compares to my Abus U-lock and cable. The cable lets me secure both wheels which have quick-releases. Around here thieves will steal bikes if you leave them in a conspicuous place unsecured but it's not like a big city where bike theft is so rampant. How much more complicated does the electric drive hardware make the rear wheel to remove? Is either wheel on a quick-release hub? Hard to tell from the photos.

Looking at a review it's a pretty substantial piece of hardware. Has the alarm ever gone off spontaneously and become a public annoyance device as is so common with cars?

Interesting, I wonder how it compares to my Abus U-lock and cable. The cable lets me secure both wheels which have quick-releases. Around here thieves will steal bikes if you leave them in a conspicuous place unsecured but it's not like a big city where bike theft is so rampant. How much more complicated does the electric drive hardware make the rear wheel to remove? Is either wheel on a quick-release hub? Hard to tell from the photos.

Looking at a review it's a pretty substantial piece of hardware. Has the alarm ever gone off spontaneously and become a public annoyance device as is so common with cars?
Your U-lock may resist a grinder better? Not sure. I looked at them and didn't like the bulk. My folding lock is occupying the water bottle holder. The cable is a great deterrent methinks, but the weaker of the lot I'm guessing.
As my bike is a "mid drive" (motor between the pedals) the rear end is the same as any regular bicycle.
The rear wheel is a typical quick-release lever with a drop-out. The front is an interesting "quick-release" made by Suntour who made the fork. Their Q-lock system is absolutely not immediately obvious how to remove the mech, but still requires no tools.

The alarm on the lock has gone off unnecessarily once. I had it with the "head" sitting up, and while I was in the store it just fell over on its own weight. Lesson learned.
When I get back to the bike, if I'm putting things in the pannier etc, it will provide warning beeps before going off.

Well it's been a week...
Finally got over the gut ache/pain on Tuesday and work filled the rest.
Today peaked around 16C or so and I headed out just before then with 2 layers of long sleeves. At first it felt a bit cool, but warmed up nicely.

Blasted down a usual path heading South...

Blew through Watershed Park...

Then all the way East on Colebrook Road to King Geo Hwy...

Tripped over this new installation...

It's an "odour control facility". Funny that at the very right of the facility is an outhouse. Lol!

Anyway, bolted home and covered around 26kms. Good to be back in the saddle.

Today is the last of the sunshine for a few days. Rain tomorrow so I had to get out!
I haven't done this route for a while, so what the heck? 35kms.

This is the entrance to the Alex Fraser bridge which crosses the South arm of the Fraser River...

Here we are looking up river/East at the top...

After traversing Annacis Island, this is looking East on the North arm of the Fraser River...

Floating homes on the river. I saw one for sale for a measley $950,000!!!

Had to ditch the second layer...

Tiny boat...

Had to take this picture...

This boat has a skeleton crew...

Need a new car?

And finally looking West from the bridge on the way home...

Nice pics Dave! Thanks for sharing. It's interesting to see your neck of the woods.

Here's that Marin. As mentioned - it's an excellent bicycle. I bought it at REI approx. 10 years ago for about $600.

20231002_144233.jpg

It's approx 53lbs I believe. Maybe 54 with the bigger battery and dropper post.
Heavy I know, but you don't notice it.
Couple more questions....

What's the approx range fully charged?

Does it stay strong until the battery dies? Or does it wane somewhat as battery runs lower?

Have you had it die while you're out and have had to pedal? Is it a beating to pedal at 54 lbs? Or not bad?

Couple more questions....

What's the approx range fully charged?

Does it stay strong until the battery dies? Or does it wane somewhat as battery runs lower?

Have you had it die while you're out and have had to pedal? Is it a beating to pedal at 54 lbs? Or not bad?
The original battery was 500wh. I would average approx 1% of battery per kilometer. But in reality I would expect around 60-70 kilometers of range out of it. I think my longest ride so far was 61 kms all flat, sunny day, no wind and I had over 50% left using assist very frugally.
Factors that affect range are rider weight (I'm 215lbs), additional cargo, headwind, hills, and the amount of assistance chosen. The bike has 5 levels of assist, and those levels are individually adjustable in a mobile app.
The new battery is 800wh and I average approx 1% of battery per 1.5 kilometers, which makes sense considering the battery is about 60% larger capacity. I could expect 100kms I suppose.
I have never run out of battery TBH. I run out of gas before the battery does. The assist levels stay consistent as the battery drains until you get below 10% or so, then the bike only offers the lowest assist level. I have never experienced that though.
Without question, and even though the drive train is a standard bicycle setup (10 speed), it is a beast to pedal it up a hill unpowered. I had a similar Giant Fathom E+2 hardtail that I sold to a work buddy. He ran the battery dry on one ride and had zero fun getting up a steep hill with it. He now packs a spare battery for long rides.
BTW, many ebikes have a throttle which basically lets it run like a motorcycle. A throttle is common on an ebike with a hub drive on the rear wheel. A throttle is rare on a mid drive ebike, and mine does not have one. You go nowhere without pedaling.
There are some lighter weight ebikes now, and some of the more road/gravel oriented ones are easily pedaled without power. Tire choice makes a difference as well of course.

Last edited:
I find that less saddle and less padding means fewer problems. I like racing-style saddles for long distances because I can just get my sit bones lined up and no other part of me is chafing on the saddle.

The guy on the bike was 3/4 over in the car lane. Did he think the Colgate Invisible Shield would protect him? Okay hit and run dude is the bigger asshole but bike boy was an ass too. Makes all bicycle riders look bad.

So, there's a double yellow, no shoulder, and the fog line is right on the grass. He's taking the lane because he thinks it's unsafe for vehicles to pass him. In my state it is perfectly legal to do that. However, he somehow didn't figure that motorists unanimously disapprove of his genius safety strategy.

Also, sometimes you need to turn left. That would be a good reason to take the left center lane.

Back