Cycling... Anyone here into it?

One of my earliest memories is learning to ride a 2-wheeler in a park in Birmingham during the summer of love when I was 4. My Dad took me to the park and once I set off, there was no stopping me. The one thing I remember about that day is that as I was riding, I saw a couple on the grass. I can't recall if they were snogging, but they were lying side by side and were doing something ! But I didn't care. I was riding my bike !!

I've had 6 major phases of cycling in my life. There was that initial '67-'71 spurt. Then there was '73-'76 where I really started discovering my environs. I used to cycle for miles, either with friends or alone. My parents wouldn't have been too pleased if they knew where I was or that I was on the road. Once, I got home so late {I was 12} and I had to explain to my Dad where I'd been and I'm lucky I didn't get hit. We used to do this thing called the cycling proficiency, which was like a course for child cyclists. It was like a mini driving course with a test at the end and you'd get a certificate which meant you could officially ride on the road. I missed mine when I was meant to do it at 11, and I ended up doing it at 13. To be honest, it was pretty meaningless {I'd been riding on the road for years at that point}, but I was proud as Punch when I passed mine !

Then there was the '84-'85 period, a 2-year period where I used to say that I cycled "for economic reasons," which was partially true, but I did really enjoy it. It was the first bike I'd owned that had gears. I went all over London and it was the first time I had total freedom of mobility. In those days, night buses had just started, but they were hourly, limited in where they went and they were disgusting, with people eating, drinking, throwing up, smoking, sometimes pissing, and they were always packed. So I'd meet my friends wherever we went and my bike was my travelling salvation. Whenever I listen to Rush's "Cygnus X1" I'm still reminded of a bike journey I did in the summer of '84 down to London's West End to meet some mates {we were going to watch what was then the trilogy of Star Trek Movies}. It was in that time that I got into listening to albums on the Walkman while cycling. It made journeys at 3 a.m. from Hendon or Brixton or Kilburn or the Isle of Dogs to Bounds Green along the North Circular Road or wherever, so much more enjoyable. I used to do this saving ring {it was called "Partner"} with these women where we'd put in a certain amount each week but that week, one of the contributors would get the whole pot. The first time it came around to my turn for the pot, I bought the bike. It saved me a transport fortune.

I had a car circa '86-late '87 but it had died by the end of that year so in Jan '88, I bought a bike {the one I had was stolen from the house I lived in} and that got stolen from a new place I moved to but a few months later I got another one with some redundancy money I'd received. This was my first mountain bike. I cycled until mid '95 and like a decade earlier, literally went everywhere. Then not long after, I got married and didn't cycle again until 2006. I'd had enough of running and tried to get back into cycling, but I found it really hard and sold the bike in 2009. I realized that the bike was too small and my legs were coming round too quickly, even in the toughest gear. But by 2011, I thought I'd better get back on the old bike again so I bought one and I've been riding it ever since. It was a large frame, in fact, the largest frame they made at the time. I was always told that one's feet should be comfortably able to rest on the ground when stationary. But I need the seat really high because I don't want my legs coming round quickly, so stuff that. I have long legs. If I'm still, my feet don't reach the ground ! It's been that way for me since the 80s.

But although I used to ride quite a bit, my riding went into overdrive in January of 2020, just after I started doing a paper round. Since then, except for when the bike has been getting repaired or the odd storm {I was not going out during storm Ciarra ! But I did get a decent song out of it}, I've ridden about 7 miles each day. That might not seem like much, but it adds up, keeps my heart in fair condition, gives me the opportunity to listen to my music {that's something I've loved about biking ever since I became an adult} and is a nice body stretcher. My route has a good combination of ridiculously steep hills, parkland {or at least it did until the lady at no.6 Stubbs decided she would take her daily exercise and collect her paper} and flat-ish ground. There's not much traffic while I'm out {6.10 -about 7.20 am} and I've made some interesting friends out on their walks or on their way to work. I've come up with a number of songs, lyrics, instrument parts and loads of ideas while I've been on the bike. It's a great time to think and talk with God, and I have come to like and appreciate the changing of the seasons. I particularly notice this in the way my clothing changes.
I used to like cycling with my kids as they were getting bike-savvy.
Nice writeup GT!
Always interesting to hear about others experience.

That kid got lucky fo sho!
I'm not as advanced as you with the maintenance, but I do use the same Park Tool chain cleaner. Works a treat!
Also really happy with Squirt wax lube.
I made a modification to mine by drilling out that hole in what I gather is supposed to be a place to pour in degreaser, it's way too small the way it comes. I also drop in a piece of magnetic strip to catch minute metal particles so they don't get recycled back onto the chain. I got the idea from the previous scrubber I used which had a magnet built into the bottom.

I'm afraid I can't contribute much to this discussion. My 1960s Columbia bike was as far as I went. One speed with coaster brakes and white walls! It had a pair of headlights, a couple of D cell batteries in the "tank" that promptly leaked and corroded the insides, a wire basket thingy on the front. I got it when I was about 8 and I rode it until I was about 13 or 14. It looked like this one! I guess my parents gave it away when I moved out and got married.

Columbia.jpg

The next bike I got was a Kawasaki dirt/street bike with a 100cc motor. No more pedalling for me.

I made a modification to mine by drilling out that hole in what I gather is supposed to be a place to pour in degreaser, it's way too small the way it comes. I also drop in a piece of magnetic strip to catch minute metal particles so they don't get recycled back onto the chain. I got the idea from the previous scrubber I used which had a magnet built into the bottom.
Sounds like a good idea.
To be honest I've only used it once on two different bikes. After cleaning the chain deeply with it and then using wax lube the chains only seen to need a wipe down and re-lube every 3 weeks or so.

I'm afraid I can't contribute much to this discussion. My 1960s Columbia bike was as far as I went. One speed with coaster brakes and white walls! It had a pair of headlights, a couple of D cell batteries in the "tank" that promptly leaked and corroded the insides, a wire basket thingy on the front. I got it when I was about 8 and I rode it until I was about 13 or 14. It looked like this one! I guess my parents gave it away when I moved out and got married.

View attachment 133370

The next bike I got was a Kawasaki dirt/street bike with a 100cc motor. No more pedalling for me.
That's a beauty! :-) Still have a motorbike?

I still have my 1980 Suzuki GS550, but it hasn't run for 20 years. For a while I thought about getting it going again, but with the way traffic is today, and the drivers who don't pay attention to the semi next to them, how would they ever see a motorcycle?

One day I'll find someone who like to restore old Japanese cycles and make him a deal.

I still have my 1980 Suzuki GS550, but it hasn't run for 20 years. For a while I thought about getting it going again, but with the way traffic is today, and the drivers who don't pay attention to the semi next to them, how would they ever see a motorcycle?

One day I'll find someone who like to restore old Japanese cycles and make him a deal.
I can understand that.
The traffic here has gotten a lot worse as well. I much prefer to ride greenways, trails, and paths instead of roads.

If anyone isn't already aware of it a great resource for anything bike related is bikeforums.net

A lot of knowledgeable people generally happy to share knowledge. Of course there's typical issues that arise on any forum - battling experts etc. but that's what happens in forums.

Yep. Nice photos. Sold my road bike after putting 1000 or so miles on it throughout California. I didn't like the scene as much because of the lycra, weight-weenies, and hammerheads.

Now I'm riding a Specialized sequoia mostly off-road to avoid cars as much as possible. It's heavy and toothpaste green with 44mm tire and eggbeater clips.

I do some mountain biking but mostly cross country because downhill single track is kind of terrifying.

Don't tell DrStawl tho. I make fun of him for riding his bike everywhere.

It can be suicide riding on major roads here in UK.
The truck drivers, and many others are distracted by illegally using their phones.
Many of those main roads are also narrow and twisty. They were designed for horse and cart.
Two boys from my school were killed while out cycling.
One, a serious club cyclist, was mown down by a hit and run. The other was killed at a busy cross-roads.

Yep. Nice photos. Sold my road bike after putting 1000 or so miles on it throughout California. I didn't like the scene as much because of the lycra, weight-weenies, and hammerheads.

Now I'm riding a Specialized sequoia mostly off-road to avoid cars as much as possible. It's heavy and toothpaste green with 44mm tire and eggbeater clips.

I do some mountain biking but mostly cross country because downhill single track is kind of terrifying.

Don't tell DrStawl tho. I make fun of him for riding his bike everywhere.
Got some pics of your steed?

The truck drivers, and many others are distracted by illegally using their phones.
Many of those main roads are also narrow and twisty. They were designed for horse and cart.
One, a serious club cyclist, was mown down by a hit and run. The other was killed at a busy cross-roads.
Freakin' brutal.
I think we all need better cycling infrastructure.

I don't ride where there's not a bike lane or other path where a bike can ride - even bike lanes aren't a guarantee. I see people riding on the road with vehicular traffic and assume they're got a death wish. If I get to a busy intersection I walk it across or at least follow the crosswalk signal.

Everyone probably saw the news story about those lowlife asshole teens who deliberately ran over a guy on a bike with a stolen car laughing the whole time - apparently they posted it to social media - the mind boggles.

Then there's incidents like this - some drunk assclown mows down a cyclist. It's supposedly designated a bike trail, the video demonstrates how useful that designation is. It was a hit and run and he took the window stickers off the vehicle to obscure it but the other cyclist got the tag on his helmet cam. The guy got 10 months and had to pay restitution - seems like a light sentence to me. Fortunately the cyclist didn't sustain serious injuries - he's some kind of lucky, fell just the right way.

Back