Cut up my equipment rack tonight...

M1Fanatic

Digital whaaa?
I changed the rack from a straight-front to sloped-front rack to house my 38. I'll be getting so rack ears next Friday to mount it on the rails.

Right now it's sitting on a shelf with a back that's screwed into the sides of the rack. I had to cut the rack rails too and re-align them. A 7-1/2" cut-off wheel makes quick work of the job.

The white on the edges is the raw cut where I took off the material to slope the front. I'll cover this by either painting or laminating new plastic to the edges.

I'm going to mount casters on it too so I can move it around a bit.

T380001.jpg

I was going to steal the rack ears off of my 52, but the machine is an inch wider than the 38 and the ears wouldn't fit because the outside leg is too short! Damn. :rolleyes:

There's three sets of rack ears for the 32/34/34B/and 38 on e-Bay right now.

Please don't everyone buy them up before next Friday! I can't afford them until then.

Check a search on 'TASCAM' in e-Bay.

There's three sets of rack ears for the 32/34/34B/and 38 on e-Bay right now.

Please don't everyone buy them up before next Friday! I can't afford them until then.

Check a search on 'TASCAM' in e-Bay.

.....uummmmm........yeah......

Suggestion: don't buy those "new" rack ears from those guys. One member on here did that and was highly disappointed. The ears didn't line up and the paint was still wet, if I remember the description correctly. Those particular guys are a bit shady, hard to get in touch with, and from the limited experience people have had with them, not worth the hassle. Just my .02 though.;)

Sounds like B stock. I can make my own for $20 so I guess I will. Thanks for the head's-up.

They're worse then B stock. They're home made by an incompetent hobbyist.

If you do decide to make your own, let one of us get you the proper measurements for the rack rail ears taken directly from the real ones.

I have a pair of them for my 38 and if they are not needed by the buyer of the deck, I could sell you mine...I'm still in negotiations with them right now so we'll see.

Cheers! :)

They're worse then B stock. They're home made by an incompetent hobbyist.

If you do decide to make your own, let one of us get you the proper measurements for the rack rail ears taken directly from the real ones.

I have a pair of them for my 38 and if they are not needed by the buyer of the deck, I could sell you mine...I'm still in negotiations with them right now so we'll see.

Let me know if your buyer doesn't need them, I'll take them off your hands up until next Friday, then I'm cutting my own. If you have the dimensions I could use them.

I figured they're 1.5" x 2.0"+/-.

Here are the 52 photos:

T520001.jpg

T520002.jpg

T520003.jpg

T520004.jpg

T520006.jpg

T520007.jpg

T520008.jpg

When I was in the pro audio business we had a fairly complete metal shop in the basement and a fellow (Harold) who was about 75 years old who could make anything that we needed in it. It was not at all uncommon for him to knock off a pair of rack ears in no time flat. If you don't have the ability to do them yourself, take the deck into a local metal fabricator and I am sure they could do the job fairly quickly. If I recall correctly though, the originals were cast, not bent metal, so that would be a bit harder to come by.

When I was in the pro audio business we had a fairly complete metal shop in the basement and a fellow (Harold) who was about 75 years old who could make anything that we needed in it. It was not at all uncommon for him to knock off a pair of rack ears in no time flat. If you don't have the ability to do them yourself, take the deck into a local metal fabricator and I am sure they could do the job fairly quickly. If I recall correctly though, the originals were cast, not bent metal, so that would be a bit harder to come by.

Yes, they do appear to be cast aluminum, as the weight of them is some degree lighter then what steel would be.

I'll take some good quality pictures of mine later today and document the measurements as best I can for M1fanatic.

I have the ability and the tools. I'll be using aluminum angle in this case, 1/8" thickness.

The front leg is 1-1/2" as I've already measured that with it sitting in the mounted position. The side leg can be anything 2" and up.

McMaster-Carr out of Chicago is my raw material supplier for most mechanical projects, but their shipping kills me and I also have to pay tax because I'm in Illinois. I may buy 2"x2" locally and cut a 1/2" from the front leg. More work, but a lot less money. No one around here carries a very wide selection of raw stock. McMaster has the 1-1/2"x2" in stock, but it's 8' long!

I'd much rather buy than build, but I'm not ready to invest in someone else's amateur attempt. Anyone can do a bad job, but I know I can build them correctly. It ain't rocket science.

Back