cut on my eye

Nobody. It's an old saying. On the farm farmers raise their own turkeys. They have turkeys they harvest for thanksgiving and they have turkey they don't harvest until Christmas. The turkeys that are harvested in December have been fed and fattened up for an additional month....thus....they are more full of shit than the ones killed at Thanksgiving.
That's where the expression "full of shit as a Christmas turkey" came from.
I'm surprised you didn't know that, you being a southerner

I'm a big city southerner. I'm not a backwoods redneck southerner.

You've missed the point entirely. The system did not used to cost that. A two week stay in the hospital cost the equivalent of a nice rifle in the 60s. Yeah, I can buy a nice (really nice) rifle for about $4000. But we're not even talking Beretta shotguns, we're talking a nice hunting rifle. Equivalent today, probably $800-1000. That was for two weeks of hospital care. Today it's more than twice that PER DAY, plus extras.. But emergency room stuff is outrageous.
Yeah, there may be people out there that abused the medical system, but you don't fix a problem by punishing everyone. Our current healthcare system is like incarcerating the entire population because some of them are murderers...

How exactly is everyone being punished, in your opinion?

I'll say it again: Overall healthcare costs have been reduced, not increased, by the ACA. Sure, it doesn't directly benefit everyone. For example, if you're a billionaire you already had great healthcare. All you got was a tax increase. If you are a young healthy person you now buy health insurance whereas before you could have skated by without it and then shafted everyone if you got a catastrophic illness, or perhaps died from something preventable. The flip side is that sick people are now able to get affordable coverage, and older people who are not yet eligible for medicare are getting far cheaper coverage than before. And poor people are getting coverage as well. Small businesses are also getting better rates through the new marketplaces.

Seems to me for every 1 person you think are being punished, there are many more who are being helped.

You honestly think having health insurance doesn't reduce your health risks?

How can having insurance reduce or increase your health risk? It is completely impossible for a piece of paper to do so.
On the other hand, since that piece of paper (more technically, the repercussions of that piece of paper) increased the cost of getting adequate health care overall, it reduced the amount some wish to use health care. Which effectively increases their (personal) health risk.
It's not about legislating healthcare or insuring health care, it's about affordable health care. That is what they touted the new system as, but that is quite the opposite of what the truth turned out to be (which seems to be the way with all of our new president's programs).

Or if you're an honest, middle-aged employee who already had insurance that covered well and now pay more per month for your insurance and incredibly-hugely-vastly more for each visit, you wonder how anyone can say "Overall healthcare costs have been reduced, not increased..." Your example of the billionaire aside, young, healthy people where I work don't go to the doctor because it's too expensive...even though everyone has insurance. The affordable part of the equation, at that point, does not seem realistic.

I got a punctured cornia from a sloe thorn that sprung back whilst out walking the dogs. Sloe thorns here are about an inch long and sharp as needles.. It was excruciatingly painful for a few weeks and then for about a week every few months as the scab that results apparently gets blinked off quite easily before it heals properly and you are back to square one. Lasted for over a year and they were on the brink of doing surgery to repair it before it finally corrected itself. It was probably the most discomfort I have ever suffered and I've had quite few broken and damgaed body bits over the years. Doctors reconed I was about a mm from losing my eyesight..

Apparently the toe/fingernail nail thing with the needle like you had is quite common with footballers and dancers. I love bursting a good blister but under a nail....... No thanks.

A smart scientist like you should have figured out how to make a gauze patch and tape the eye shut to prevent blinking. You're not supposed to blink over a eyeball cut because it knocks the scab off.

Who treated you for that....kcearl?
Lol

The US healthcare system is f*cked. A million for an asprin? No, but go the hospital for a few days 'vacation' and see what the ycharge for one, or for a Band-Aid. It's all mostly about the insurance companies making huge profits.
If the hospitals charge a fortune for a bandaid, and the insurance companies pay it....
How is it all about the insurance companies making huge profits?

It's not about legislating healthcare or insuring health care, it's about affordable health care. That is what they touted the new system as, but that is quite the opposite of what the truth turned out to be (which seems to be the way with all of our new president's programs).

You're not right, on several levels. Firstly the primary purpose of the ACA is to increase the number of people who are insured by making health insurance - wait for it - affordable. They've undeniably made a tremendous amount of progress:

In U.S., Uninsured Rate Sinks to 12.9%

Secondly, healthcare costs overall have increased at drastically lower rates since the ACA was passed. Your anecdotes and observations are in stark contrast to reality:

What Is Behind The Post-Recession Bend In The Health Care Cost Curve?

Broken_H said:
How can having insurance reduce or increase your health risk? It is completely impossible for a piece of paper to do so.
On the other hand, since that piece of paper (more technically, the repercussions of that piece of paper) increased the cost of getting adequate health care overall, it reduced the amount some wish to use health care. Which effectively increases their (personal) health risk.

The ACA saves lives. You don't have to take my word for it:

Obama’s claim the Affordable Care Act was a ‘major reason’ in preventing 50,000 patient deaths - The Washington Post

and:

Health insurance reduces deaths, new Massachusetts study shows - LA Times

A smart scientist like you should have figured out how to make a gauze patch and tape the eye shut to prevent blinking. You're not supposed to blink over a eyeball cut because it knocks the scab off.

Who treated you for that....kcearl?
Lol

Call me old fashioned jimi but I would still trust the opinion of my Barts Hospital consultant eye surgeon than a very likable but somewhat cavalier god fearing gun toting guitar painting handyman Redneck. Maybe I'm wrong but I'll take the risk..:)

Look after your eyes mate and stop being so angry all the time..;)

Your education system isn't so bad. It's still rated #5 on the Educate Every Child site (fairly unbiased) whereas we've fallen to #18.

There is nothing wrong with the general quality of the education you get here at mandatory level and it's still free and largely classless with some regional variation. Further and Higher education used to be free but no longer and thats where the investment in national skill level is being ignored or at best costed. When I did my degree and post grad it was all funded and generally the nation accepted that grants and subsidies were for the greater benefit. Now if my two boys were to go to Uni they would exit 3 or 4 years later with debts greater than our mortgage... I know everything has a cost but I still believe that some are best met collectively and education and knowledge is one of them...

There is nothing wrong with the general quality of the education you get here at mandatory level and it's still free and largely classless with some regional variation. Further and Higher education used to be free but no longer and thats where the investment in national skill level is being ignored or at best costed. When I did my degree and post grad it was all funded and generally the nation accepted that grants and subsidies were for the greater benefit. Now if my two boys were to go to Uni they would exit 3 or 4 years later with debts greater than our mortgage... I know everything has a cost but I still believe that some are best met collectively and education and knowledge is one of them...

Sorry for your loss man. Uni here has always been at cost. I suppose I might have stayed longer if it had been free. But I gave up after a year when I realized they were teaching me nothing. Well, I did learn a little French. :) Merci beaucoups!

in a recent meeting, according to my employer, their health care costs have gone up 17% since the ACA went into effect and they went out and shopped for new insurance. I don't use their insurance so I really don't know.

---------- Update ----------

actually, I really don't know anything and least of all why I come here?

So, you're of the mindset that any health care provider should charge any amount they wish...the sky is the limit....a million dollars for a single Bayer asprine....a billion dollars for an xray is totally acceptable because no price is too high?
Why?
no ..... this is because right-wingers don't want to allow ANY kind of controls to lower medical costs.
They continue to argue the free market will take care of it.
Well it doesn't and won't.
You've , in the past, pretty much argued the side of free markets ..... so under that line of thinking it's not gouging ..... it's how the free market works.
If there wasn't a market at that price he would lower it ......

And that's why we need to reform the healthcare system which, once again, in the past you've been way on the pubbies side against reforms and I can absolutely see you saying that someone who didn't take responsibility for protecting his eyes with safety gear deserved what he got.

Having said all that, I feel pretty sure you're react with righteous indignation as if I've said terrible things about you even though I haven't at all.

in a recent meeting, according to my employer, their health care costs have gone up 17% since the ACA went into effect and they went out and shopped for new insurance. I don't use their insurance so I really don't know.
at the same time other companies say costs have gone down ..... so who knows?

ummmm .... by covering preventive diagnostics like colonoscopies that people otherwise wouldn't get?

Economics and medicine are politics? Maybe they're involved in what politics does, but they are not politics. That's like saying that mentioning alcohol or guns is politics because ATF is a government agency...

It is a very fine line. We are discussing the medical systems between two different political systems which is inherently going to overlap politics. Kind of gray area, but the thrust is medical and economic, not the political system behind them.

LOL. If economics and "medicine" aren't politics...there is no politics.
This is pure caveness. Plain and simple. I don't understand how you don't see that.

LOL. If economics and "medicine" aren't politics...there is no politics.
This is pure caveness. Plain and simple. I don't understand how you don't see that.

Having said that, I don't really give a shit what is allowed or not. Just interested in seeing if there's any consistency in the moderating. I honestly don't mind if they ban politics. Most of you are douchebags, with stupid opinions!

Back