cut on my eye

I personally witnessed a shop foreman dig a piece of metal out of a coworkers eye with an xacto knife. That was awesome.

Once when working inside a B1 bomber, I smacked my finger with a hammer against the steel and my fingernail turned immediately blue. Went to the plant nurse, she heats up a pin, pop/squirt! Not the same has having something dug out my my eye, but it did hurt. :eek:

You're as full of shit as a Christmas turkey.

You just cant stop yourself can you jimi.. :laughings:

All I have pointed out that it's dumb to place a price on your eyesight. 7Your issue is with the healthcare system you have not the doctors and care workers, and that you always spin things away from how people post in response to your posts.

Have a nice day and look after your eyesight.

Finally...

Message to self....

Never eat Jimi's Christmas turkey..:)

Once when working inside a B1 bomber, I smacked my finger with a hammer against the steel and my fingernail turned immediately blue. Went to the plant nurse, she heats up a pin, pop/squirt! Not the same has having something dug out my my eye, but it did hurt. :eek:

I got a punctured cornia from a sloe thorn that sprung back whilst out walking the dogs. Sloe thorns here are about an inch long and sharp as needles.. It was excruciatingly painful for a few weeks and then for about a week every few months as the scab that results apparently gets blinked off quite easily before it heals properly and you are back to square one. Lasted for over a year and they were on the brink of doing surgery to repair it before it finally corrected itself. It was probably the most discomfort I have ever suffered and I've had quite few broken and damgaed body bits over the years. Doctors reconed I was about a mm from losing my eyesight..

Apparently the toe/fingernail nail thing with the needle like you had is quite common with footballers and dancers. I love bursting a good blister but under a nail....... No thanks.

Indeed. Apparently he stuffs his with poo. I myself favour a mixture of breadcrumbs, sausage meat, thyme, parsley, suet and egg.

I try different stuffing's each year but have generally settled on a variation of plum, suet, breadcrumbs, herbs and port. No shit though. Never thought to try it before.

I've had something similar happen. I had a sliver of steel about the size of a toothpick go under my fingernail all the way to the cuticle. The stab didn't hurt as much as the pressure building in there. When I finally got to it with some pliers and yanked it out, blood shot out like a fire hose. It was awesome, and quite relieving.

I've had something similar happen. I had a sliver of steel about the size of a toothpick go under my fingernail all the way to the cuticle. The stab didn't hurt as much as the pressure building in there. When I finally got to it with some pliers and yanked it out, blood shot out like a fire hose. It was awesome, and quite relieving.

I've had a fair few splinters get all the way in there. Luckily never had one that deep. Wenge and padauk are the worst timbers. You soon learn never to run your hands over the work until it's lacquered... a gentle fondle is all..:o

I got a punctured cornia from a sloe thorn that sprung back whilst out walking the dogs. Sloe thorns here are about an inch long and sharp as needles.. It was excruciatingly painful for a few weeks and then for about a week every few months as the scab that results apparently gets blinked off quite easily before it heals properly and you are back to square one. Lasted for over a year and they were on the brink of doing surgery to repair it before it finally corrected itself. It was probably the most discomfort I have ever suffered and I've had quite few broken and damgaed body bits over the years. Doctors reconed I was about a mm from losing my eyesight..

Apparently the toe/fingernail nail thing with the needle like you had is quite common with footballers and dancers. I love bursting a good blister but under a nail....... No thanks.

I bet that hurt like hell and for such a long time. It is amazing how fragile certain body parts are and yet some how, there aren't more debilitating injuries.

Yea, what I talked about compared to getting something in the eye, is kind of like, stumping your toe verses getting a foot cut off. :o

I bet that hurt like hell and for such a long time. It is amazing how fragile certain body parts are and yet some how, there aren't more debilitating injuries.

Yea, what I talked about compared to getting something in the eye, is kind of like, stumping your toe verses getting a foot cut off. :o

It wasn't the pain. Pain you can manage to a degree, at least us pussy type blokes try to, it was the constant discomfort. Imagine an eye full of sand 24/7 and unable to blink. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Before I would occasionally risk taking the eye protection off when I knew I should have it on just to get a better view. Never since.

---------- Update ----------

Yes, it never hurt so good.

and to think people pay money to be tortured worse than that. Mad world....

Wenge and padauk are the worst timbers. You soon learn never to run your hands over the work until it's lacquered... a gentle fondle is all..:o

Also Ekki (Azobe). A splinter of that stuff hurts like hell and goes almost instantly septic. Although you probably wouldn't come across it in luthiering.

The US healthcare system is f*cked. A million for an asprin? No, but go the hospital for a few days 'vacation' and see what the ycharge for one, or for a Band-Aid. It's all mostly about the insurance companies making huge profits.

Funny, I thought he was complaining about being gouged, but everyone interprets it as he's complaining about having to pay...

Just went through the same thing with my wife. Went to the doctor who said she needed a test at the hospital. Went to the hospital and they had us wait for 4 hours and then a doctor from the hospital looked at the note from the other doctor and said to go ahead and have the test run. She had the test done. The doctor charged us over $1000. The test was $4800 (after insurance). Hospital sent us another bill for other stuff. Total bill was well over $6k after insurance. For a test we could have scheduled, no emergency.
When I called the insurance carrier, they said that the treatment wasn't covered because it was Emergency Room. When we called the doctor and asked why he sent us to ER for a test that our insurance wouldn't cover (they SHOULD know), and was not an emergency, got the run around about needing the test done. Switched doctors. All in all, I agree with Mike about the new US healthcare system. Simply designed to make poor people poorer and middle class poor. The alternative IS to do it yourself, or just avoid doctors altogether, but we still HAVE to pay for ever more expensive insurance, whether we use it, need it or even want it...

Not sure what the turkey comment is about...:confused:

Also Ekki (Azobe). A splinter of that stuff hurts like hell and goes almost instantly septic. Although you probably wouldn't come across it in luthiering.

Thats Red ironwood from memory??? Mostly used for flooring and external construction. Not a lot of furniture or guitars in that stuff. The most common allergen I use is satinwood. Some are effected others not so much. I'm pretty much ok and never had a problem with any timber I've worked with luckily, and I've used a few over the years. I do get chronic hay fever when the things are still trees though...

Funny, I thought he was complaining about being gouged, but everyone interprets it as he's complaining about having to pay...

Err not really...

...................I have blue cross but it has a high deductible ($1100)
I get to the desk to pay and she says "that will be $305.00."
I was shocked....305 freaking dollars for him to look at it, wash it, put some salve on it and badage it?

Well, needless to say I wasn't going to go back there.

The next day I get a call from the receptionist asking when I was gonna be in. I told her " I'm not coming in. I think you gorged me on the bill. 305 dollars is ridiculous...my regular eye doctor did everything you guys did plus removed a tiny piece of metal that was embedded in my eye a whole back....he charged me $140.

She said. "Well, we charged you like someone who didn't have insurance and though it is a high deductible you do have blue cross....so we adjusted to the blue cross allowable charge and you have a $130 credit. The credit will cover your follow up visit and there should be no charge.

I go back and he, after being a smart ads about me skipping a day, looks at it and says . Since its Friday I'm going to put a flexable contact lense bandage in and prescribe eye drops instead of wrapping it.

I get to the desk and she says " that will be $95"
I ask what the deal it and the doctor says I had a credit of $130 and the visit was $130...but the flexible contact lense bandage was $95.

I looked it up in the net....you can buy a package of 6 flex contact lense badage for $57.

I guess I got screwed but it's the last time they will get the chance

Thats mostly bitchin about the cheque....

Not sure what the turkey comment is about...:confused:

Jimi gets a little carried away and forgets the cave is gone now...

Mostly we tolerate it cos he means well and he's hurting right now..:)

Back