custom footswitch help ......

I looked at the schematic for the Classic 30, and while it is possible to do a footswitch for the mid boost (the best choice would be to do it with a relay), it would be a real PITA, as the amp is made on a circuit board. With where it sits on the board, there is a real space challenge for the relay. Same issue for transistor switching.

Oh, and by the bay, that thing is FAR from being "all tube." I counted at least a half dozen semiconductors, even if you don't include the solid state rectifier. Not saying it's a bad amp (if you like, you like), but all tube it is NOT.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Bad ass dude.
K not to hijack the thread or anything, but after seeing this it has sparked a question to me. I'm pretty new to diy home mods and such, but tell me if this is possible. I have a Peavey Classic 30 in layaway at the moment. 30 watt all tube combo with two channels, sorta. Anyway, the dirty channel features a boost switch that boosts the mids. The pedal switch however is only good for switching channels, and I think the reverb. Is there anyway for me to make a pedal, or even buy a pedal that would allow the channel, reverb, and boost to be swithced independantly of each other? This would be very valuable to me, almost giving me three channels.
James

Did you get the Head or the combo?
although it has Four EL84s and three 12AX7s it also has SS circuitry which makes it a hybrid amp.
if you got the head you will need to be careful of which cabinet you get because I think its minimal impedance is 8 Ohm and 16 Ohm

I looked at the schematic for the Classic 30, and while it is possible to do a footswitch for the mid boost (the best choice would be to do it with a relay), it would be a real PITA, as the amp is made on a circuit board. With where it sits on the board, there is a real space challenge for the relay. Same issue for transistor switching.

Oh, and by the bay, that thing is FAR from being "all tube." I counted at least a half dozen semiconductors, even if you don't include the solid state rectifier. Not saying it's a bad amp (if you like, you like), but all tube it is NOT.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Did you get the Head or the combo?
although it has Four EL84s and three 12AX7s it also has SS circuitry which makes it a hybrid amp.
if you got the head you will need to be careful of which cabinet you get because I think its minimal impedance is 8 Ohm and 16 Ohm

lol sorry for not being clear earlier. I'm pretty new to tube amps, and it was my understanding that most tube amps now a days have an SS rectifier. As far as the rest, I had no idea. On GC's website and MF it is listed under tube and not hybrid. But yes I love the amp.

Rogue, I'm getting the combo. And thanks for pointing out its a hybrid. So, basically what you are saying is that an "all tube" amp contains: pre and post tubes, tube rectifier, and some sort of tube circuitry (I'll admit I've never heard of tube circuitry)?
Guess I need to do some research.
Thanks guys,
James

So, basically what you are saying is that an "all tube" amp contains: pre and post tubes, tube rectifier, and some sort of tube circuitry (I'll admit I've never heard of tube circuitry)?

It has whatever is needed for the circuit - it just doesn't have any transistors. I suppose you could get away with a solid state rectifier, though. Actually, now that I think of it, I can't think of any fixed bias amp that doesn't use a solid state rectifier for the bias voltage, at the very least. Old Tweed Champs have two tubes. An old SVT has at least 10 (can't remember everything).

Light

M.K. Gandhi

It has whatever is needed for the circuit - it just doesn't have any transistors. I suppose you could get away with a solid state rectifier, though. Actually, now that I think of it, I can't think of any fixed bias amp that doesn't use a solid state rectifier for the bias voltage, at the very least. Old Tweed Champs have two tubes. An old SVT has at least 10 (can't remember everything).

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Thanks for the info sir.

Back