custom footswitch help ......

Wireneck

I just bought an Engl E609 Ritchie Blackmore model amp. The amp sounds fantastic but I have already come across one slight problem.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...ore-Signature-100W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481519

Engl claims the amp is a 4 channel but I really think of it as a 2 channel with two different gain settings and 2 master volumes. Not really a problem except for the fact that I want to use the lo gain setting on the clean channel and the hi gain setting on the lead channel. I originally planned to make a footswitch that would utilize the TRS footswitch jacks on the amp but then it occurred to me that it would require two foot presses. One to switch from hi gain to lo gain and a 2nd to swap from the lead channel to the clean channel.

The way I understand it is that you would have
one switch lo gain/hi gain
and another switching Clean/Lead

so.............Engl also sells this http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Engl-Z5-Footswitch?sku=421552 which utilizes the 9 pin sub d connector port on the amp. This allows you to individually switch to any of the modes as well as switch a few other things but it cost over 200 dollars. My question is ....can't I replicate this using a standard 9 pin d-sub connector and some cable? My main question...I won't have the wiring schematic so I will have to figure out the pin out by trial and error. Is there any chance I can harm the amp by touching the wrong wires together on the footswitch port? Just thinking right now....any thoughts or opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks Roguetitan. I had no idea they would have a manual for a footswitch lol. I guess what I really need is for someone who owns one to open it up and snap a picture for me. I believe I can put something together and save my 200 bucks lol.
I am guessing that there is some sort of common wire that all the switches are switching but I haven't ever built a switch for an amp like this.

THIS is likely more complex than you need, but would work.

He is showing it as effects loops, but there is no reason you can't just have one side of the relay going to ground, and use it as a channel switch.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

its not worth it man. that pedal isn't a bad deal, really. it will work much better than anything you could make, and it has a warranty.

Light...thanks I think I have it figured out. Your link knocked me out of my haze of ideas haha. This is way simpler than how I was looking at it. I don't really need to switch within the 4 channel modes, I just need to toggle two at once. The fact that there were two sets of 1/4" footswitch jacks was throwing me off. I just need to tie both sets of wires onto the same switch. One press turns them on, one press turns them off.

No sympathy here. Any guy with the stones to parade a Engl E609 Ritchie Blackmore in front of me better have the cajones to stomp on the only appropriate floor pedal for it too! Save your money and buy the damn thing!

You guys are ruthless! Yes I have the cash to own the amp but geeze...I don't know how to build the damn thing. The footswitch is a completely different story. $20.00 worth of parts this morning at the local electronics store and I am already in business.
Besides I have owned amps that were just as or more expensive and they all included the foot switch.
Either way the amp ROCKS and now it is switching just like I want it to as well. Thanks for the help and comments....

Neatened up a little bit.....doesn't look nearly as cool as the Engl switcher but it only cost me $30 as opposed to $200. I could have made mine switch exactly like theirs but I didn't foresee me ever using those extra switches.
Middle switch swaps from Lead Channel to Clean and at the same time swaps the amp from Hi-gain to lo-gain. So I am using Hi Gain Lead for my distortion and Lo-Gain clean for my clean. Combined it on one switch to avoid the need for a double step.
Left red switch engages the countour switch on the amp (mid boost) and Red Switch on the Right switches between Master volume A and Master Volume B. I still need to add an Led on the Contour Switch (not one on the face of the amp) otherwise I think I am good to go until I can afford the Engl switcher.

Thanks again for all the help and comments guys!

Attachments

• 100_2972resize.jpg
    100_2972resize.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 43
OK, have to admit I'm really jealous. You sure have little feet!

Nope thats why I used the different types of switches. The one in the middle which will be used the most is tall enough that even when you stand on it, you can't depress the other 2 red ones. To stomp the red ones which won't be used very often, you just step off to the side of the pedal. Not a big deal at all.

Nope thats why I used the different types of switches. The one in the middle which will be used the most is tall enough that even when you stand on it, you can't depress the other 2 red ones. To stomp the red ones which won't be used very often, you just step off to the side of the pedal. Not a big deal at all.

Bad ass dude.
K not to hijack the thread or anything, but after seeing this it has sparked a question to me. I'm pretty new to diy home mods and such, but tell me if this is possible. I have a Peavey Classic 30 in layaway at the moment. 30 watt all tube combo with two channels, sorta. Anyway, the dirty channel features a boost switch that boosts the mids. The pedal switch however is only good for switching channels, and I think the reverb. Is there anyway for me to make a pedal, or even buy a pedal that would allow the channel, reverb, and boost to be swithced independantly of each other? This would be very valuable to me, almost giving me three channels.
James

Hey didgijimmy.....taking a quick glance at the manual it appears that the footswitch will only operate lead/normal channel and reverb on/off. I am sure you could modify it to switch other things but this would involve internal amp mods which I personally wouldn't recommend. In my case...... all of the things I wanted to switch were footswitch selectable already but only by using the 9 pin din connector floorboard that they sell. Someone with more knowledge of that amp/mods might be able to help you out.

Hey didgijimmy.....taking a quick glance at the manual it appears that the footswitch will only operate lead/normal channel and reverb on/off. I am sure you could modify it to switch other things but this would involve internal amp mods which I personally wouldn't recommend. In my case...... all of the things I wanted to switch were footswitch selectable already but only by using the 9 pin din connector floorboard that they sell. Someone with more knowledge of that amp/mods might be able to help you out.

I kinda figured as much. I love the amp but can't figure out why the boost wouldn't be on the pedal. guess Ill be standing close to the amp lol. Thanks for the input.
Also, if anyone else has a different idea, or knows how I could mod it to do this please let me know.
James

James,
if you are willing to open up the amp you can probably get to the contacts or terminals where the boost switch is connected. I don't have any idea if there is point to point wiring or if it is all soldered on a PCB though......the easiest thing to do would be to parallel that push buttons wires to a switch on a footswitch....basically extending it from the front of the amp down to the floor. I of course have never been inside a classic thirty. There are dangers involved with going inside a tube amp.......

James,
if you are willing to open up the amp you can probably get to the contacts or terminals where the boost switch is connected. I don't have any idea if there is point to point wiring or if it is all soldered on a PCB though......the easiest thing to do would be to parallel that push buttons wires to a switch on a footswitch....basically extending it from the front of the amp down to the floor. I of course have never been inside a classic thirty. There are dangers involved with going inside a tube amp.......

Right, I follow what you are saying, and seeing as this is a new amp that's not even in my home yet, I'll have someone who knows what they are doing do it if I decide to. Thank you for the instruction though. It may be simpler for me to just buy a stompbox and boost it that way, I just love the natural tone it has already. If I ever do the above mod I'll be sure to post the process.
james

Back