Cover Song question...

nomer said:
Playing Original recordings over the internet would fall under broadcasting. This creates a whole new set of rules. You would have to shell out your $2500.00 to Sound Exchange (RIAA) and also register with and pay your dues at ASCAP, BMI and SESAC accordingly. It really cost more than it is worth. I run an internet radio station for awhile and it was just too overbearing with all the fees you have to pay.

Mike

Hang on, if you are running a low key internet radio station and only play music by unsigned artists, and those artists first have to give their consent to their music being used without a fee, wouldn't that cover the legal side off? Why would you have to pay RIAA or whatever? There are no royalties due to anyone.

glynb said:
Hang on, if you are running a low key internet radio station and only play music by unsigned artists, and those artists first have to give their consent to their music being used without a fee, wouldn't that cover the legal side off? Why would you have to pay RIAA or whatever? There are no royalties due to anyone.
RIAA does not deal with independent artist. If you have an agreement with an independent artist, you are 1000% legal. You are 100% correct. That is why I stated earlier to stick with doing your own stuff or, at the least, use other independents material with their permission.

I went through all of this a year or so ago when I put up a shoutcast radio station. I had to pay Sound Exchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, Harry Fox, etc. It run into so much money that I could no longer afford to do it. It doesn't matter if what you distribute is FREE, they could care less. You still have to pay to use published material. And let me add, they will come after you with a vengence if you DO NOT PAY.

So, as you suggest glynb, the best and CHEAPEST way is to do your own stuff or get permission from and Independent. There are several sites that only deal with independent artist for that sole reason.

Mike

I am not sure where you are but over here in the UK, if you are doing a small
run of 500 and not a compilation (not allowed to use the same artist more than once) the cost is quite small around £80-90, as the copyright law is written so anybody can understand not..... I think the safest way is to spend a small amount to save guard any possible law suit..

Hope this helps.

Mal

Ok, so you have to have permission to record a cover song because every copy you sell, the author of the song is entitled to a percentage of the sale, right? What about when you play a cover song live? After all, You got paid for the performance, so does the author and publishing company get a percentage of your pay? Can they sue you? I'm just trying to understand the legal side of this.
What if you didn't get paid for the performance, and you gave the CD's containing the cover song on it away for free? No money exchanged hands so what's the problem? Like the initial post, If he's not charging any money, and he's certanly not broadcasting it, then what's the problem?

Back