Cover of Metallicas "The Memory Remains"

They both still sound thin. It's just the second one now has the boxy sounding guitar with some fizz added on top.

The whole mix is snare and guitar.

HangDawg said:
They both still sound thin. It's just the second one now has the boxy sounding guitar with some fizz added on top.

The whole mix is snare and guitar.

IDK I could tell a world of difference between the two in the car, on a stero and on an ipod :confused:

I am not denying that the quality isn't the best I am more than certain our recording methods arnt up to snuff.

I even unplugged my speakers and compared the woofer to the actual metallica recording and it seemed nearly the same to me.

The guitar is boxy....I thought that was the point? :confused: But I don't listen to shit loads of metal. I actually liked the guitar tone for this particular genre. I still think the snares a bit too high up. If memory serves, the issue of too little bass seems to be a recurring thing with Metallica!

Is the harmony guitar in the solo (approx two minutes in) a bit high up compared to the main hook?

I like this alot.

TelePaul said:
The guitar is boxy....I thought that was the point? :confused: But I don't listen to shit loads of metal. I actually liked the guitar tone for this particular genre. I still think the snares a bit too high up. If memory serves, the issue of too little bass seems to be a recurring thing with Metallica!

Is the harmony guitar in the solo (approx two minutes in) a bit high up compared to the main hook?

I like this alot.

Yes I liked it better that way, and prefered the main hook be in the distance so to speak with the reverb.

Yea there isnt supposed to be bass thats too audible in this song... if thats what hang is getting at. I thought he meant there were no frequencies. Thats why I was confused, I even made a point to boost the sub bass and bass freqs :confused:

The guitar I think is a case of shit in, shit out :p It could be nicer.

NTK88 said:
Yes I liked it better that way, and prefered the main hook be in the distance so to speak with the reverb.

Yea there isnt supposed to be bass thats too audible in this song... if thats what hang is getting at. I thought he meant there were no frequencies. Thats why I was confused, I even made a point to boost the sub bass and bass freqs :confused:

The guitar I think is a case of shit in, shit out :p It could be nicer.

Well I think with music you have to judge everything by its own merits...not every song in the world is going to have a ot of low end...I think people would expect it in a band situation; I always figured every Metallica song had at least one 'chugga-chugga' E5 bit. But then again I know shit all about metal. One thing you might bear in mind is that the easiest and arguably best way to change the timbre of an instrument is to alter the mid frequencies; if you've 'scooped' them, it might be worth leaving em in and seeing how the mix sounds.

TelePaul said:
Well I think with music you have to judge everything by its own merits...not every song in the world is going to have a ot of low end...I think people would expect it in a band situation; I always figured every Metallica song had at least one 'chugga-chugga' E5 bit. But then again I know shit all about metal. One thing you might bear in mind is that the easiest and arguably best way to change the timbre of an instrument is to alter the mid frequencies; if you've 'scooped' them, it might be worth leaving em in and seeing how the mix sounds.

On the center guitar track (which is the most audible one) I have 150 with a 3db boost, and 800 / 1200 with 5 db boosts.

The left and right guitar tracks which were lower in the mix and meant to give a little more color and strength to the guitars 31 HZ with a 7 db boost, 350 HZ with a 5 db boost, and 1600 HZ with a 3 db boost.

NTK88 said:
On the center guitar track (which is the most audible one) I have 150 with a 3db boost, and 800 / 1200 with 5 db boosts.

The left and right guitar tracks which were lower in the mix and meant to give a little more color and strength to the guitars 31 HZ with a 7 db boost, 350 HZ with a 5 db boost, and 1600 HZ with a 3 db boost.

Well, first off +7 db at 31Hz for a guitar does nothing but add rumble. More often than not, you should be high passing the guitar anywhere from 60 to 100 depending on how much crap is in there. I wouldn't even add +7 @ 31Hz to a bass guitar or kick drum.

Some will tell you that if you have to add more than +- 3 db with an eq, you're better off retracking it and getting it right with mic choice/placement.

You should learn subtractive eq. It simply works better in most cases.

Last edited:
HangDawg said:
Well, first off +7 db at 31Hz for a guitar does nothing but add rumble. More often than not, you should be high passing the guitar anywhere from 60 to 100 depending on how much crap is in there. I would even add +7 @ 31Hz to a bass guitar or kick drum.

Some will tell you that if you have to add more than +- 3 db with an eq, you're better off retracking it and getting it right with mic choice/placement.

You should learn subtractive eq. It simply works better in most cases.

Ill test it out next time I mix something :cool:

NTK88 said:

I'd experiment with the amps EQ and micing befor I 'fix it in th mix'.

Wow, a great cover of a great song. There's certainly nothing in your mix that jumps out at me as a problem. It does seem like the mids have been scooped a little bit more than necessary, and I ended up with a similar tone when I did the same thing.

Excellent recording though, do you plan to get vocals on it?

P-J said:
Wow, a great cover of a great song. There's certainly nothing in your mix that jumps out at me as a problem. Like the above poster is does seem like the mids have been scooped a little bit more that necessary, and I ended up with a similar tone when I did the same thing.

Excellent recording though, do you plan to get vocals on it?

Well if my bands plan works out, we will have a singer soon, and be writing new material, and doing shows by the end of the year :D

Tele just how much EQing is actualy done in the mix?
Do the guitars usually sound pretty damn close to the record?

Hey pretty cool stuff. Used to like to try and play metallica a while ago.

You need more bass in the mix. Not bass guitar, but the guitars are really airy. It sounded to me like that came out of the amp though, like you were playing through your amp with a lot more highs than lows and mids. The lows and Mids would really fill it out. The drums sound very dry. I think you could help the drums out a lot by putting some reverb on them and playing with the levels a bit.

Dont get ahead of yourself, you know next to nothing about mastering. Not trying to be rude, as I know nearly nothing about mastering. What youre trying to say is that you're learning about mixing...

Cool stuff, keep making mixes and shredding that axe? does anyone say that any more?

NTK88 said:
Tele just how much EQing is actualy done in the mix?
Do the guitars usually sound pretty damn close to the record?

I know you didn't ask me and I have limited experience but I've found that backing off a frequency before recording sounds quite a lot different to backing it off after it's recorded, especially the crispy mids.

P-J said:
I know you didn't ask me and I have limited experience but I've found that backing off a frequency before recording sounds quite a lot different to backing it off after it's recorded, especially the crispy mids.

hmm well I think Im heading over to our little "studio" today, and I talked with the guitarist about testing out some stuff. He told me he didnt really do any tests he just turned on the amp and threw a mic there. That explains alot :D

NTK88 said:
hmm well I think Im heading over to our little "studio" today, and I talked with the guitarist about testing out some stuff. He told me he didnt really do any tests he just turned on the amp and threw a mic there. That explains alot :D

Ah! That's the mistake I've been making. The comments in my Hell March thread have lead my to monitoring through headphones and noticed that the mic placement makes huge differences with only small movements :)

P-J said:
Ah! That's the mistake I've been making. The comments in my Hell March thread have lead my to monitoring through headphones and noticed that the mic placement makes huge differences with only small movements :)

For the record when I record my drums I do checks!

Back