Jackson guitars
Ariana Bass
Crate guitar head/cab

Tascam DP-01fx
Peavy Mixer
3 Shure SM-57 and 1 Beta-57 mic

Adobe Audition

----------------------------------

This is my 1st mix using Adobe, and probably my 10th song I have mixed.

Couple quick things -

The guitars are way up front, as well as the snare. I didn't hear the bass until around the 2:00 mark. You need some more kick in there. Maybe some definition to the guitar sound. It is fairly muddy, with a buzzy high end.

Hope that helps.

ps - I am not familiar with the original, so maybe there is no bass until the 2:00 mark. (I'm old, and stopped listening to Metallica after the black album - :D )

The drums annoy me...they don't sit right at all. And for some reason sound kinda...fake...just the snare fills. I'm not ragging on ya, it's one of my fav Metallica riffs. I agree with NL5, I think when the bass comes in it comes in a little strong. The level of the second solo is much better than the first IMO...then the 3rd solo seems to come up again...then you have the arpeggiated outro, and the levels seem to move about all over the place.

I like the instrumentation, it's cool, you seem to have it nailed performance-wise. What I would do is fix the drums first and use them as a refernece for your guitars. I like the verse guitar sound, but when you introduce the solos, try and keep it consistent. Just my opinion.

Good performance. I like the gtr tone. Kudos for using real drums! They sound like they're in a different space than the gtrs though, so they need some tweaking IMO. The gtr parts are well done in rhythm and articulation, but the lines get pulled out of tune a bit.

Pretty good job. Could use more work in the volume levels, as mentioned, but nice guitar sound and playing as well. Too bad you don't have great vocals to go along with it...then it'd really be awesome.

I remixed it today.
Do you think its better?

Its on there as Memory remixed.
PS: I know the intro is off I have to fix that, and the little extra note during the silence :D

Remixed again, and I think I finally got the basics of mixing and mastering down now that I learned how to properly use the multi band compressors, parametric EQ and limiters. Also I finally learned that hard way that there are really no rules or guidelines for EQ usage, compressor usage etc. :D

Its on there as remixed again, I deleted the old remix.

Definitely improved over the first mix. Much better balance. Now lets hear some depth! :D

NTK88 said:
Hmm what do you mean by depth?

I think - though I'm not sure - It's some space and perceived depth in the mix; panning, reverbs or delays to create the impression of '3D' sounds. You can do this in several ways, whether it's processing certain elements or changing mic technique to take in more of the room. I could be wrong aout all this though.

HangDawg said:
There's still no low end. I got the sub cranked.

Your're joking right?
You must have a crappy sub because mine is overloaded if I turn my sub all the way up.

:confused:

NTK88 said:
Your're joking right?
You must have a crappy sub because mine is overloaded if I turn my sub all the way up.

:confused:

Nope, not kidding. Describe your mixing environment. I would venture to say you have some issues with your room as the mix is low end light. The guitars are lacking low end chug and are pretty brittle. The bass guitar, which I think is in there, could just as easily been removed all together as you can't hear it.

HangDawg said:
Nope, not kidding. Describe your mixing environment. I would venture to say you have some issues with your room as the mix is low end light. The guitars are lacking low end chug and are pretty brittle. The bass guitar, which I think is in there, could just as easily been removed all together as you can't hear it.

IDK I tested the mix in my car, my computer, a bose, a boom box, and 2 stero systems and they all produce balanced low end for me.

I mix in my bed room which is about 17x15 feet. 2 speakers and a sub woofer.

NTK88 said:
IDK I tested the mix in my car, my computer, a bose, a boom box, and 2 stero systems and they all produce balanced low end for me.

I mix in my bed room which is about 17x15 feet. 2 speakers and a sub woofer.

Do you have bass trapping in your bedroom? If not get some. Are you mixing with the sub on? Don't. Probably why this mix is bass shy.

[edit]
After further review. I may just be the crappy bass guitar sound, or lack there of.

HangDawg said:
Do you have bass trapping in your bedroom? If not get some. Are you mixing with the sub on? Don't. Probably why this mix is bass shy.

[edit]
After further review. I may just be the crappy bass guitar sound, or lack there of.

IDK I can hear everything fine no matter where I play it so far :(

You are listening to the remixed right?

NTK88 said:
IDK I can hear everything fine no matter where I play it so far :(

You are listening to the remixed right?

Yes......

Whatever. Forget I said anything. You're right. The bass guitar kicks ass.

I just listened to the other mix. It's sounds better than the second. You probably screwed the second one up with the muti-band compression you claimed to have figured out.

HangDawg said:
Yes......

Whatever. Forget I said anything. You're right. The bass guitar kicks ass.

Woah where did I say that? I must have typed it in invisible letters.
I also wasn't aware you were THE source for everything recording.

I am just confused because no matter where I play the mix it sounds thicker than my 1st one. Thats whole reason I tried to re-mix it.

I played the 1st one and it sounded fine on my computer speakers, but on conventional stereos, cars, boom boxes, cd players, ipods it sounded really thin.

Back