Contemporary Anti-christian Inspiration.

S8-N

..|.. Part-time Antichrist ..|..
This is my latest venture...
Music, lyrics, and lead vocals by my drummer... Yes, you dont have to hear my lame-ass GWAR vocals this time...
www.mp3.com/Mofocult
The song is "Burnin' for baby jesus"

I like that catchy seven-beat rhythm. I think his vocals should be a bit more up front.
They get the GWAR label anyway.
Was that you on back-up vocals?
Have you checked out the
David Fiuczynski/John Medeski Project?
Or The Michal Urbaniak Band?

That was me doin the screetchy ultra-distorted "BURNING" vocal.
I havent heard of those bands...
BTW this song was mixed in Vegas Pro, although I had to record the tracks in Cool Edit Pro, convert them to 16 bit, then open them in Vegas to mix... What a pain in the ass.
I think I have a fully functional Vegas Pro now, although it doesnt want to work with my 32 bit files, which is what CEP uses with my WAVE... CEP will convert them to 16 bit but not 24... Which is the limit for Vegas... Cant we all just get along???
The vocals sounded very up front in the wav file but the transition to MP3 did some strange things to this mix... I havent had that problem in the past...

Schmoakin!

I love the guitar fills right around 2:00. The kick drum sounds killer this time, just the right amount of click and punch, how did you record it? I thought it was just slightly sloppy in the begining but it was really tight as soon as the vocals came in. But I can dig that too!

Kick= AT PRO 25...Art DUAL MP... Front head removed... Foam mattress pad lining the inside of drum... Pillow with 10 lb dumbell weight on top.
I usually add a SM57 but I didn't this time.

The voices don't bother me like they used to. I think I'm getting used to this kind of music. I like this one a lot. Musically it's got a lot goin' for it. The mix is superb. I particularly like the panning left and right on both the vocals and the guitar. Wish you'd post the lyrics tho, you know I'm a word perv....

I'll see if I can get him to write 'em down...
This vocal style is in aquired taste... When I first started listening to heavy shit I couldn't stomach the vocals... Now it bothers me to hear anyone actually try to "sing"... With a few exceptions...(Patton)

Simply this is by far the best mix that I've heared from you - the drums sounded heaps better, dare I say near perfect this time around. I just wish you could make your songs a little longer - I'm pretty sure you've said in the past that you don't like long songs but I always feel that when I'm listening to your songs, just as I'm starting to get into it the song ends. But as I like longish "epic" kinda songs then I'm always gonna think this. Excellent work though!!!

Actually, there's one kinda wispery line in there that reminded me of Patton, more in the delivery than the sound. Maybe I've just got a tractor in my balls today, I dunno.

S8-N- I always have problems getting pedal noises from a front-headless-kick. I guess you don't have to deal with little wimpy interludes between the heavy stuff- where it gets annoying. Got any grease down there in hell that will do the job where WD-40 fails?

I get some annoying low freq spring noises but to my knowledge you cant do much about spring noise. I dont like noise gates but I will open a kickdrum track in Cool Edit Pro and manually de-amplify the space in-between beats.
These mixes are rough... Before I burn final versions to a disk I will have to manually edit the kick and snare... Thats gonna be fun.

Great sounding mix.

Along with gibs, I would like to read the lyrics to the tune.

I must admit that hearing your songs piss me off sometimes... I want to kidnap your drummer for a weekend... for purely musical reasons of course.
Did you play guitar and bass on this one?

Yeah, I did the guitar and bass. If you kidnapped Todd you'd be paying ME to come and rescue YOU from HIM... He's a DICK!!! Just kidding.

Like that one S8-N. Better job on the kick for sure. Really like the 7 and 9 transitions. What are you using for guitar? Miced? Good stuff.

S8-N:

Your mixes are getting noticeably better with each post. I enjoyed this song-I really liked the rythym guitar part. Though, I think the bass needs to be a little louder in the mix; it seems to kinda get lost behind the guitar..maybe competing for the same frequency as something else? It seems to be ok when the only the bass and drums are playing though. If you're using Vegas, it's really easy to control this with a volume envelope.

I'm with doc on the rythym. One of the many disadvantages (for me) of working with software drums is the difficulty in creating non-conventional beats. I just haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

dmc

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dmcsilva:
S8-N:

Your mixes are getting noticeably better with each post. I enjoyed this song-I really liked the rythym guitar part. Though, I think the bass needs to be a little louder in the mix; it seems to kinda get lost behind the guitar..maybe competing for the same frequency as something else? It seems to be ok when only the bass and drums are playing though. If you're using Vegas, it's really easy to control this with a volume envelope.

I'm with doc on the rythym. One of the many disadvantages (for me) of working with software drums is the difficulty in creating non-conventional beats. I just haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

dmc
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya run it through an ART tube pre and it takes a lot of that digital lazer edge off it and warms it up some. I think that the sound on my solo is the best lead sound I have ever gotten... I'd swear it was a tube amp.

Pretty cool. Vocals could come up a bit in the mix, as studioviols will be sure to point out.:rolleyes:

Not as good as "Mangled" though. I'll give it 17 out of 23 stars.

Back