Confused, in need of help?

Benreturns said:
Nah, i cant quite get my big toe to pluck the right strings yet!

Haven't had a chance to download that link yet... but thy will be done. When you put your stuff on there is there anything to protect/copywrite? Tho i suppse the fact that you posted it on a certain date holds a certain amount of proof that the song is yours!

I was referring to drumming (Kick and Snare with your right foot and hand: closed and open Hi-Hats with your left foot and hand (unless, of course, you're left handed)).

I'm not too hot on copyright laws.

Yeah i can play drums ok, but i find it easier to mic it up this way and also a kick drum booms a bit loud in our semi. I find im using keyboard sample kick drums alot more too. Its smoother and easier to pick the right sound.

A boomy Kick could be the result of either drum or room issues. Or both.

How big is the Kick (diameter)? The bigger it is the more likely it is to be boomy. How tight are the heads tuned? You might be surprised to find that loosening one of the tension rods or just lowering the tuning of the heads will help to eliminate some of the boom and bring out more of the attack. Do you damp? Is the kit close to the wall or to a corner (or both)?

You do know how to tune your drums; don't you ;)

You've caught me red handed. I've never tuned a drum kit in my life!

Another issue is i havent got enough mics to mic the whole thing up properly, and a drum machine gives you that contemporary sound that you can imagine getting radio play, plus if i cock up the drums when playing lvie i have to go back to the begining.

I think the room could be an issue tho. I have recently come by a few rolls of carpet (excess from my gfs parents new lounge) and said - il have those. Im thinking i could staple the buggers around the rooms walls? Might help with deadening the rooms acoustics a bit.

Good idea. But don't deaden TOO much. Your best bet would be to create some Bass Traps in the corners (there should be stuff on-line about DIY Bass Traps). And DEFINITELY learn to tune them. It'll make a world of difference.

I have mics. :D

Whats your equipment list Mark? And how do you hook it up and record/run it?
I have my 488mkII, Monitors, 1x large diaphram condenser, 1 X dynamic mic, Compressor, multi effects unit, a 2 track cassette deck for mixdown. Soon have aload of carpet on the walls too.

Any suggestions for something i might be missing? Im getting a Tascam CD-RW700 soon to make CD's.

You need to pleat the carpet so that it acts as a diffusor.

I have:

• [*]1 Tascam 388 Ministudio (all-in-one eight track recorder plus eight channel mixer)
    [*]1 Alesis 3630 Stereo/Dual Mono Compressor
    [*]1 Zoom 1201 Reverb/FX unit
    [*]1 Midiman Audio Buddy D.I. Bix/Pre-Amp
    [*]1 Sennheiser MD421-U5 dynamic microphone
    [*]1 AKG D321 dynamic microphone
    [*]1 Audio-Technica ATM25 dynamic microphone
    [*]1 Electro-Voice EV635A dynamic microphone
    [*]1 Beyerdynamic M99 dynamic microphone
    [*]2 Beyerdynamic M201 dynamic microphones
    [*]2 Behringer ECM8000 omnidirectionel electret condenser microphones

Plus three cheap guitars (2 electric, 1 acoustic), a cheap bass, a Vox Pathfinder amp, an obsolete drum machine, a casio keyboard that needs replacing, and an old Analog echo unit (Bucket Brigade rather than tape).

What I don't have are enough mic stands or cables. I keep meaning to do something about that, but I keep being broke :(

Last edited:
Hooking up is easy. The multi-track and mixer are already hooked up by default. It's just a matter of plugging a mic (or the AB if I'm recording a guitar direct or need the Phantom Power for the Behringers) into a channel Input, assigning the channel to one of the 4 pairs of Busses, using the pan control to refine selection down to either the odd or even buss and then arming the appropriate track (So, for example, I might want to record on Track 1: which means engaging Buss Assign 1 & 2 then panning left to send the signal to Buss 1 and then pushing up the Odd PGM Master fader and then arming Track 1).

The 3630 is usually hooked up to the Channel Access Send and Receive Jacks when tracking, or between the RCA Stereo Outputs and my Yamaha cassette deck (which I should have mentioned above) when mixing down.

The 1201 is fed by the Effects send and comes back into the mix either via spare Channels or the appropriate PGM Inputs (when doing a bounce. I like bouncing :D ) or the Effects Return Jacks at mixdown.

Well i have one mic stand which is fine for me cause i just do one thing at a time.
Wold you recomend any good pre-amps? One specifically for vocals woth vocals effects/enhancers?

Great! Between us we can set up a magnificent THREE mics :D

Pre-Amps? I've no idea. I only bought my Audio Buddy so I could use my 3630 with my 414 (no inserts on the 414). Maybe the DMP3.

So Mark, you really are the mic-MAN!

Yes, in most cases, you'll need a stand for each mic. I know you're in Leic., but just shop the sales, if possible, or maybe shop online. On sale, you may get a standard tripod boom stand for about $20, US, but that's a sale-priced item that you'll have to watch for,... sometimes coming as packaged with a budget mic, like an SM57. Anyway, I have an abundance of mic stands, and they're important, so watch the sales.

BTW, I could probably stand to score another 2 or 3 SM57's, since I'm contemplating another live-in-studio session with a drummer, [drums, piano, vocal, will take about 6 mics: 3-on drums, 2-on piano, and 1-on vocal].

Oops, I guess I got off topic again!

Anyway, you guys are great. Anyone who sports a 488mkII and a 388, are alright in my book! I have both, but you knew that!

Analog rules! Yeah!

Okay, chorus: 'Yeah, yeah, yeah,... Yeah, yeah, yeah,... oooooh!'

;)

Studio Spares has some stands for £10 which are supposed to be okay. The problem is I can't even afford that at the moment (long term unemployed with debts) and all the ones I see on ebay tend to go for way over that.

I am trying to raise cash for stands and cables through selling some old books on ebay, but that takes time :(

Hey guys...

I've heard the SM57 mentioned quite frequently and on ebay they go for around £40. Whats the crack with them? They seem quite popular!

Ive been shopping online with Turnkey.com for a few items, but there are so many delivery delays im thinking of trying Studio Spares for my next item (Tascam CD-WR700).

Ps mark: Cash flow probs suck dont they? Grrr.. curse my salary! Guess we'd all love to write a smash hit, but we need to make the demo's first and need the equipment. Nasty business this!
What kind of cables you after Mark?

Next gig you go to have a quick shufty at the mics on stage: especially on amps and drums. 80% of the time they'll be 57s.

I need 6 XLR to XLR cables and a 3 pin Tuchel to XLR adaptor. I guess I could save up and buy a 120 metre drum of two strand cable but I'm not sure which brand or make to get.

I've never heard anything good about Turnkey.

Sorry mate havent got any cables like that spare (i have 1 XLR cable for my condenser) cause i was thinking i could swap you for that split/insert cable. I just have a shitload of mono 1/4" jack cables.

Turnkey - cheapest prices ive actually found, but the next day delivery thing is a laff. Ive not had one thing the 'next day' and waited upto 2 months for my Zoom Multi effects unit.

2 Months! :eek:

That's extracting the urine.

There'll be a bit of a delay with the cable I'm afraid. I appear to be broke until the end of the week :(

Unless I can persuade a friend of mine that a daytrip to Loughborough would be fun ;) If I can would there be anyone in to take delivery?

Back