Compressing Vocals While Recording?

Divorce her and marry a better singer....

I know, I know, it's an extreme option. Just putting it out there for consideration.:laughings:

Telling your wife to learn something is not usually a good idea. :eek:
Just get someone else to tell her...or find an article about it. No matter how much you know about anything, even if it's what you do for a living, it's never the truth until she reads it somewhere or hears it from an "authority" on the subject. Until that happens, you're stupid.

:D

....it's never the truth until she reads it somewhere or hears it from an "authority" on the subject. Until that happens, you're stupid.

:D

Why is that with so many women?
When you are invovled with them...they always prefer to take someone else's word for the same thing you're telling them. :D

It's a part pride, part gullibillity thing. And also the fact that your woman might just think you do know sweet Felicity Arkwright {ie, nothing of any great relevance} !

Wow, sorry for the delay coming back to this. Thanks for all the replies!!

To ido1957 - that is what I was trying to do - insert an outboard compressor - but the signal chain is: voice-mic-interface (no insert - just a Fast Track) - computer. There isn't anywhere obvious to put a compressor without getting a separate pre, which sounds like an awesome idea actually. I might try that. Also - there were some excellent ideas about using two mics (though room sound difference might be an issue) and/or having multiple takes at different levels.

Mic technique is great but it's just one more thing for her to worry about while recording. Some of the music is pop with VERY large dynamic range. One of her songs is reminiscent of Avril Lavigne and Alanis Morrisette with very soft verses and then explosively loud, full-voice belting for the choruses. But I think with some combination of the advice you've given me, we can make things work now.

Thanks again!

Ryan

Back