Child

loved the groove, the performance,mix, and the arrangement. 'gonna keep it and pick with it if ya dont mind. The wa guitar was fascinating, loved it and the tones. The only thing I didnt care for was that kick. It sounded like it was trying hard to be mean but it lacked some meat in it, like maybe too wide a notch.

nice to hear something by you.. nice vibe to this song.. good vocals too.. I would like to have heard more vocals and they seemed a bit low.. there is some serious hiss most noticeable in the intro and outro and quiet parts.. the mix sounds a bit too crispy, especially the drums and guitars.. the guitars sound a bit brittle to me.. almost direct sounding.. the drums are a bit too upfront.. I would try to hide them a bit because they have an earlier drum machine sound.. this is a good tune.. nice writing!

btw - I recognized your avatar immediately.. it's my favorite game of all time.. I'm finishing Code Veronica right now..

Cy.....cool tune man....pretty spacey......bass needs warmth man......cymbals need chillin'......kick need ooomph......vox are tres' cool....a little lower in V at the harder/faster parts perhaps...I dunno....I am an idiot... don't listen to me....I know not what I say....

BTW.....what is the average windspeed of an unladedened Sparrow?

You rawk! man!

CYROKK,

By no means do I consider myself a fan of metal.

But I figured since you gave me a listen, I would return the favor.

I was not expecting to like this song, I was wrong.

Right from the start the awesome sound, cool, cool grove.

I really wish I could get my songs to sound as good as yours.

The lead guitar work makes my heart pound. BEAUTIFULLY PAYED AND RECORDED.

LOVE IT !!!!!!!

Sean

Wow! Truly stoked. Thanks for the responses!

Toki - Glad you liked it! I am aware of the kick.. it needs to be a little less punch and a bit more warmth. I recorded it on ADAT and have a hope to re-record the drums without losing the sync (the original SMPTE track was lost in the process) to get a softer, less abrasive, yet still intense drum sound.

B Sabbath - Glad you like the vocals, as that was my primary concern! The noise came with some really bad decisions with not recording dry at the source. When I remixed it, would you believe that the highs were turned all the way down on some channels? Although I plan on keeping the basic guitars, I may redo the panned electric guitar at the chorus for something a bit warmer. And I wish I could share your enthusiasm on Code Veronica. I honestly did not know about my avatar. Blame Chrisharris. He's the guy that designed it!

Joro, thanks for the kudos. I'll keep the idea of the bass in mind. It may correct itself if I can recut the drums (I'd redo the whole song, but I really like the acoustic guitars and lead wah guitar)

And what do you mean? An African or European swallow? :D

Smellyfuzz - Yo man, I am truly touched. You're right in that normally I tend to record music on the heavier side, and your concern is warranted. But I'm glad you liked it and that the solo guitar hit you so hard! There's nothing like affecting your audience in just the right way!

Thanks again guys!!

Cy

I really like this one, I like the panning of the ultra dry distorted electric.

The solo was good and the vocals are sweet.

As you mentioned earlier, the kick has some issues but otherwise I really like this one...keeping it on my mp3 rotation.

Bass guitar needs to be pushed up to a higher freq range. It seems really loud in the sub- bass area. Also needs some 2-3K bump to make it more distinct.

The kick seems to be left of center, the drums in general for that matter. A little wierd but hey I kind of liked it.

The vocal is 1 db too low for me. Just a hair louder.

Overall I think it makes a good album cut.

Thanks guys,

Didn't know about the low bass freq probs.. probably couldve caught it by monitoring at the right db level.. Might do well to ride the fader a bit on the vox and get things a bit more consistent..

Glad you like it overall!

Cy

cyrokk the rokk monster. very crisp. The first thing that popped out was the low end. I was listening on headphones and the off centered kick combined with the sub-bass levels sort of gave an out of phase feel. I don't have a phase correlation meter to check it here at work, but you might want to look into that. Great song writing. More vocals! Solid drum programming. Killer solo. Can't wait to get my CD in the mail!

Nice job Cy,

An interesting melody.

Mix wise there seems to be some areas of the spectrum missing. You said this was from 1998 under complete noobosity.

Its worth taking another stab and rerecording with all the new found expertise you have gotton from this BBS :D

Cool arrangement and use of space. For a noob you had a good understanding of how to use your gear!

You oughta hear my first stuff.........:eek:

jcmm said:
Its worth taking another stab and rerecording with all the new found expertise you have gotton from this BBS :D

Actually, this is the only one out of the whole batch that I am considering for plastic surgery.. The rest of the tunes are being completely rerecorded from scratch with the great knowledge i have taken from this fine place.. Hopefully I can fit this one in with the newer takes without too much trouble! Glad you liked it!

Reel my man,

Thanks for listening and giving your groovy opinion! Glad you enjoyed it! :)

My Buddy Cy!!!!!

My first thought was how much I hate drum machines.
But that is not your problem, that is mine.

The tune is VERY creative. I really dug all the chordal changes, and would love to have drummed on this tune, as I love where you were going with the drumming on it.

The guitar solo was cool, but could have used a little more "crunch" behind it. The wah-wah is a nice touch.

Seems like most of the vocalists round here (Including me) are scared to death to bring their vocals up in the mix. DO IT!!!! ;)

Nice tune, Cy...And I knew there would be those great chord changes in it, as you were THE MAN at the Jamfest with riffing on the guitar.

VI

VI! My brother!!!

Thanks a ton for your input!

I know exactly what you mean about the tendency to bury vocals.. the night I was mixing this I was worried that they would be too loud.. I had to break out some Floyd to guage how loud the vocals should be.. and when I wasn't looking my fingers STILL brought the faders down.. definately need to break that habit!

I'm already looking forward to seeing you next year!.. nothing like jamming with talent!!!

Cy

At first, I thought this was the same song as #4 on your disc... the only one w/vocals... but it's not, is it?

Really cool to hear you sing, man. Multi-talented individual... the guitar is a given. you should sing more!

I'd give you a better idea of the recording situation if this room were a good monitoring situation... but it's not treated, early reflections, needs bass traps... ... etc whatever...

A cool song borrowing from what sounds like both Floyd and Metallica. :cool:

C

participant said:
At first, I thought this was the same song as #4 on your disc... the only one w/vocals... but it's not, is it?

Actually, yeah it is.. just in mp3 form :D

Man.. thanks for the compliments, especially on the vocals! Maybe I should take this as a sign that I should just cut them and not try and wait when the house is empty!

You are correct on the Floyd and Metallica reference.. IIRC, I especially had Metallica in mind when I arranged for the crunch chorus..

Glad you like it compadre!

Cy

Back