Check what I got for Christmas...

32-20-Blues

My brother bought me one of these - it's a Stewart Macdonald ukulele kit, all solid mahogany.

I'm stoked about it - I've been playing the ukulele quite a bit recently, and this will give me a nice instrument and some woodworking experience.

The only part I'm majorly concerned about is installing the frets, but I figure that, with some care and patience, I should be able to manage.

Pretty awesome present, I have to say, and the results should be a step up from what I'm playing on at the moment.

Attachments

• Ukulele.jpg
    Ukulele.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 114
that looks fun, my kid really wants a uke.

i agree the wood work exp would be a blast if it comes out right.

keep the picks on the progress coming.....it'll be one of the more interesting posts imo.

IZ

My brother bought me one of these - it's a Stewart Macdonald ukulele kit, all solid mahogany.

I'm stoked about it - I've been playing the ukulele quite a bit recently, and this will give me a nice instrument and some woodworking experience.

The only part I'm majorly concerned about is installing the frets, but I figure that, with some care and patience, I should be able to manage.

Pretty awesome present, I have to say, and the results should be a step up from what I'm playing on at the moment.
No problems with the frets. Just ask away if your not sure. Happy Christmas and welcome to the world of luthiery..

No problems with the frets. Just ask away if your not sure. Happy Christmas and welcome to the world of luthiery..

Hi Muttley, and thanks.

I have my first question already. Around the soundhole on the top, there is a channel that has been routed for the rosette. I would rather a plain top (without a rosette), so I was wondering if I could just flip the top over? The routed channel will then be on the underside of the top.

There might be a 'good' and 'bad' side to the top, but looking at them, I can't see any difference.

And I'm thinking about a Tru-Oil finish, because it's easy and looks good (from the examples I've seen). What do you reckon?

Holy Cow, I never would have figured Pauly would have been that thoughtful!!
I built a kit Uke last fall but it was nowhere near the quality of that one. Congrats 32-20 dude!

What a shit present! What bell-end got you that?

It says right in the post, his brother.

Sweet present. I'm looking forward to hearing clips (and seeing pics of construction). Do you record your uke? If so, do you do it just like acc guitar? Doesn't seem like it would be necessary to use two mice with such a limited range, but I've never tried it. Two passes with a 57? Just one with a LDC? Naiant?

Sweet present. I'm looking forward to hearing clips (and seeing pics of construction). Do you record your uke? If so, do you do it just like acc guitar? Doesn't seem like it would be necessary to use two mice with such a limited range, but I've never tried it. Two passes with a 57? Just one with a LDC? Naiant?

His brother sounds like a dick!

Hey. Yeah, I'll be posting pics of my progress. I'm going to take a deep breath and start tomorrow.

I have recorded my uke in the past with a LDC (Studio Projects) and with the onboard condensors on my Zoom H4 (actually pretty good mics). Both methods work fine - I find it's much easier than recording a guitar, due to the smaller soundboard.

And sometimes, just for the hell of it, I clip on a piezo and put it through a bunch of pedals. :)

Anfontan, how did your uke turn out? Any problems? Any advice you can give me? Was it one of the Grizzly kits, by any chance?

And sometimes, just for the hell of it, I clip on a piezo and put it through a bunch of pedals. :)

That is just too funny because here is the response I just gave you're bro on my thread about my new amp I gave myself for Christmas......

Originally Posted by TelePaul
Those cleans sound damn good anfont. It sounds like a blues machine!

Wonder what a Ukulele would sound like through it? Delta Blues Uke!

Anfontan, how did your uke turn out? Any problems? Any advice you can give me? Was it one of the Grizzly kits, by any chance?

My kit turned out fine-and I 'm quite sure it was a Grizzly. All we had to do was to attach the top and the neck and just give it a clear coat finish. It was a class project through the College's Craft Shop in town-I did a Tele kit there last year that turned out great also!

My kit turned out fine-and I 'm quite sure it was a Grizzly. All we had to do was to attach the top and the neck and just give it a clear coat finish. It was a class project through the College's Craft Shop in town-I did a Tele kit there last year that turned out great also!

Cool. Sweet amp, by the way, it sounds great. Looks very cool, too.

He's my brother, the guy who bought me the kit. He's just kidding around.

Thanks for sticking up for me, though. :)
OOPS:o
MY Bad, Sorry bout that, I did'nt know:eek:

Nice Uke kit BTW.

My son got his first build your own guitar kit this christmas this year too
it is a les Paul with a flamed maple top.
it is a really nice kit, it is a Saga Kit.
I would have let him build one from raw materials but the woods I use are too expensive if he messes up so I thought a kit would be the best thing for him to learn some basic stuff for now.

Have Fun putting your Uke together.

large rubber bands work excellently for clamping the body together
I just thought I would throw in an assembly tip there since I called your bro a dick:cool: :D

OOPS:o
MY Bad, Sorry bout that, I did'nt know:eek:

Nice Uke kit BTW.

My son got his first build your own guitar kit this christmas this year too
it is a les Paul with a flamed maple top.
it is a really nice kit, it is a Saga Kit.
I would have let him build one from raw materials but the woods I use are too expensive if he messes up so I thought a kit would be the best thing for him to learn some basic stuff for now.

Have Fun putting your Uke together.

large rubber bands work excellently for clamping the body together
I just thought I would throw in an assembly tip there since I called your bro a dick:cool: :D

I built a couple of those Saga Tele kits a few years back and they turned out very well-having everything pre-drilled and the neck and body pocket matched up from the factory is a great time saver. It only took about an hour or so to assemble everything once the finish was on it. I'm guessing the les Paul is a bolt on neck or it there a neck thru option now?

Back